Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Proper Distributor lubrication
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

Frederik wrote:
Not nos but probably very few hours on it.

Definitely very close to NOS. You can tell by the color of the plastic. The plastic pieces are probably quite supple.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

Not used in baywindows, but this is the lubrication scheme released with information from Bosch in 1961 about the new distributor for vw. Thougt to collect all info in one thread.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Left picture:
I) breaker cam greased thin with Ft1v4
II) groove in bushing filled with Ft1v22
III) distributor shaft oiled with Ol1v13
IV) Bushing and lubrication felt lubed with a mix of Ol24v1 and VS7085 (molykote)*

Right picture:
I) breaker cam, points spring and rubbing block greased with Ft1v4
II)Return spring, bearing pin for points and Return spring greased with Ft1v22.

*) In the text: every 2000mil (20000km/12490miles) should the bearing for the points plate be lubed with a mix of 50% Bosch oil Ol24v1 and 50% VS 7085 (molykote). For the rest is as before Ft1v4 used for the breaker arm breaker cam and Ft1v22 on the rest of bearing points. At a rebuild the distributor shaft should be oiled with Ol1v13. During operation it is lubricated from the crankcase as the predecessor VJU4BR8

Also mentioned is to adjust the advance by turning the excenter bolt for the return spring. This was the tool for it (from a later 1961 publication).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

I've been looking for one of those tools for quite some time. The later short aluminum distributors used one as well. It has a different number on it Bosch EFZV 31.

Frederik wrote:

Also mentioned is to adjust the advance by turning the excenter bolt for the return spring. This was the tool for it (from a later 1961 publication).

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

Same here. What kinds of tools are people using instead?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

I got one of them in a box if VW tools I received from a retired mechanic. It along with the condenser tool for the 205K/L/M/T are nice to have.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

Ah, WTB one of those as well... Razz

I saw a NOS one in a box at Bob’s VW parts in Salt Lake City, circa 2018. Of course I passed it up, my ex bought it, and I’ll probably never see another... Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

I have that tool and probably bought it in 1972-1973 from the Zelenda tool
Company. Or, possibly Charlie Baum. (Baum tool co.)
Yep I am that old 🤫 there was nothing like having a traveling German tool
Salesman making trips from Florida to the west coast twice a year.
Chris
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

When a vw shop closes, tools are the first thing I ask about.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

Went into my old tool boxes and did find the distributor tool this afternoon.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
When a vw shop closes, tools are the first thing I ask about.

Everytime an old VW backfires, a ACVW shop closes.

It’s the season....
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

is that an eccentric tool where the advance spring is on an eccentric, and the tool adjusts the eccentric? I know that the Japanese distributors of the late 60's and early 70's, even some American ones had a dial or screw to change the mechanical advance limit. One set the basic at idle timing and then adjusted the max advance to avoid knock based on the octane fuel available.

Last edited by SGKent on Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
is that an eccentric tool where the advance spring is on an eccentric, and the toll adjusts the eccentric?

Yes, look at 5:00

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

For the distributor rebuilders out there: how often do you find vacuum-only distributors that need those eccentric pins adjusted? Most I pull at swap meets advance to spec after cleaning/lubricating if the can holds vacuum.

Robbie
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

31.7% of the time.

Actually if the original vacuum canister is still good then don't need to be touched. But if you're taking a can from another you might need to adjust it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Proper Distributor lubrication Reply with quote

I just wanted to update this thread with a chronological order of the different Bosch distributor lubrication used. I've posted some different lubrication schemes and it can be confusing with all the different greases used. Bear with me as the text is long.

I've been going through Bosch litterature 1947-1978. During this time there were basicly 7 different grease listed depending on year and with changes in the lubrication scheme. One thing though is common 1947-1977, ft1v4 was ONLY used on the points cam/ rubbing block and it was the only thing recommended there over time.

In 1947 two types of greased was used. Both characterized by Bosch as ball bearing grease.

Ft1v4:
Thick, brown-green, high temperature grease (-10 to +120 deg. C, later to +100 deg. C). Also useable as corrosion protection and sealing in high temperature use. Not to be used on lubrication points in contact with water.

Ft1v8:
Thinn, red, cold temperature grease (-40 to +80 deg. C)..
Ft1v4 was used on points and Ft1v8 on weights, shaft and all other internal parts greased.

In the 50's a 3rd grease was added, also characterized as a ball bearing grease.

Ft1v22:
I don't have a temperature range for it but it was described as a thick, blue ball bearing grease, used were not a high temperature grease is needed, preferably distributors, ignition magnets and generators.
Lubrication scheme still used Ft1v4 on points, Ft1v8 still on the weights and advance mechanism but Ft1v22 on shaft and other lubricated parts of distributor.

The Early 60's vacuum only distributors also used VS7085 "molykote", as the lubrication schart previosly posted.

From the mid-late 60's Ft1v22 was replaced by (and for use in distributors it also replaced Ft1v8).

Ft1v26:
A blue, water repellent ball bearing grease, high rpm applications, used on parts exposed to large temperature fluctuations. (-30 to +100 deg. C). Also described as a high/low temperature universal grease.
Points still was greased with Ft1v4 but by now Ft1v26 was used on everything else, incl weights. (Bosch listed ft1v4 and Ft1v26 as "distributor grease").

All above are mineral oil based greases. In the early 70's a syntetic silicon grease was also listed:

Ft2v3:
Listed besides ft1v26 for use on the weights. My guess is that this was for the new distributor design without the weights riding on a phenolic damping plate and more plastic parts.

In my 1977 papers a new grease was listed under distributor grease. Beside ft1v4, still for points, no other grease was listed under distributor grease at this time.

VS14060Ft:
Described as " Natural colored, mineral based, cold- and heat resistanst bearing grease with good rust- and corrosion protection properties. (-40 to +130 deg. C)". It's primerely use was listed as for distributors.
I don't have an lubrication scheme from this time but I would belive this was used instead of ft1v26 and maybe the silicone grease, not anymore listed for distributors (Ft2v4 silicon paste/dielectric paste was listed, but for plug wire connectors). VS14060Ft is probably the light colored grease you find when opening a later NOS distributor. I havn't found anything more on this grease doing internet searches and my bosch papers ends in 1978, my guess is that it's just a later universal grease.

Besides grease oil was used to lubricate the distributor. In the rather complex 50's-early 60's lubrication scheme there was more than one oil used. But later only used.

Ol1v13:
Described as a thinn flowing universal oil, used for self lubrication bushings and demanding lubrication locations, sutch as electric power tools. I've havn't been able to find any modern reference for this oil. Most of us use engine oil, but a power tool, bushings or even a thinn "machine" oil would probably be as good/ more like the Bosch oil.

All greases listed was used in places other than distributors as well, incl the ft1v4, such as in generators. The main difference in lubrication over time I think have to do with the development of additatives and multi temperature greases. In the beginning they used a "thinn" cold temperature grease (ft1v8) inside the distributor and a "thick" high temperature grease (ft1v4) on the points. Then a thick "universal" grease on basicly everything inside the distributor but the weights and points, the weights still greased with the thinn low temperature grease (ft1v8) and points high temperature grease (ft1v4). As the universal type of grease evolved they started to use it (ft1v26) also on the weights, as it probably by then wasn't to thick to perform good in both low (and high) temperature. For points ft1v4 always was used (compare this to a straight 50 oil, thick cold and hot, thats all it needs to be) .

But ft1v4 was never used anywhere else in the distributor. If Bosch had thought this was a good all around distributor grease they would have used it. Compared to 50 years old grease, oil and dirt anything would work better and most of us would never notice a difference (remember the in-service lubrication is just engine oil). But it would be more correct using some universal grease rather than ft1v4 on the weights and internal parts other than the points rubbing block and cam. I think it is calling the ft1v4 "distributor grease" that has made everyone think it's the best everywhere in the distributor. The ft1v26 was also called distributor grease, but it is in the same way, not for or great on the points.

This is a service bulletin from Bosch on lubrication of distributors in the Bosch service folder for electrical parts in vehicles dated 1968 (replacing earlier from 1962).

And from Bosch spare parts book around the same time under "Distributor grease"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: