Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opinions Needed on VIN plate that was removed
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
3day
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Opinions Needed on VIN plate that was removed Reply with quote

so I’m in talks of purchasing a 1956 oval for 13k. Fairly rust free, runner/driver, cal look car on Fuchs. Through looking at the chassis number and body tag plate, the body is a 56 but has a 64 pan. Usually not an issue, but the body tag was at some point removed because the rivets were replaced. The 64 chassis number is stamped into body tag where the manufactured year code goes. There is a 56 chassis number on the tag, but no way to tell if it was from the car originally. I’m not concerned with the numbers not matching, just with the fact that the plate was removed. Is 13k overpaying?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: OPINIONS NEEDED Reply with quote

Depending where the ORDMV looks. The car may be registered as a 64, or a 56.
A restamped tag is a red flag to me. And I really want an oval sometime in my life.

13k For a dicey vin = Pass for me.

You have to decide on your own.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions Needed on VIN plate that was removed Reply with quote

I agree - I don't like that the VIN tag was modified.

I'd probably pass on it for that reason alone unless there is some overriding reason.

This seems like a possible recipe for trouble either getting it registered or if you decide to sell it years in the future.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions Needed on VIN plate that was removed Reply with quote

Just a little insight. I bought a 56 sedan a little over a year ago. Mine was numbers matching. Nearly 100% rust free, original pans with no rust. Heater channels original with no rust. Redone interior, came with a 1776 and freeway flyer that only had 1,200 miles on them along with the stock 36 hp motor and tranny (both supposed to work just fine). Came with 3-4 bins of new parts. Came with a set of original Porsche Fuchs with new tires and a second set of Porsche rims (which I sold already) came with 6 bumpers, 2 engine covers, body work 90% done with no major body work or caked on bondo. I paid 10k. In my opinion yours seems a little over priced, but put some pictures up...maybe it will change someone’s mind.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions Needed on VIN plate that was removed Reply with quote

3day wrote:
so I’m in talks of purchasing a 1956 oval for 13k. Fairly rust free, runner/driver, cal look car on Fuchs. Through looking at the chassis number and body tag plate, the body is a 56 but has a 64 pan. Usually not an issue, but the body tag was at some point removed because the rivets were replaced. The 64 chassis number is stamped into body tag where the manufactured year code goes. There is a 56 chassis number on the tag, but no way to tell if it was from the car originally. I’m not concerned with the numbers not matching, just with the fact that the plate was removed. Is 13k overpaying?

Yes!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions Needed on VIN plate that was removed Reply with quote

Pan is the one who states the VIN, not the body. If body was swapped, it should have riveted the VIN Plate belonging to the pan....
3day
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions Needed on VIN plate that was removed Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The price is 12,500. I have other pics and videos and seems to be a nice, well put together car. For some reason, every other pic I try to upload says it’s a corrupt file. From what I’ve determined, the original tag was removed so they could add the 64 vin to the tag, they put it in the blank box for the manufactured date. The original pan vin is still on the tag. The original number and the body number are a month off, that’s why I think it’s the original tag.
3day
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions Needed on VIN plate that was removed Reply with quote

3day
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions Needed on VIN plate that was removed Reply with quote

Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions Needed on VIN plate that was removed Reply with quote

It's difficult to get to the DMV these days, but maybe have it inspected before you make the purchase? If the vin looks to be altered, there could be problems to register. Looks pretty good overall, some repairs have been done with the rear apron...
3day
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions Needed on VIN plate that was removed Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
It's difficult to get to the DMV these days, but maybe have it inspected before you make the purchase? If the vin looks to be altered, there could be problems to register. Looks pretty good overall, some repairs have been done with the rear apron...

Yeah I saw the rear apron was replaced.
3day
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions Needed on VIN plate that was removed Reply with quote

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: