Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Life is just so much better once Corn Head Grease comes along!
Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

What’s That Noise?!?
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/SG24AeT_6_0
Listen to this song by the Black Crows, I swear they are saying CORNHEAD Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Well, I got in some drive time. Tried to get on the Freeway mid day but traffic was so bad I couldn't get out of third. Cali is crazy.....
Even though it was running rich most of the time head and oil temps got too high for comfort. Cooler is going in up under the trunk. 60000 btu shed per hour so hopefully that will be enough to make up for lack of air flow. Couldn't find another spot in the rear.
When I shut off the motor I hear this weird farting, hissing sizzling sound that kind of echos. My guess is that an injector is dribbling and the fuel vaporizes in a barrel. The injectors were all tested by Mr Injector but one must be a problem. My original pressure test, the fuel pressure did hold per the Bentley directions. I'm guessing something may have made its way into the injector even with two fuel filters.
The fuel ratio stays constant right up until about 5000rpm where it goes slightly lean. Since I will usually shift no higher than 4500 it would not be a problem except for the probable dribble. I now know that for not much more than I paid to have the injectors tested and cleaned I can get new injectors from the 280Z that fit right in. If it seems like they must be changed out I will go with these injectors.
I think I have two oil leaks, one at the flywheel end and as best I can tell it looks like oil cooler area. Very small and very annoying.
I have bled the brakes twice but still have an issue with losing pedal requiring a couple pumps so I will bleed again. Pedal seems to hold after pumping, really hope I don't need to replace the MC. They stop strong though.
I would like a little tighter steering so I will pull that in a bit.
Steering wheel feels great, seats are very comfortable and lots of glass to have clear vision in these Notchbacks.
Couple other little bugs to work out but that is to be expected.
Speedometer works fine up to 45mph but by 55 it is way off. I will probably add little marks to the speedo glass to know where I really am at.
I always thought that working all the bugs out would be the hardest most tedious part, just did not know I would be this worn out when I got there Confused
I do like driving it though.... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

djway3474 wrote:
Well, I got in some drive time. Tried to get on the Freeway mid day but traffic was so bad I couldn't get out of third. Cali is crazy.....
I think I have two oil leaks, one at the flywheel end and as best I can tell it looks like oil cooler area. Very small and very annoying.
I have bled the brakes twice but still have an issue with losing pedal requiring a couple pumps so I will bleed again. Pedal seems to hold after pumping, really hope I don't need to replace the MC. They stop strong though.
I would like a little tighter steering so I will pull that in a bit.
Steering wheel feels great, seats are very comfortable and lots of glass to have clear vision in these Notchbacks.
Couple other little bugs to work out but that is to be expected.
Speedometer works fine up to 45mph but by 55 it is way off. I will probably add little marks to the speedo glass to know where I really am at.
I always thought that working all the bugs out would be the hardest most tedious part, just did not know I would be this worn out when I got there Confused
I do like driving it though.... Cool

All of this Steve has to look forward to. Should be interesting to hear how much he has to chase. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Got the cooler in position using rubber isolator mounts around which I added a safety cage in case one should fail.
Oil lines don’t look difficult to route.
I’m now rerouting fuel lines, filters and pump to stay away from heated air.
Also looking at adding a small air scoop on the torsion tube and duct some air to cooler.
Cooler is rated at over 60,000btu per hour. Fan comes on at 180 degrees.
Hopefully temps will be good now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Lot's of hiccups but finally got the oil cooler completed. The thermostat coupling that came with the kit was not great so got a better swivel unit. Had to use loctite to get the thermostat holder to seal. Fan Kicks on and off so good there.
Still tweaking the Fuel Injection. The AF guage 02 sensor went bad so finally got that fixed. In addition to the Cog/spring, wiper and bypass I have also started playing with the throttle stop on the throttle body which brought the idle screw back into play. I had been all the way out. I am starting to fire up easier and get to idle at the correct Stoic and also at 2000rpm. Need to get it on the highway.
One of the tie rods I must have forgotten to lube inside and was difficult to adjust. Pulled that out, lubed and back in. Now that the steering box is completed, tie rods can be adjusted I decided to check out all the bits, adjust bearings and tighten it all down.... Crying or Very sad
As I buttoned it all up I discovered a wobble in the system. Tracked it down and it appears that the top right trailing arm has play inside the beam. I am guessing a shot inner bushing.

Can someone point me to the best thread on the front beam???

During down time waiting for parts I also got a much bigger motor in the Ghia and rear disc brakes installed. Need to start dialing in the carbs.

I'm tired.....
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Not the best update.
Wednesday I took the notch out for some Freeway runs to check air/fuel ratios and watch head temps. Couple stops for some tweeks to the system, made good progress.
Two blocks from home, sitting at a stop sign, a numb making a left across my nose dropped their phone and turned straight at me. STRAIGHT AT ME. I laid on the horn and they tried to avoid but clipped my driver side headlight and bumper. Evil or Very Mad
Bumper and headlight ring need to be straightened and re-chromed. Inner body panel has a bow inside but the hood gap and door gap don't look bad and I seriously wonder about having the car down long enough to fix that. The bumper tip chipped paint down to the epoxy and fender is a bit scuffed. Chrome shattered where bumper bent. I really have not had the ability to look at it that close. I hope the estimator saw everything.
The Empi disc brakes have started howling so I need to figure that out. Anyone know what pads they used? I think I heard 83 Rabbit, I'm guessing it is crap pads.
So, I will probably have another month, or several, waiting for all that damage to be repaired.......... Twisted Evil
At least I got my second shot today.
On the up side the Dakota Digital head temp gauge and AutoMeter Air Fuel gauge are very nice and reliable.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Oh what a shame. I really feel for you. I hope the person get a big fine for using their phone while driving.

But, it is good, that no one got hurt.

Btw. I had a big rock hit my freshly restored van last summer on my first big trip. Luckily it missed the headlight by an inch. It did leave a good size dent and the paint chipped. I fixed it when I got home, luckily I still had some of the pain.

I sure yours will be fine once it is fixed.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
Oh what a shame. I really feel for you. I hope the person get a big fine for using their phone while driving.

Btw. I had a big rock hit my freshly restored van last summer on my first big trip. Luckily it missed the headlight by an inch. It did leave a good size dent and the paint chipped. I fixed it when I got home, luckily I still had some of the pain.

Unfortunately, nothing is going to happen. No big fine, nothing. I hope you had good coverage. Sad turn of events. Hope you get that fixed soon. Glad you didn’t get hurt. Our cars are like tin cans. Let me know if I can help.

Martin
Allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
mdege wrote:

I hope you had good coverage. Sad turn of events. Hope you get that fixed soon. Glad you didn’t get hurt. Our cars are like tin cans. Let me know if I can help.

Martin
Allwagons

Agreed. Shame it happened. Glad to hear you're OK, as the car can be fixed.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

The zombie apocalypse is already here.

Once you start looking,
You'll notice they are everywhere among us.

What’s That Noise?!?
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Some Recent photos
Made a playlist on The YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0w2e5QBwEpEY0zk7a9fGYVFrFgDIC4PD
You can open the playlist from that channel
She is a gentle BEAST
Time for her to move on so she will be in the For Sale section
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Oh, that one is lovely...

Reminds me of mine.
Gentle BEAST! Very Happy

Like you, I'm thinking of selling it.
For me the fun is in the building.

All that's happening with mine is it's sitting in the garage and getting dinged up by falling detritus. Rolling Eyes

Good luck with the sale.
Make sure to post up here because I'm dying to know how it goes.

Maybe BAT?
Barrett Jackson?
Kind of a specialty item to be sold at these places.
Might do best with the Porsche crowd?
'Outlaws' are popular with some,
And they're used to spending money... Think

What’s That Noise?!?
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Oh, that one is lovely...

Reminds me of mine.
Gentle BEAST! Very Happy

Like you, I'm thinking of selling it.
For me the fun is in the building.

All that's happening with mine is it's sitting in the garage and getting dinged up by falling detritus. Rolling Eyes

Good luck with the sale.
Make sure to post up here because I'm dying to know how it goes.

Maybe BAT?
Barrett Jackson?
Kind of a specialty item to be sold at these places.
Might do best with the Porsche crowd?
'Outlaws' are popular with some,
And they're used to spending money... Think

Thanks for the kind words
I wouldn’t sell it if I had room but I have a 61 Westy flip seat that I acquired around the same time that only needed brakes. Needs to be on the road but I don’t have space to work or park. It’s time.
I listed the car here on the Samba. Situation makes auction houses difficult, may contact BAT. Possibly some Cars n Coffee in the OC if I can manage.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

One of the better custom builds out there for sure. I hope it goes to someone who knows how to work on it and appreciate it. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

I made some videos of the car inside and out and a drive.
Please share
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0w2e5QBwEpEY0zk7a9fGYVFrFgDIC4PD&si=v2W4qUnaK3eqdoBO
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

As usual another great restoration job! Sad to see it move on, but selling it will make room for your other projects. I can't thank you enough for your help with my Ghia project and soon I will be installing some of your handy work when it comes back from the paint shop. It's people like you that make this hobby enjoyable and worth while.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Nice looking car. Looks like you sold the Ghia. I would list it on BaT. There’s a few top notch notches that sold for near your asking price.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-volkswagen-notchback-sunroof/
I took the advice here and she is now live on BAT
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: February 1963 with sunroof, actually just boxes of parts LOL Reply with quote

Whoo!

Super low number IMHO.

Guess the market has spoken.

I tried!
Very Happy

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: