Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old vw power adder
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joes50pu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Old vw power adder Reply with quote

I purchased this old pulley driven power adder yesterday and looking for Any any information about it.

Thank You!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Old vw power adder Reply with quote

G.E.M. made stacks for go-kart/motorcycle carbs. What's the diameter of that carb? I'm guessing that's off a racing kart or motorcycle. Maybe a snowmobile. That looks like it might be an old Tillotson carb.
joes50pu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Old vw power adder Reply with quote

I just found out from a friend of mine that a friend of his has this setup on a 58 vw.

The carburetor is a TILLOTSON HR 30 A

I will try to post a picture of the back side. The rotary bearing caps have vw Aluminum seal covers....very cool.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Old vw power adder Reply with quote

That "power adder/blower" looks like a Porsche 912 smog pump. Not conventional but it might work on a 36hp. Harley used a Tillotson carb similar to that on the shovelhead, and they were about the same displacement as a 50s VW.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Old vw power adder Reply with quote

Just looked it up, and that carb is stock equipment for late 60s early 70s Rupp and Ski-Doo snowmobiles. It took two of them to run a 600-750cc two stroke one for a 250cc. Sachs also used one on a 290cc single cylinder. I remember these carbs because a friend of mine had an old Ski-Doo 250 with one of these. It was conveniently pointed right at the rider so you could shoot starting fluid down its throat while you rode.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Old vw power adder Reply with quote

Here’s a whole thread on that smog pump.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2683373
joes50pu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Old vw power adder Reply with quote

joes50pu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Old vw power adder Reply with quote

This is the back of the power adder. So its vw. It bolts to the intake. My friend told me he knows someone who is running this exact setup on his 58 Bug.
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Old vw power adder Reply with quote

I think it’s more likely that this carb, blower/smog pump setup was put together for a motorcycle or go-kart. To get more than a pound or two of boost on a 1200 cc motor, you would have to be spinning that tiny smog pump at 15,000-20,000 rpms at 3500rpms engine speed, and even then you would choking the engine with that tiny carb. I’m currently building a 59 engine with an AMR 300 blower, that’s probably twice the size of that smog pump, and at a 2.7:1 drive ratio I’m only expecting to get around 6 or 7 pounds of boost.

The main thing is that carb, it’s just too small to run a 1200cc or larger engine. I don’t doubt you could get that smog pump to run on a 36hp, but not with that carb, and even then any power gains would be meager at best.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Old vw power adder Reply with quote

no matter how much you want to call it a power adder, it is not. it's a smog pump from the 70's
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Old vw power adder Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
no matter how much you want to call it a power adder, it is not. it's a smog pump from the 70's

Don't forget the electric superchargers.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FarmerBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Old vw power adder Reply with quote

Yep, no such thing as a free lunch. However, I bet that thing would make a 200-300cc a bit more peppy.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Old vw power adder Reply with quote

joes50pu wrote:

Looks like somebody got creative with a couple of 80mm gas caps.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Old vw power adder Reply with quote

You can double your HP by putting your fan shroud hoses direct into your carb
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: