Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

collector car insurance?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

So my westy van is worth a lot more than my insurance company says. I've looked around at some collector car insurance companies, but they either won't touch it, they have severe mileage restrictions, or they require that it be garaged at night (thus camping in it is a no-no).

What are you guys doing for insurance? Thanks!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

sorry running out at the moment.
but this topic comes up often,
try here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...h_forum=20

and welcome to Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michaelbteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

Hagerty
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

Some have been accepted by Hagerty but even if they cover it there are limitations. Among them is that you have to have a conventionally insured vehicle for every licensed driver in the household (they don't want anyone using a vehicle they insured as their driver). They are also expecting it to be secure inside a garage though perhaps that alone does not preclude camping.

I have 3 vehicles with Hagerty and will say they are a great company. Obviously when I travel in those vehicles and park overnight at a motel there is no garage - that doesn't seem to worry them. Neither does the mileage driven - they are more concerned with how, when and why it is driven (i.e. they wouldn't want me driving it to work).

When I drove one of the cars they insure from Tucson to Canada I notified them. They sent me bi-lingual insurance cards in a plastic folder that said 'Cruise Liberally'.

All you can do is be honest with them about your situation and plans and see what they say.

Having said all that, I recently went through an insurance claim with one of the two big US carriers and the valuation and coverage for damage was very fair (valuation in the 30's). This was on a basic conventional policy.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

Hagerty wouldn't have anything to do with my daily driver Vanagon campmobile: too many miles driven each year, etc.

Safeco in WA state often comes up as a good solution for Vanagon owners. The agent in West Seattle knows Vanagons and insurance needs related to them.

Call and ask about Agreed Value policy. This is the documentation the agent gave me:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(I stuck with Farmers though. I've been with them for 30 years and we added a rider to my policy that covers $30K in accessories and modifications.)

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

Everything else aside do not get a stated value policy. Agreed value is the way to go.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

Hagerty on our classic and Travelers on our 2 daily drivers. Had the van on travelers and was paying what I pay with Hagerty no comp or collision with Travelers and no agreed value. So, pleased, but hope we never have to find out how good either company is.
tomkat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

Like the OP - I live in WA State.

Just switched my SAFECO Insurance “Agreed Value Collector’s Car Policy” for my “bone stock” ‘90 Syncro Westy to SAFECO’s Agreed Value RV Policy.

Very similar annual premium..with the same liability limits. You must have another vehicle to drive (other than the RV or Collector’s Car)...and the other vehicle(s) must also be insured through SAFECO.

The primary reason I switched to SAFECO’s RV Policy was to drop the annual mileage limit and other Collector Car restrictions on the Collector Car Policy.

To get Agreed Value - you must have a recent Appraisal. I (along with other Samba members and Vanagon owners) have used John Kincl/Auto Ideas for my Appraisals. http://www.autoideas.net/

YMWV. Good luck!

90 Bordeaux (Wine Wagon) Syncro Westy
87 Flash Silver (Silver Slug) Syncro Westy (1996-2011)
86 Bronze Beige Metallic Westy (Tourist Delivery - 1996)
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

John Kincl has done a number of appraisals for me. Recommended.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Cdub!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

I second the Hagerty Insurance suggestion. Had my Westy appraised and realized my insurance with USAA was under valued and they suggested I switch to collector scenario. Same rate WAY better coverage.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

Cdub! wrote:
I second the Hagerty Insurance suggestion. Had my Westy appraised and realized my insurance with USAA was under valued and they suggested I switch to collector scenario. Same rate WAY better coverage.

Is your policy an Agreed Value policy? Does Hagerty in your case have any restrictions such as garaging it overnight, mileage restrictions or requirements that you have other insured cars? I'm curious when Hagerty works and when it doesn't.

Abscate wrote:

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

With Hagerty there was no inspection or appraisal required. That said, maybe they just haven’t shown up yet. I was able to specify the vans value to us. I tried a few different values and the premium goes up or down. When I asked about the syncro camper, they felt I was too low. It’s likely a very safe bet for them.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

My experience with Hagerty has been if the value is within reason then no appraisal was required.

The Western Syncro build
Cdub!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

True to all the above. The only request was a photo of the van at the time the policy was created. The other commenters are accurate in agreed declared value etc.
HBB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

tomkat73 wrote:

Just switched my SAFECO Insurance “Agreed Value Collector’s Car Policy” for my “bone stock” ‘90 Syncro Westy to SAFECO’s Agreed Value RV Policy.

Any chance you could post up the limit of liability provisions of your policy? This "agreed value" topic comes up on the forum all the time, and I've yet to see an example of a policy that would actually pay an agreed value over actual cash value.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

It may not be available in your State. There are 50 variations on this topic
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

HBB wrote:
tomkat73 wrote:

Any chance you could post up the limit of liability provisions of your policy? This "agreed value" topic comes up on the forum all the time, and I've yet to see an example of a policy that would actually pay an agreed value over actual cash value.

If this Safeco documentation doesn't do it for you it's time to call your Safeco agent...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:

R. Deschain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Safeco in WA state often comes up as a good solution for Vanagon owners. The agent in West Seattle knows Vanagons and insurance needs related to them.

This is my agent! I am in West Seattle and they are great with Vanagons.

https://www.youtube.com/mattofmanytrades
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

HBB wrote:
This "agreed value" topic comes up on the forum all the time, and I've yet to see an example of a policy that would actually pay an agreed value over actual cash value.

I have never seen an agreed value policy that would not pay the agreed value in the case of a total loss. Do you have an example of one where they will only pay actual cash value vs the agreed value?

The Western Syncro build
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: collector car insurance? Reply with quote

I also have Hagerty now but in the past was with another smaller collector's insurance company. My switch to Hagerty was driven by having a 24 year old son who also wants to drive our two vintage VWs and Hagerty will allow for drivers under 25 where many collector insurance companies will not. I had some values in mind for both but Hagerty recommended insuring them for more so I went with their recommendations.

Just like collector or vintage vehicle plates you pay less because there are multiple restrictions that you must abide by in exchange for the lower cost. You can't have it both ways. Hagerty is not going to insure a daily driver that you park on the street for an agreed value of $30,000 for $500/year. If you think that you can convince them to do so by just not divulging all of the details regarding your vehicle it will come back to haunt you when you go to make a claim.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: