Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NormGarr87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

I looked but have not found! Does anyone have good or bad feedback on the 15X5.5 wheels currently offered by the bug parts houses? I want to go 15" Wide 5 and use front disc and rear drum. The CSP front for the 14' looks great but man they are expensive and my wheels have seen better days. Rolling Eyes
73 Thing
81 Caddy w/2.0 liter ABA
Every VW has some Porsche DNA and every Porsche has some VW DNA. Sorry boys, they started as hopped up V-Dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

Thing parts has some 15"x5.5 stock style rims, waiting for some info on the back spacing, want to run 15" also.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NormGarr87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

The Thing Shop should be a bolt on. Are they German or ?
73 Thing
81 Caddy w/2.0 liter ABA
Every VW has some Porsche DNA and every Porsche has some VW DNA. Sorry boys, they started as hopped up V-Dubs.
disneyherbie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

I’m a sucker for the stock thin whitewall look. It’s become increasingly hard to find decent tires in the 185-195 14 range. I finally settled on the Milestar MS775s in a 185/75r14 which can be found on eBay for around 50 bucks a piece with free shipping depending on the seller (I bought mine from simpletire) My car will primarily be used for fair weather pleasure driving, so I was more concerned with stock looks than anything else. Spare fits perfectly under the hood as expected...

My car is still on jackstands in the photos below so there’s obviously less of a fender gap when it’s back on all fours, but these pics will give you a better idea of the general aesthetics of this particular brand...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

NormGarr87 wrote:
The Thing Shop should be a bolt on. Are they German or ?

I just got off the phone with The Thing Shop, apparently their 15" wheel has the same offset as stock 14s.
Due to the 1/2 inch wider width, there will be about a 1 inch increase in track width.

I ordered 5. Cool

Edit: I just measured and mounted one of the TTS 15 inch wheels, the backspace is 3-7/8" and easily clears all steering components.

They're made in China.
72 Baja
veg-head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

Hello all, I have these four lug 15 inch rims (beetle), on the car that was previously lowered. But now I'm going back to a standard stock Beam, (just installed 👍🏻), and I want to put a new 15-inch tire on this rim.
I think the 215 65 15 we'll fit, I think along the way in this thread somewhere I read that the geolanders look pretty good. Can anyone tell me the width on this rim. And maybe suggest the biggest meatiest tire that'll fit without rubbing on stock ride height. Thanks all happy thinging.

Metro Detroit, Michigan
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

veg-head wrote:

I think the 215 65 15 we'll fit, I think along the way in this thread somewhere I read that the geolanders look pretty good. Can anyone tell me the width on this rim. And maybe suggest the biggest meatiest tire that'll fit without rubbing on stock ride height. Thanks all happy thinging.

I can't tell you the width but here is the 15" Yokohoma Geolandar AT G015 205/70/15. I didn't try to go bigger in the front, but definitely could have in the back. Let me know if you need additional pix.
veg-head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

Those geolanders look nice. I think they will fit. Anyone know where l can find the rim size on that beetle rim. 👍🏻

Metro Detroit, Michigan
74GreenThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

I’m still assessing what I have gotten into with this Thing/project but I looked at the tires yesterday and realized they are not only at least 15-20years old but different sizes. It has 215/70R15’s on the back and 165/80R15 on the front.... I read that it will cause understeer but on a car that takes half an hour to go 0-60 do I care? It’s not like I am headed to the Dragon next weekend. They are definitely getting replaced but wondered why someone did it. Any ideas?

https://tailofthedragon.com/ - In case you are wondering what is the Dragon.

Thanks![/url]
Tully83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

I'm doing a disc brake swap on my 74 thing and the more I read about rims the more I get confused. I'm planning on 15" rims but the off set is confusing !
planning on chevy 4.75 bolt pattern, do anyone know what will fit? or what chevy car rims will swap with out problems?
Jetrngr430
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

Hello all! Newbie Thing owner here. 74. Question: I noticed my 74 Thing has 4 lug wheels. Didn’t they all come stock with 5 lug? Not that it’s a huge issue but why would someone change to 4 lug from 5? Is there an advantage?
Thanks in advance.
Mitch
Port Saint Lucie, Fl

Last edited by Jetrngr430 on Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Tully83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

post a picture of your rims
ZRATTHING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

This is about Tire size...
I own a 74 thing and I have 15 inch tires on her...
I am wanting larger tires...
What is the largest and widest tire I can put on my 74 thing...
Thank you ALL...
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

i believe it is 215/75/15
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

Has anyone tried these Waterfall tires 185R14?

https://www.tires-easy.com/185-14/waterfall-tires/...6EQAvD_BwE
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

I haven't, but last time I was driving my Thing I was thinking about how I was a bit annoyed at the General Grabbers that were on it. Maybe if I can ever wear them out I'll take a look at those!

If you decide to give them a try, please respond with your impressions.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I haven't, but last time I was driving my Thing I was thinking about how I was a bit annoyed at the General Grabbers that were on it. Maybe if I can ever wear them out I'll take a look at those!

If you decide to give them a try, please respond with your impressions.

I haven't made a choice yet. I'm not really happy with the General Grabber look, its almost too agressive. The Kuhmo 205/75R14 looks too much like a street tire. Arghhhh... I don't want to have to go to 15" but I might have to. If I choose these, I will update with my thoughts.

...Bill
ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

I found that Goodyear Wrangler AT LT195/75R14 tires are still available. Specs say its 25.5" in Diameter. There are also Yokohama LT195/75R14 Commercial Van/Light Truck tires available. Specs say it is 25.8" in Diameter. Does anyone have these and will they fit in the Frunk?

I know in the first pages it is said that 195/75R14s will fit. Real world experience would be nice.

TIA, Bill
ncpi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

ncpi wrote:
I found that Goodyear Wrangler AT LT195/75R14 tires are still available. Specs say its 25.5" in Diameter. There are also Yokohama LT195/75R14 Commercial Van/Light Truck tires available. Specs say it is 25.8" in Diameter. Does anyone have these and will they fit in the Frunk?

I know in the first pages it is said that 195/75R14s will fit. Real world experience would be nice.

TIA, Bill

UPDATE:
I bought the Goodyear Wrangler AT LT195/75R14 tires. Unfortunately, they don't fit in the Frunk. The diameter fits but the width is 7 3/8" at the widest point (mid-sidewall) and it's just a little too high for the Frunk to close. My old tires were Sumic 195/70R14 and they fit barely. They measure 7 1/16" at the widest point. I'm going to pick up a new, non-matching Sad , 185/75R14 tire for the spare. I'll post pics when all tires are back on the Thing.

I'll have the set of 4 Sumic tires/stock wheels up for grabs as soon as the new set is ready to put on the Thing. Feel free to reach out if anyone is interested but I will post in classifieds when they are available.

...Bill
Jetrngr430
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel/Tire FAQs-Wheel/Tire questions/answers? Start here! Reply with quote

I have a 74 181 that a PO changed all for wheels to a 4 lug. Can anyone tell me what their reasoning may have been? I don’t know enough about the 181 yet to see how that would be any kind of advantage. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: