Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

porting s.p. heads?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

any of ya'll ever do any porting and flow testing on single port heads? what was results?
one, im just curious and two, i got a buddy building a rat rod type vw and thinking about dual carbing a single port. i picture a retro 60's look with some long runners and tall velocity stacks, maybe not what he's planning but i think it'd look cool.
i know single ports aren't the popular choice ( which is another reason i like the idea ) but i remember seeing a few threads where stock s.p. was compared to stock d.p. and there wasn't much difference?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

back in the '80's I ported a set of SP and ran a 34 pict3 (cut off the flange from a DP manifold and welded on to a SP manifold)

1600 SP w/stock cam and sig erson 1.5's

ran mid/low 17's in the 1/4 with a full body stock trans

you can get more from a DP, but sometimes it fun just seeing what you make out of scrap parts...
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

if you know what your doing yes they should work good, you can do a lot as with most heads.the better you are and the more equipment you have to do it with the more power you could see...if you know what your doing.and just want to.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

Send them to Brian e or follow his advise outlined here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682243&highlight=
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

THAT.
74 Thing wrote:

1776 sgl port w. W100 cam, 1,25 rockers on intake, 4-1 header w dual mufflers and modded dual 34 mm Solex.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have actually been experimenting with a 90,5 x 80 (2060cc) for an early 60īs split bus, using 40 Kadrons as induction and a camouflaged Vintage speed type muffler for stealth look. The first 110 hp are reasonably easyl to find without sacrificing nice and clean idle, which is a must in this case. But after that it gets difficult. 120 hp is reasonably easy to find, but at the cost of a lopey idle. One of the eye openers was that there was almost no performance gain with a 39 mm intake valve over a 37,5 mm valve eventhough the 39 mm valved flowed better in the bench. Something happens with the reversion around there. So far I have not found out what or where.

Last edited by Alstrup on Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:

I think he's not porting anymore, except for his own builds.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

I have only done a little with SP heads but what little I did worked nicely.
IMO achieving more flow though the port is only one piece of the puzzle, and only worth focusing on once all else is figured out and proportioned right.
the choice of cam, valve size, and seat angles is a slightly tricky thing because one runner feeds two valves.....the amount of overlap between those valves is important. Has to be enough, so so the runner can transition from feeding one to feeding the other with minimal interruption, but not too much. Too much then the intake flow during that period takes the path of least resistance instead of it going where you want it to go.

37mm valve is a fine size for the largest intake manifold it is possible to normally fit on the head. fitting a larger intake manifold might be as simple as boring the pocket larger, but I haven't done that yet.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

modok wrote:

37mm valve is a fine size for the largest intake manifold it is possible to normally fit on the head. fitting a larger intake manifold might be as simple as boring the pocket larger, but I haven't done that yet.

Thatīs what I did because the same procedure have worked very well on 30 hp (36 us) engines with more bore and up to 35 mm intake valves. But for some reason at least this set of heads did not like it much. Changes in exhaust and exhaust valve lift didnīt cast any light over why.4
This is a slow project. I only work on it once in a while. When spring is over I might take it off the shelf again.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

Any of you that have done port work doing 3 or more angle valve jobs? I'm thinking that would keep the air speed up? Instead of a bigger valve?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

Of course.
If there is not enough room on the seat insert for what I feel are the correct angles, I consider that a problem, and find a way to fix it.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
THAT.
74 Thing wrote:

1776 sgl port w. W100 cam, 1,25 rockers on intake, 4-1 header w dual mufflers and modded dual 34 mm Solex.

I have actually been experimenting with a 90,5 x 80 (2060cc) for an early 60īs split bus, using 40 Kadrons as induction and a camouflaged Vintage speed type muffler for stealth look. The first 110 hp are reasonably easyl to find without sacrificing nice and clean idle, which is a must in this case. But after that it gets difficult. 120 hp is reasonably easy to find, but at the cost of a lopey idle. One of the eye openers was that there was almost no performance gain with a 39 mm intake valve over a 37,5 mm valve eventhough the 39 mm valved flowed better in the bench. Something happens with the reversion around there. So far I have not found out what or where.
..................................................................................................................alstrup what year single port heads do you think were the best heads to port ?. . my self i like the 1968 to 1970s single port heads .i have had the best luck with the 1970s single port heads . take care spencerfvee
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

I have posted these elsewhere before, but here they are again. I did them a long time ago, and they worked pretty good. Decent amount of work, but the engine drove pretty nice. I filled the copper sealing ring groove, and then made it larger diameter. I moved the mounting studs out, and made them 8mm. Then I made new tapered Kadron manifolds with the larger ID at the bottom flange. The engine was a 1915cc, stock crank, these heads, Web 218/119, 8.5, and a 1 3/8" header. Next time I would stick to a 1776, or 1835, and use a smaller cam. No more than 238deg @ .050".

In the end, they flowed about the same as a warmed up dual port head with the same size valves.
I still have the heads and manifolds, and I keep thinking I should rework them a bit and build another engine for them. A 37mm intake valve would most likely help. I have learned a lot about seat angles and valve jobs since these were done 8 years ago, and I know they can be made better now.

I have built a lot of quick easy single port heads since then, and following the link 74thing posted is the best thing to do for most guys. The valve job is VERY important, and the easiest way to see the biggest gains. A very simple 1776, 8.5, dolled up heads just like the other link I did, a cb2232 cam, kads and a header make for a great little engine. Easy to build, easy to drive, and relatively cheap to build.

Racerdave and Roy will be along shorty to tell us all how single port heads are a complete waste of time........😂😂😂😂🤦🏼‍♂️

Brian
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

Racerdave and Roy will be along shorty to tell us all how single port heads are a complete waste of time........😂😂😂😂🤦🏼‍♂️

Hehe.

Wrt cam. I agree as such. It is VERY easy to overcam a sgl port. That said I have used up to 10 degrees split on some sgl ports. I built a 1914 several years ago (the only sgl port 1914 I have ever built, and will not build 94 mm bore sgl ports again for several reasons) That was for a split bus and on custumers reques.t Ended up with 6 degrees split, 0,010" difference in valve lift, and 110 LC
- Actually, in slightly larger than stock displacement sgl port engines w. dual carbs the Engle W100 cam works quite well. Also, in the same range, even stock carbed sgl ports controlled by a W90 works surprisingly well, - as long as you are not affraid of compression. - Not my favourite, but it deserves to be menthioned.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

I think many single port intakes are too restrictive.duels&singles, you can over carb a intake&under carb the same engine.... personaly If I were to do a single port I would split the ports,make each bigger run a devider in the intake so it would now be a duel port...in single port clothes. if the fireing order was different the stock system would run beter with more cam.but it aint so it is what it is.( making a bigger single port looking manifold into a duel wouldn't be that hard to do.) or just stay with the single stuff and have a lopey idle...witch is what most want any way.
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

My first "Hi perf" engine was a single port 1776, fitted a Webcam 218 ground on 103 LC, kadrons with 32 mm vents, ran great.

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I think many single port intakes are too restrictive.duels&singles, you can over carb a intake&under carb the same engine.... personaly If I were to do a single port I would split the ports,make each bigger run a devider in the intake so it would now be a duel port...in single port clothes. if the fireing order was different the stock system would run beter with more cam.but it aint so it is what it is.( making a bigger single port looking manifold into a duel wouldn't be that hard to do.) or just stay with the single stuff and have a lopey idle...witch is what most want any way.

You are correct.
If you look at flow numbers alone it is pretty much like Brian also menthions in his sgl port thread, that the first 120 cfm @ 25" and 0,500" lift are pretty easy to get. The 37,5 intakes that I have done flowed 142 cfm @ 0,530" and the 39 made 145 cfm at 0,540" what was odd was that the 39 mm valve did not improve performance one bit even though the carb/ manifold flow potential was present. I did not work more with it at the time, but some day I will research it again and find the issue. We also have more hardware to test today than we did back then.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

You are correct.
If you look at flow numbers alone it is pretty much like Brian also menthions in his sgl port thread, that the first 120 cfm @ 25" and 0,500" lift are pretty easy to get. The 37,5 intakes that I have done flowed 142 cfm @ 0,530" and the 39 made 145 cfm at 0,540" what was odd was that the 39 mm valve did not improve performance one bit even though the carb/ manifold flow potential was present. I did not work more with it at the time, but some day I will research it again and find the issue. We also have more hardware to test today than we did back then.

id need to go look a s.p. head again, but without looking.. what if instead of dividing the ports you hogged out the intake chamber to be one big chamber? could the small diameter of the intake increase the air / fuel velocity to the larger chamber to feed the intakes and get any benefits? i dont know what the hell im talking about, just jabbering goofy ideas.
also, yall talked about overlap hurting s.p. flow? would a s.p. benefit from a cam with a wider lsa then?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:

id need to go look a s.p. head again, but without looking.. what if instead of dividing the ports you hogged out the intake chamber to be one big chamber?
could the small diameter of the intake increase the air / fuel velocity to the larger chamber to feed the intakes and get any benefits? i dont know what the hell im talking about, just jabbering goofy ideas.
No. You need a certain amount of port to direct the flow into the valve seat, - and chamber.
also, yall talked about overlap hurting s.p. flow? would a s.p. benefit from a cam with a wider lsa then?
ABSOLLUTELY! As I wrote earlier, split duration, split lift and wider lobe separation all helps.
Not that I would recommend this, because there is much more to it than just cam overlap. But just for you to get an idea about it.
We take a regular W100 cam. It has approx 20 degrees overlap at tdc.
Then we can take another shelf cam, the TSC 10 It is 247/236 @ 0,050" and 112 LC. This cam has only 17 degrees overlap at tdc, - so theoreticly this cam would idle BETTER than the milder W100 on a regular 108 lc.

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

I remember some formula-V heads I once saw, the port volume was hogged out to become one big bowl, and the intake was welded up for a four-bolt flange to clamp the manifold onto. They were flycut like crazy, and were just one big crack.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: porting s.p. heads? Reply with quote

with bigger valves always make sure the chamber is un shrouded. chamber shapes affect flow a lot more than most people think on intake and exhaust. most people dont have a clue what a port needs to flow better and just do some pretty look at what I did work....kinda like fake boobs..did the fake boobs for the real issues??probably not.
also....many people dont realize the chamber shape starts at the 45 degree seat. and that aera and the next 3/8-3/4" outward is very important to flow. just look at how flow increases as the chamber is milled. ad to that a proper shaped chamber and you have the start of a good head,untill know it all joe bubba type exspurt car club president machinist with his fully equipped machine shop( die grinder)gets a hold of it....in the dirt ..on the dirt floor of his shed trying to make some $$ so he can send his car to somebody to get it to start and fix all the effed up stuff.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: