Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

155r15 in the rear
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: 155r15 in the rear Reply with quote

Has anybody ran a 155r15 in the rear before or is there a reason not to? I’ll have 145r15 in front with drop spindles. I’m trying to avoid the raked look on my ‘65.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 155r15 in the rear Reply with quote

155r in the rear is not going to do much. maybe 1/2 inch difference .
some folks like the raked/stink bug look. Very Happy
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 155r15 in the rear Reply with quote

Quite literally millions of Beetles have run 155R15 tires over the years, no issues. It was the factory available size for radial tires.
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 155r15 in the rear Reply with quote

sgmalt46 wrote:
155r in the rear is not going to do much. maybe 1/2 inch difference .
some folks like the raked/stink bug look. Very Happy

Haha! I agree and maybe I’d like the rake more if it had a large motor, but I want it to look chill.
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 155r15 in the rear Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Quite literally millions of Beetles have run 155R15 tires over the years, no issues. It was the factory available size for radial tires.

That’s what I thought too, yet I couldn’t find any search results with people talking about it. I’m not sure why 165r15 became the new norm.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 155r15 in the rear Reply with quote

JDub113 wrote:
mukluk wrote:

That’s what I thought too, yet I couldn’t find any search results with people talking about it. I’m not sure why 165r15 became the new norm.

I'm not sure why 165R15 became the norm either, maybe because it's a little closer in diameter to the 5.60x15 bias ply than 155R15 is or maybe folks started to learn a somewhat wider tire handles better... just a WAG. Incidentally, I've been running 155R15 tires on my '60 for over eight years.

Radial tire size and inflation info started showing up in Bug owner's manuals beginning with the 1969 model.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: 155r15 in the rear Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
JDub113 wrote:
mukluk wrote:

I'm not sure why 165R15 became the norm either, maybe because it's a little closer in diameter to the 5.60x15 bias ply than 155R15 is or maybe folks started to learn a somewhat wider tire handles better... just a WAG. Incidentally, I've been running 155R15 tires on my '60 for over eight years.

Radial tire size and inflation info started showing up in Bug owner's manuals beginning with the 1969 model.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

165 r15 tyres became the norm due to price, as 155s became less popular as cars with narrow 15 inch rims like Saabs and Citroens became less popular, the price increased and made 165s the cheaper alternative. As the same thing is starting to happen with 165 tyres, 185 65r15 is the next size used on modern cars that gives a similar rolling circumference
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: