Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.7 motor from a '72 914. Will it fit?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: 1.7 motor from a '72 914. Will it fit? Reply with quote

Ok, I posted a week ago about a mint 69 ghia that I am getting in May that I wanted to do some mods to. Everyone was very helpful. But the one thing that seemed to have consensus is the lack of power in these cars. Well, I have an old 914 that I don't need the engine in. I was thinking of fixing it up and putting it in the ghia. Does anyone know if that is possible (easily) and where I would find some info on it. Thanks in advance.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1.7 motor from a '72 914. Will it fit? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=752843&highlight=914+engine+in+type
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1.7 motor from a '72 914. Will it fit? Reply with quote

Fighting Fish wrote:
Ok, I posted a week ago about a mint 69 ghia that I am getting in May that I wanted to do some mods to. Everyone was very helpful. But the one thing that seemed to have consensus is the lack of power in these cars. Well, I have an old 914 that I don't need the engine in. I was thinking of fixing it up and putting it in the ghia. Does anyone know if that is possible (easily) and where I would find some info on it. Thanks in advance.

If you start with a new aluminum type 1 case you can build an engine just as hardy and with more horsepower than a stock 914 engine for less money.
But I get the novelty part. I’ve got a complete 1962 industrial 356 engine I plan on rebuilding and installing in my 62 Ghia.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.7 motor from a '72 914. Will it fit? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Fighting Fish wrote:

If you start with a new aluminum type 1 case you can build an engine just as hardy and with more horsepower than a stock 914 engine for less money.
But I get the novelty part. I’ve got a complete 1962 industrial 356 engine I plan on rebuilding and installing in my 62 Ghia.

I wouldn't begin to know how to do that to be honest. It seems easier to get info about the 914 and do a remove and replace. But I am open to whatever.
Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.7 motor from a '72 914. Will it fit? Reply with quote

To be honest, the more I read on this forum, the more I realize that I don't know shit. It is all just so foreign to me (no pun intended). At this point, I think there is a good bit I am just going to end up paying someone else to do, given both time and money. The spirit is willing but the brain is weak.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.7 motor from a '72 914. Will it fit? Reply with quote

If paying for the work, it will be much more economical to stick with type 1.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.7 motor from a '72 914. Will it fit? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

100%

A quality type IV rebuild these days is around $8-10k in 914 land (I don't know if bus type IV's are comparable). Which is also a number you can easily fly past if you do a performance build, and you'll especially rocket past that to brand new Miata RF money if Jake Raby is building it!

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fighting Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1.7 motor from a '72 914. Will it fit? Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

100%

A quality type IV rebuild these days is around $8-10k in 914 land (I don't know if bus type IV's are comparable). Which is also a number you can easily fly past if you do a performance build, and you'll especially rocket past that to brand new Miata RF money if Jake Raby is building it!

Dang. My buddy just had his 911 rebuild done in Florida, I believe, for around 10k. Process have skyrocketed.

How much horsepower can you get out of the type 1?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1.7 motor from a '72 914. Will it fit? Reply with quote

Yeah, but you can tell everyone “it’s got a Porsche engine in it”.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1.7 motor from a '72 914. Will it fit? Reply with quote

Fighting Fish wrote:

Dang. My buddy just had his 911 rebuild done in Florida, I believe, for around 10k. Process have skyrocketed.

$10k for a 911 rebuild? That's extremely cheap. From what I've seen with 911s $10k will basically buy the rebuild parts and some of the machine work. $20k is typically the starting point for 911 builds that I've heard about.

You can get alot of HP out of a type 1, but the horsepower is inversely proportional to longevity. A quality 1915cc should get you a reliable 120-130hp depending on intake and exhaust choices. A quality built type 1 longblock under 2 liters should cost $2500-3500, and a turnkey around $5-6k. You can get em cheaper for sure, but the cheaper you go the more likely the builder skipped on important things like balancing and machining, and you'll have an engine that destroys itself after a couple thousand miles if you're lucky.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1.7 motor from a '72 914. Will it fit? Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
Fighting Fish wrote:

$10k for a 911 rebuild? That's extremely cheap. From what I've seen with 911s $10k will basically buy the rebuild parts and some of the machine work. $20k is typically the starting point for 911 builds that I've heard about.

You can get alot of HP out of a type 1, but the horsepower is inversely proportional to longevity. A quality 1915cc should get you a reliable 120-130hp depending on intake and exhaust choices. A quality built type 1 longblock under 2 liters should cost $2500-3500, and a turnkey around $5-6k. You can get em cheaper for sure, but the cheaper you go the more likely the builder skipped on important things like balancing and machining, and you'll have an engine that destroys itself after a couple thousand miles if you're lucky.

And you have to find a good builder, no easy fete these days.
My advice is to take it slow and do research on this site. There is a ton of information on the performance forum, maybe too much. You might want to narrow it down to what you want and work from there. Do you want raw short term horsepower or do you want longevity and reliability or something in the middle? These days I choose something in the middle, like a 1776 or 1800 with at most dual Kadrons. In a light car like a Ghia it’s plenty of horsepower.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1.7 motor from a '72 914. Will it fit? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Do you want raw short term horsepower or do you want longevity and reliability or something in the middle?

As the hotrodders like to say: Cheap, fast, reliable...choose any two.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: