Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle Fuel Line
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

I am in the process of replacing my Fuel Line .The steel one that was originally on the car can be seen in the picture coming out of the original fuel hose. ( I'm Guessing that this is Incorrect as the new one I ordered and as show loosely placed in then picture is very different.I take it that it just goes through the hole in the firewall like I have placed it in the Picture and then bolts up to the Rubber fuel hose?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

Seems like you have the metal line on backwards, or else you have some more bending to do on it.

Tim

Richard O'Brien

Last edited by Tim Donahoe on Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714265&highlight=fuel+line+bracket
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

Does anyone have the correct positioning of this pipe so I can get an Idea of how it bends and fits to the regulator pipe? also I ordered new fuel pipe.The pipe on mine is 7mm but the vw place sent me 5.6 mm and its very hard to try and get it over the fuel regulator fitting
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

5mm is for carburetored.

7mm is for fuel injected.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

That explains that issue.Cheers...I just need the picture of the position of the steel pipe now Laughing
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

Yes, it does look like yours is backwards.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.In my Picture you can see that small section of hard line that is attached to the regulator and that is what was going through my firewall originally so I'm guessing that's incorrect as the new hard line is much bigger.Does this have to be Cut down or bent to fit correctly like yours? Rolling Eyes
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

Remove the new line & turn it around so that the end seen is now going through the grommet in the tin. It looks very much like it should fit in that direction, maybe with a bit of tweaking.

The fuel pressure regulator should be on the outlet side of the fuel pump, between the pump & carb. This will be the lower tube on your pump.

Is there a reason that there is a fuel pressure regulator? Is there an electric pump somewhere? Is your car running something other than a stock carburetor?

FWIW, it looks like #3 spark plug wire is pulled out of the end of the connector.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

That chrome dial regulator isn't worth the time time to install, they are useless at regulating anything and may even cut off the supply sometimes. Did you determine you need it by testing the fuel pressure?, if so there's much better regulators available that actually work. And as mentioned it has to go between the pump and carb.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

These pre-bent metal fuel pipes are not bent properly, not matter if it’s put on backward or forward.

Get an old-fashioned wire coat hanger, and use this to easily bend and shape to fit you need. After the shape of the coat hanger is correct, use it as a template and bend your fuel line to match it.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

The Fuel Regulator was on the car when I bought it so I hadn't thought about changing it.Is there a better alternative? I was bending the Hardline pipe today to fit to the fan housing as in the picture above and the corner has flattened slightly,is still this ok ?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

Callookbeetle wrote:
I was bending the Hardline pipe today to fit to the fan housing as in the picture above and the corner has flattened slightly,is still this ok ?

That will probably cause fuel starvation at higher RPMs....
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

Callookbeetle wrote:
I was bending the Hardline pipe today to fit to the fan housing as in the picture above and the corner has flattened slightly,is still this ok ?

No, it is not OK. You will starve the fuel supply.
As a rule of thumb, any line that moves any liquid or gas should have no kinks in it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

Buy a new hardline. Use a tubing bender or wrap around a cylinder/bottle to bend it better.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Buy a new hardline. Use a tubing bender or wrap around a cylinder/bottle to bend it better.

Or fill it full of sand! Then bend it.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

I guessed it wouldn't be.I can't see how you can bend it to that Angle to clip to the Fan Shroud without Kinking it, It looks as though Heritage Parts do a Better pre Shaped one which I should have probably bought in the first place
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

Then don't clip it to the fan housing. I will post a photo of how I did mine when I get home tonight.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Fuel Line Reply with quote

If you are after originality, you will want that long tube bent to go around the left side of the fan shroud.

If you don't care about being 100% original... you really only need a segment of steel tube to pass thru the firewall tin. Be sure to use a rubber grommet in the hole so there is no metal-to-metal rubbing.

A better than stock option is to add a bulkhead connector at the firewall tin. Something like this:

Once you've addressed how the fuel passes thru the metal firewall tin the rest of the connections can be made with flexible fuel hose of the correct ID. Sounds like your original fuel tubing was 7mm OD (FI fuel system). If so, just go with 7mm ID fuel hose and a 7mm bulkhead fitting.

I would recommend if they offer Ethanol-based fuel in your area and you ever expect it will go into your tank, that you use Ethanol compatible rubber fuel hoses and not the stock German rubber hoses which were not ethanol compatible. Ethanol will eat away at the insides of old type rubber hoses.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: