Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shurflo faucet troubleshooting
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69diamondblueT1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Shurflo faucet troubleshooting Reply with quote

Good morning all! I have a 1987 Westy (Canadian) and just installed the Shurflo faucet upgrade from GoWesty. As soon as I connect the wires to the OG VW harness leads that go to the pump, the pump turns on no matter what the position of the faucet switch. I tried reversing the wire connections, same issue. I hooked a multi-meter up to the faucet and no matter what position I rotate the switch on the faucet, the meter reads 0 ohms resistance; continuity never is broken by the switch. I'm guessing that I may have just received a faulty faucet but want to make sure that I didn't miss anything. My Westy has a below cabinet pump (not submerged). I appreciate any help that you can provide. Thanks!
1955 Beetle "Bridgette" RIP!!
1969 Beetle “Genevieve” resto-mod California
1974 Tin top camper “Molly” stock resto
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet troubleshooting Reply with quote

It does sound defective. As a test, you could disconnect the faucet wires and see if you can operate the pump touching the 2 wires together. I’ve never really paid attention to the valve enough to notice if there was a click at the off point.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet troubleshooting Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I’ve never really paid attention to the valve enough to notice if there was a click at the off point.

The Shurflo clicks on/off, so ensure that the faucet knob is, in fact, being rotated to the fully off position.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet troubleshooting Reply with quote

^^^ True. I clearly hear an audible snap or click when turning the knob to switch the pump (I just double checked). The click is the contact snapping from open to close or vice versus.

Here's a thread on dissecting it but if twisting the knob doesn't do it, it sounds defective.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=704908

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
69diamondblueT1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Shurflo faucet troubleshooting Reply with quote

thanks for the tips all. I tested connecting the two wires from the pump together with a quick jumper and, yes, it engages the pump. I also can hear the audible click in the shur-flo, but there's still continuity no matter which position the dial is in, fully off, fully on, throughout the whole rotation. I tested the Delta-six and it breaks continuity as it is supposed to when its in the off position. Never had a problem with the delta-six other than the tip of the fitting that the water hose attaches to being cracked which is why I am replacing it.
Amazon sells the same faucet and under its 2 star reviews, someone had the same issue; switch clicked, but pump was constantly on. They disassembled the faucet and found that the wires had been soldered together during production. I emailed GoWesty tech support and am hoping that they send me another one. They have awesome customer support and always seem to resolve any questions that I've had with their products.
1955 Beetle "Bridgette" RIP!!
1969 Beetle “Genevieve” resto-mod California
1974 Tin top camper “Molly” stock resto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: