Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Paint for steering box?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Paint for steering box? Reply with quote

What works good? I like the natural metal look.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for steering box? Reply with quote

Well....if you like the natural metal look.....call that "silver" for now.... Wink ......and you want to prevent corrosion......order a quart of Master Series silver rust sealer.

Looks great, rough as nails and will likely never rust in your lifetime.

Yeah....its moderately expensive but you WILL end up using it all somewhere and it will be worth the money. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for steering box? Reply with quote

I was thinking of clear but it needs to go directly on the cleaned metal. I think the box is cast iron.

Max
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for steering box? Reply with quote

Dupli-color makes a high temp paint in cast iron. I use it a lot. the only downside is it needs to be baked. I spray on my coats, let dry for a week or too, then set in the toaster over for an hour at 300. I'm sure you can get away with the no bake, but I find it really hardens it.

You can see it on my distributor in this pic. a little bronze tone to it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for steering box? Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
I was thinking of clear but it needs to go directly on the cleaned metal. I think the box is cast iron.

Max

Master series goes directly on metal. No primer required. Very self leveling. Absolutely bulletproof and bad-ass silver paint. Great chemistry. It will be waterproof and not rust in your lifetime.

Search on it in the forums. Many people use it.

Ray
carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for steering box? Reply with quote

Eastwood has some really good paints also.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for steering box? Reply with quote

I painted two type 4 steering boxes with VHT and a short bake time.

They did very well. They also have a silver caliper paint that works very well.....but its not natural metal silver. Ray
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Paint for steering box? Reply with quote

I've used Duplicolor caliper paint on heat exchangers and brake drum and rotors. Seems to hold up pretty well. I even use it on engine tin with good results. I don't think it comes in clear.

Max
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint for steering box? Reply with quote

After looking through my collection of paint I found some left over clear engine enamel.

Of course!

I used this on my steel type-3 FI intakes after media blasting. It looked great through several years of all-weather daily-driving. It lasted until I blasted it off and reshot in black caliper paint.

Max
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: