Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Slider (Electrical contacts for power door locks)
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Slider (Electrical contacts for power door locks) Reply with quote

Need a favor.

Can someone please take a picture of the electrical contacts for the slider door, power locks?

Going to replace the originals, as they're no longer functioning properly. I have tested for continuity. I have good voltage to the contact plate at the "B" pillar, but that's where it stops. Purchased new parts, but I'd like to make sure what was installed was done properly. I'm asking because it would appear that perhaps something isn't quite right.

Here's how things appeared when I removed the contact plate:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Might be difficult to tell from the picture however, the right side of the contact appears to be damaged:

Couldn't help but wonder if this was a direct result of contact between the sender and the contact plate. The tips of the sender look ground down, almost as if they were filed down:

Here's what the brand new one looks like:

Nice, round, spherical contacts.

I installed the new contact plate and it seemed to go in as it should have:

The screw holes lined up perfectly, but I couldn't help but notice the "rails" on the right side. This got me thinking that perhaps something occurred in the past that led to the parts being damaged. Is it possible that perhaps they're supposed to be on the opposite side, and the the "ramp" looking side should face outward?

Please let me know what your contact plated looks like.

Thanks in advance!
Cool
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Slider (Electrical contacts for power door locks) Reply with quote

I’m not home till Monday but I would guess the ramps let the pins slide out without catching the plastic, of course
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Slider (Electrical contacts for power door locks) Reply with quote

Looks like it's mounted properly. Is it working?

1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Slider (Electrical contacts for power door locks) Reply with quote

Just wondering where you sourced the new parts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Slider (Electrical contacts for power door locks) Reply with quote

1961tbird wrote:
Just wondering where you sourced the new parts?

I bought them from a VW dealership. Called them up with the part number and had them shipped in. I'm a big fan of going there first, as it is so much easier to pay (cry once) up front for a part that I know is going to fit and will much likely be of superior quality to most aftermarket parts. I have an old '74 Westy that I have owned for a long time. Being able to buy parts at the dealer for it is a thing of the past...sadly! If I had known then what I know now about trying to keep these rigs on the road, I likely would have bought a bunch of parts and created a NOS stash! Lesson learned is buy them now, while they're available!!! Jeez, short story long. Shocked Laughing

Hope that helps! Cool
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Slider (Electrical contacts for power door locks) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I’m not home till Monday but I would guess the ramps let the pins slide out without catching the plastic, of course

That's what I thought, as it would appear that way intuitively. However, I believe it was installed correctly, as streamr indicated in his/her photo.

Out of curiosity, how does your's look?

As always, many thanks!!!
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Slider (Electrical contacts for power door locks) Reply with quote

For the sake of closing out the thread, I wanted to say that I got everything installed and buttoned up. I'm happy to report that everything is working as it should! Yahoo!

There were a couple things that needed to be done in order to get things sorted. I'm not sure if the original door lock actuator only had 3 pins or 4. The one I ordered from Amazon matched the two that I installed in the front doors. They all came with 4 pins. I say this as there were only 3 wires for the slider, while there were 4 wires at the two front doors. When I installed it, it immediately went into spaz mode and kept trying to cycle repeatedly. Looking a little more closely at the wires led me to realize that the wires were out of place and I needed to move a couple. Very straight forward. Brown wire (ground) to brown wire, yellow and white wires should match too. In order for things to line up correctly, I had to re-pin the wire harness coming from the b-pillar in. I used a tool similar to this one:

Once everything was installed, I very gingerly closed the door to see how things would operate. It appears as if the "rails" throw the spheres into place as the door begins to close. Good contact was made and the door now locks and unlocks as it should. One other thing I needed to do was to fashion a push rod for the door pull out of a wire coat hanger, as there wasn't one there before. Anyhow, I'm tickled. Here's how things ended up:

Even threw the interior door panel back on, now that the vinyl dye had sufficiently dried. I'm thrilled with the way it came out. I'll be installing the rest of the surround and the shades in the next couple of days, as I just finished cleaning them up:

Thanks for the help! Cool
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Slider (Electrical contacts for power door locks) Reply with quote

Very nice write-up with pics. Thanks

And yes, I might buy the parts while they’re still available

I can probably research and locate the part numbers but if you have those handy, that would be great if you could provide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Slider (Electrical contacts for power door locks) Reply with quote

1961tbird wrote:
Very nice write-up with pics. Thanks

And yes, I might buy the parts while they’re still available

I can probably research and locate the part numbers but if you have those handy, that would be great if you could provide.

My apologies! Should have thought to list them above.

Contact plate (found on the b-pillar) 701-959-377
Sender (found on sliding door) 701-959-375-E

Hope that helps!
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Slider (Electrical contacts for power door locks) Reply with quote

Many thanks.

I pulled apart the sliding door about a year ago and replaced the 3 prong activator (with a used one) and cleaned up/aligned everything. Greasing the inside locking mechanism helped a lot too.

Worked for a while but now the sliding door lock will not raise when opening all the doors. Strange. It does lock (?). Not a big deal because I just use a key or reach in from the passenger door but disappointing nonetheless considering how much time I spent renovating the sliding door. My contact plate on the B pillar is rather beat up. So if I have to dive in again, replacing those parts might be warranted.

Again, thanks
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Slider (Electrical contacts for power door locks) Reply with quote

1961tbird wrote:
Many thanks.

I pulled apart the sliding door about a year ago and replaced the 3 prong activator (with a used one) and cleaned up/aligned everything. Greasing the inside locking mechanism helped a lot too.

Worked for a while but now the sliding door lock will not raise when opening all the doors. Strange. It does lock (?). Not a big deal because I just use a key or reach in from the passenger door but disappointing nonetheless considering how much time I spent renovating the sliding door. My contact Cool Cool plate on the B pillar is rather beat up. So if I have to dive in again, replacing those parts might be warranted.

Again, thanks

A little frustrating for sure! Stick with it. Have you checked for continuity/voltage at the b-pillar? Might also check the actuator to be 100% sure it's working properly. They're relatively inexpensive. I bought Asian copies off amazon. I think they were about $15 a piece. Keep us posted, would love to know how things turned out. Cool
smores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Slider (Electrical contacts for power door locks) Reply with quote

1961tbird wrote:
Many thanks.

Worked for a while but now the sliding door lock will not raise when opening all the doors. Strange. It does lock (?). Not a big deal because I just use a key or reach in from the passenger door but disappointing nonetheless considering how much time I spent renovating the sliding door. My contact plate on the B pillar is rather beat up. So if I have to dive in again, replacing those parts might be warranted.

Again, thanks

How "domed" are your slider door pins? I thought mine were engaging, and it sure looked like they did based on all I could measure and look. My slider lock would work about 25% of the time. I bought new door side "pin assembly" and it works!! My contact plate I just cleaned up with some 220 grit, no need for a new one there.
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Slider (Electrical contacts for power door locks) Reply with quote

Further update:

Sliding door was locking/unlocking "sometimes"

Replaced original door lock actuator (3 pin) Part # 701 959 681 thus avoiding re-wiring issues mentioned above. Found on eBay.

And since my contact plate and sender were on their last legs and the parts are still available through the VW dealerships, I purchased and installed them too.

An hour later, everything works!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: