Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gs2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Some pics of a Sportsmobile Clubcar that I have not seen listed here yet

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fried_chicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone know how to adjust or fix the mechanism on the top . When mine lifts it leans to one side and is wobbly .

[/img]
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

fried_chicken wrote:
Anyone know how to adjust or fix the mechanism on the top . When mine lifts it leans to one side and is wobbly .

[/img]

I would guess maybe the spring tension is off? Hard to tell without more pictures. Mine (later model top) has turnbuckles to adjust the tension of the lift springs. Either that or one of the cross members has to be bent
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

are you missing a guide on the ceiling of the penthouse? the place where the lift slides in the long U shaped brackets? it controls height, but if missing one, i could see some sideways movement happen.

is it hard to lift, or do the springs still feel like they are doing their job?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

the early tops used small (sink drain) chains in the rear going from corner to corner in a [X] pattern to stop the side to side sway.
it is crude and not really effective that's why they upgraded the design to include a crossbar to eliminate/minimize sway.

but replace the chains with small/thin vinyl coated cables. that limit the ability for the top to move to the left or the right.

here you can see the late model top lift mechanism, I bet your's doesn't look like this.

fried_chicken wrote:

[/img]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

late model tops go all the way to the rear rain gutter in the back

early model tops cut across the roof in the back.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fried_chicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Mine is the late model version . 71 panel van converted by sportsmobile. Makes sense , the chains are not in an x pattern by any means . I will upgrade those to some cable and give that a try . My tent is trashed , but iam just trying to get things right before I tackle that job somewhere down the line .
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

here is another image of the newer design..

flcollins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Hey guys. Does anyone know a good source for the side trim (vertical trim) on the jealous windows? PO replaced the side trim (seal?) with some metal trim pieces. Working on restoring the windows this fall.

What I have

What I am trying to achieve

I have picked up all the other trim/seals from https://www.vintagetrailergaskets.com/ and everything seems to be correct, just can't find these vertical pieces.

Thanks for anyone's/everyone's help.
DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

We have paint!
To round out good ol’ 2021, I managed to finally finish painting my bus. This has been an arduous 5 year journey. But at long last I can begin the final chapters.
Would anyone be able to advise me on bus rubber? German? Brazilian? Who is the most economical? Thanks all.

1957 Sunroof Beetle • 1964 Beetle • 1958 Westfalia Subhatch • 1955 Baja Bus • 1970 Sportsmobile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
killerbee2003
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Finally got my new sporty top on! Had the tent made by CHC probably more than 6 years ago. Went together really nice.

70 westfalia bus
flcollins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

DougClink wrote:
We have paint!
To round out good ol’ 2021, I managed to finally finish painting my bus. This has been an arduous 5 year journey. But at long last I can begin the final chapters.
Would anyone be able to advise me on bus rubber? German? Brazilian? Who is the most economical? Thanks all.

If your are looking for front door seals, I can't say enough good things about the Airheadsparts seals.

https://airheadparts.com/vw-part/bay-window-bus-door-seal-front-door-type-2-211-831-722-d/
DougClink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Here are some new pictures. As you can see the guide, plate? bracket? is the same for both sides. Having worked on many motorhomes and other recreational vehicle type projects, I know that corners get cut, and sometimes the workers are not as diligent. This made me believe that perhaps two of the same brackets were installed by mistake, when it should have been one for one side in a different one for the other side. However, after searching through many photos, it does appear that they only made one. Can anyone confirm this?

Note, this is for a 1970 model, with the crossbars on the outside of the tent fabric. I’m guessing that the 68 through 71 had this configuration. After that, the bars moved to the inside of the tent.

In order to get maximum height from my penthouse roof, I will need to move the bracket backward as it is now limiting the bars that hold the top up. Is there a reason why I shouldn’t do this? Will it make it too unstable?

I had considered making a new mirrored image one from scratch.

Please look at the photos and provide feedback, thank you in advance.

1957 Sunroof Beetle • 1964 Beetle • 1958 Westfalia Subhatch • 1955 Baja Bus • 1970 Sportsmobile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MaddMatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

I am loving this thread.

I've had several bay campers, and I've worked on a few sportmobiles. Recently, I acquired a 1966 Sportmobile. It's been really cool seeing how the interiors have evolved.

Owned: 71 Superbeetle, 72 Superbeetle, 63 Baja (on 69 pan) 74 baja, 74 Karmann Ghia

Own: 71 Deluxe Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone have detailed pictures/directions/materials used to bolt one of these down on their roof? I have 70 bay westy with a sportsmobile top to install but am unsure of the correct way to go about installing. Pictures would be amazing for how people installed. Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sportsmobilers Unite! FAQ Reply with quote

Hello everybody, I brought home this 1973 Sportsmobile Penthouse pop top to convert a 1973 transporter to a pop top. I believe this is a later model that takes canvas (correction its vinyl) outside the support rods. Bus Depot sells the canvas tent for it. I have read a lot of posts, a few build threads, and studied some pictures.... but I still have a few basic questions that someone may know the answers to before I take a sawzall to my bus roof.

My own guesstimates from further study are in green

1. Dimensions of the hole.

Front to back is from the middle of post between side windows to immediately above the cargo wall behind the front seat. Side to side is outside edge of headrests on front seats.

2. Location of the hole fore and aft, in relation to a distinguishing feature of the existing vehicle, something like a window seam or a metal support brace across the existing roof.

Front to back is from the middle of post between side windows to immediately above the cargo wall behind the front seat. A further clue is the brochure says it will not interfere with factory overhead air conditioning unit in the front

3. What is used to squeeze the bottom of the canvas (correction its vinyl) skirt to the metal bus roof. Someone suggested wood strips, which I can imagine for the upper part, but is that also at the bottom where it might get wet? I think my Vanagon westy used an aluminum trim if I recall.

From the outside, the bulge really does look like its wood. Um, I mean... Anyway, the tent is made of vinyl so that should be waterproof. Hey now.

4. How does the bed extension attach to the hole securely in place above the hole? I read that it is a loose board. My Vanagon Westy bed extension was on two hinges, for example. What keeps the bed extension from falling down through the roof when you are moving around on it above?

Thank you all!

Here are some "as found" pictures of what a hundred bucks can get you if you are willing to drive some distance. It was a good weekend for the bus!

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Jump to:
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: