Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

split heads?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: split heads? Reply with quote

why is it you dont see split heads now like you used to? weren't they the bees knees at one time? or was it just something that was popular but not really beneficial?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: split heads? Reply with quote

There's also the issue of very limited number of choices: I think they were only ever made by one company, and only in one size; I think it may have been Scat.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: split heads? Reply with quote

yep scat split ports. they still make them. ! never knew anyone to use them.
maybe the $1500+ price point is a bit much for most. would be interesting to see if anyone chimes in if they tried them Popcorn
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: split heads? Reply with quote

if thats the case id assume youd be limited to scat only rockers for the split heads
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: split heads? Reply with quote

I think they axcept vw type rockers... so no real issue there. I was going to run some but when I got all the $$ up the guy had sold them all...oh well.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: split heads? Reply with quote

I wondered if 4 head studs per split cylinder head was as strong as 8 head studs Combined into 1 head. Especially on a mag case.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: split heads? Reply with quote

I wonder about cooling. There is little room for fins on side where the heads are together.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: split heads? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I think they axcept vw type rockers... so no real issue there. I was going to run some but when I got all the $$ up the guy had sold them all...oh well.

maybe i didn't word it correctly or only wrote a partial though. maybe rockers themselves interchange but they'd have to use different shafts? split head has to = split shaft and you couldn't have just one rocker stud per side..
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: split heads? Reply with quote

Looks like they come with a shaft. Not sure what rockers will work on them. Maybe their Pro Series would though. So at least a 1.25 or 1.4 option. I didn't realize that they were still available. But just checked their site and sure enough. 92, 94 and 101.6 bore options available. $1500 for a set of 48x38 race heads seems pretty competitive to me. A set of un-ported 46x38 Comp-E heads is $1575 or so. Not sure how the split ports compare flow wise to the CB head, but seems to be a not bad alternative.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: split heads? Reply with quote

The Scat split port heads have been around for 30 years. You can tell by how many sets you see exactly how successful they were. Too pricy for most cheap VW people. They seemed to have some popularity in the airplane engine groups.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: split heads? Reply with quote

Keith Seume has a few words about split heads in his book "Aircooled VW Engine Interchange Manual"....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: