Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

banana split wrote:
I'm amazed at the skills some people possess. This rebuild is impressive. Seems like nothing is impossible Applause

Agree .. but in 1935 they had the same skills.. not a few, but a lot of people had them. For making a second body or even more.. I think the price to pay for all that work is huge.. big respect to Team Grundmann to do this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Posted today! Where does this one fit? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9617753#9617753
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Posted today! Where does this one fit? https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9617753#9617753

From what I've been able to find out this is car W30/28 photographed on June 13, 1937 at Nurburgring. This information was posted on my FB page by Brett Cooper.

Quote:
It was the plane of Auto Union driver Bernd Rosemeyer. His wife was Elly Beinhorn the famous aviatrix. Rosemeyer was the golden boy at the time, and had just got his flying license, he was also 1936 world champion. This picture was taken during practice for the '37 German GP at the Nurburgring. He landed his plane on the pit straight then jumped in his car! Pretty cool.
That's him in the coat just behind the wing. The chap in the white coat is Herr Dietrich of Continental tyres. Standing next to the propeller are Auto Union drivers Rudi Hasse (the tall one) and Ernst Von Delius in the light jacket. Sadly, Rosemeyer's great friend Von Delius would be killed at the race a couple of days later.

Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

More updates from today. The nose is getting more love in the form of the front lid and the middle ridge. The car is starting to look more and more complete.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Fantastic!!
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

It's funny now that they didn't see at the time (1937) that a full length alligator hood was the best way to do it! Only at the V303 revision did the final beetle front hood arrive. But all the creases are already there in this precursor. From this complicated design involving a lot of parts that had to be precisely fitted and aligned at both ends of the front lid, came the solution of one stamping extending from windshield to bumper. Tripling the available access for luggage and spare tire, reducing the required fitting to adjacent creases and lines to almost nil. Ingenious.

The design of the front hood of the W30 is obviously lifted directly from the Mercedes-Benz 170H. Not too surprising, as 29 of the prototypes were made by Mercedes-Benz at Sindelfingen. (How did they make one single prototype body in Stuttgart?)

Amazing to watch beetle genesis from the first row!

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fossil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

In 1932 Skoda made the prototype car 932 (rear engined, air-cooled). Google the pictures! You will be astonished!
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

fossil - you may be interested in this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9439596

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
fossil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

finster wrote:
fossil - you may be interested in this thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9439596

Oh yes, I simply forgot about this great thread.
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

allsidius wrote:
It's funny now that they didn't see at the time (1937) that a full length alligator hood was the best way to do it!
The design of the front hood of the W30 is obviously lifted directly from the Mercedes-Benz 170H.

The interesting thing is that the front hood went from medium large to small and back to very large again. The two very first mixed construction bodies in 1935 had hoods that were indeed directly lifted from the MB 130H/170H designs. The slightly later all steel bodies of the V1 (V3/3) and the V2 convertible had the nose closed up except for a small hatch to access the fuel tank and the spare tire. The only reason for this that I can come up is concerns with body rigidity. The W30 was designed soon after starting in mid-1936 and the size of that hatch was carried over almost verbatim. It was only when the body was completely redesigned for the V303 & VW38 series they must have been confident that the size of the front hood had no effect on the body rigidity.

allsidius wrote:
Not too surprising, as 29 of the prototypes were made by Mercedes-Benz at Sindelfingen. (How did they make one single prototype body in Stuttgart?)

The first body of the W30 was also made in Sidelfingen. The only difference was that it was delivered to the Porsche Villa in Stuttgart to be assembled there. Barber explains this in his book.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Undis wrote:
The only reason for this that I can come up is concerns with body rigidity.

I don't have my references at hand, but the torsional rigidity at the front IIRC was solved by bolting the frame head to the body and have the two share part of the loads.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:

I don't have my references at hand, but the torsional rigidity at the front IIRC was solved by bolting the frame head to the body and have the two share part of the loads.

That would have been much later. As far as I know none of the cars with barrel type gas tank had the front body area attached to the frame head, or more precisely, to the top torsion tube of the front suspension beam. For this improvement we are looking at the post-war era.
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

More updates have come in. The nose and the area around windscreen getting more detail work done. The guys re-did the middle ridge as the first version was a little too wide. It's spot on now!

Also check out the flaring of the middle ridge in front of the windscreen. This detail was missed entirely on both previous replicas.

Last edited by Undis on Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

For comparison this is the shape of the middle ridge right in front of the windscreen for both, the VW museum and D'Ieteren replicas.

Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Also the door-frames, the frame around the rear engine lid, rear luggage area and rear quarter windows are getting more finished. The areas that would normally be the heater channels on a regular bug are being built up. We have to bear in mind that back in 1937 there was no heater.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

love that door opening. she is going to be a beaut.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
overrestored
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Really wonderful to watch this build. Thanks so much for sharing it. The 1930’s design is so evident when you look. Many of the photos look like they belong in a book on “streamline moderne” design.
One cool crazy cat
a yard full of fruit trees
26 chairs for some reason
a crapload of old shoes
a lot of books on history of the Mexican Ranchos
200+ kamax bolts... stacked in rows
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

so here i sit wondering what the best color would be for this car.

Black would be my first choice. Love Black.
Some sort of gray, maybe.
What i would love to see would be a single stage metallic. light green maybe? silver? medium blue?

all those ridges and lines, and curves, it would be so interesting.

and, yes, i realize there were no metallic paints applied to these, but metallic paints did exist!

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
fossil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

A work of art! What I would love to know is how they did the ridges back then. Did they had already the possibility to press the parts (e.g. with wooden, metal-plated forms), which would be not unreasonable for a series of 30 cars? Considering it was Mercedes who did the build. Or did they "hand-hammer" those forms? Or use the same method as Rene Große and his men today?

In any way what they do here is admirable. What I would like to see is another exhibition at Prototyp - Museum in Hamburg encompassing 38/06, 39/03, Berlin-Rom and of course W30 / 26. I live not far from this fine museum...
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Reconstruction of the 1937 W30/26 Reply with quote

Simply amazing work.

A couple of things occur to me, firstly how on earth can they achieve a smooth finish when so much welding has been done all over the body (I know they will, but I find it amazing that it's even possible).

Secondly I never realised how flat the edges of the windscreen metal work was, it looks to be in complete contrast to the rest of the smooth and swooping lines. Unless there's a lot more work to be done in this area?

I think we are so fortunate to see the construction stage, details we may never get to see are shown here. Keep up the fantastic work!

56' Oval
71' Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 29

Jump to: