Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Beetle Standard - Thrust ring on steering column
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
InstaGib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: 74 Beetle Standard - Thrust ring on steering column Reply with quote

So I dismantled most of my steering column, replaced the bearing and bushing that was giving me all of the play in the wheel, and have it mostly back together. The horn is being a bit temperamental, but I'll deal with that later.

My real problem is now I can't figure out how in the world to get the thrust ring back onto the shaft. It sits between the crush section of the column and the solid part, and goes on the top section closest to the passenger compartment.

It's one of these here
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Item 48 in this exploded view

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is there a good way to do this without pulling the whole fuel tank (which I really don't want to do at the moment)? I can get it into place, I'm just not sure how I can bend the retaining clips back into position.

Assuming I have to pull the tank, it's not the end of the world (I need to replace fuel lines and the nipple at the bottom of the tank anyhow). How safe is it to drive without this piece? It doesn't seem to actually hold the shaft together, at least not that I can tell. I've just done quite a bit of work on the car and I'd like to take it out for a test drive or two before I start tearing in to anything else.

Short version: How can I reinstall this thrust ring without pulling the tank? Specifically bending the retaining clips into place.
Is it safe to drive once or twice without this?

Thanks in advance.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Beetle Standard - Thrust ring on steering column Reply with quote

InstaGib wrote:
How safe is it to drive without this piece? It doesn't seem to actually hold the shaft together, at least not that I can tell. I've just done quite a bit of work on the car and I'd like to take it out for a test drive or two before I start tearing in to anything else.

Short version: How can I reinstall this thrust ring without pulling the tank? Specifically bending the retaining clips into place.
Is it safe to drive once or twice without this?

Safety-wise, that thrust ring is there to block the steering column from coming up through the body tube and impaling the driver during a front-end collision -- e.g. if the car front got crushed enough to force the upper suspension beam tube backward a significant distance (along with the connected steering box and steering column). If you're not anticipating any major collisions in the near future, then probably ok to drive without it for a while...

As far as installation, I restored my steering column "guts" a few years back, and seem to remember using channel locks (or similar - ?) to force those tabs in on the thrust ring. That was with the gas tank removed, though -- not sure if there would be enough clearance underneath to get tool like that in there with gas tank still in place. You'll just have to give it a try and see if and what fits up there. Otherwise, pull the tank and then should have easy access at that point. Good luck! Smile

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: