Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bus hunting history...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 952, 953, 954 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

58euro wrote:
I was offered what was left of that single cab before he sent it to the scrappers. I passed on it as he took essentially everything from it for the other single cab. So he did offer it to some people before it was sent there, not sure why he didn’t offer it to you.

Really? There is one side gate and both treasure chest doors just sitting on it, and you didn't want any of it?

As far as I can tell, you are the only one he contacted about it. There are a handful of others around that would have taken it, too. Paul is a really good guy, I will have to ask him about it when I see him next.
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
58euro wrote:
I was offered what was left of that single cab before he sent it to the scrappers. I passed on it as he took essentially everything from it for the other single cab. So he did offer it to some people before it was sent there, not sure why he didn’t offer it to you.

Really? There is one side gate and both treasure chest doors just sitting on it, and you didn't want any of it?

As far as I can tell, you are the only one he contacted about it. There are a handful of others around that would have taken it, too. Paul is a really good guy, I will have to ask him about it when I see him next.

When I talked to him about it he said he would be removing the gates and the treasure chest doors, if they are there still I’m assuming they must be pretty rough?

Crazy he didn’t offer it to anyone else. I tried buying the single cab before he got it as it was still savable at that point I think but alas another one bites the dust.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

with all the metal available why would someone cut one up for metal anyways, seems really stupid
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
with all the metal available why would someone cut one up for metal anyways, seems really stupid

When that truck was originally sacrificed to the sawzall, there was virtually no good new metal available.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
ryans65 wrote:

When that truck was originally sacrificed to the sawzall, there was virtually no good new metal available.

Newcomers don't have historical perspective. We cut up a pretty nice rust free 1963 13 window to patch a 1958 23 window. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Less so now.
That was 1983.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Ahh ok, didn't know it was cut up for a resto years ago.

cdennisg wrote:
ryans65 wrote:

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

ryans65 wrote:
Ahh ok, didn't know it was cut up for a resto years ago.

cdennisg wrote:
ryans65 wrote:

Just the roof and a few parts were removed at that time. The nose skin and a few other things were more recent. There is still a bunch of stuff there worth getting, even if you can buy it new. Nothing quite like solid, original German steel.
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Just pulled this one out of a “barn”. Looks like the previous owner started doing some work to it. It’s in pretty decent shape overall. No real bad cancer. Some surface rust and a couple small holes. Not real sure which direction I’m gonna go with it just yet. Time to do some research.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

KWZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Sealing Wax Red/Beige Gray '65 Standard Microbus. That's sweet.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

oldskewlsk8ter wrote:
Just pulled this one out of a “barn”. Looks like the previous owner started doing some work to it. It’s in pretty decent shape overall. No real bad cancer. Some surface rust and a couple small holes. Not real sure which direction I’m gonna go with it just yet. Time to do some research.

Congrats, looks like a great bus. If I were you I would start by stripping the primer off the bus and see how much original paint is left and what condition it is in. I love SWR/BG color buses.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Nice find.

The rear bumper inside the Bus looks super clean and maybe in primer?
Is it NOS?

Bumper

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Nice find.

Is it NOS?

Bumper

I noticed that, too, Ev. Kinda jumped out at me that the back side is so perfect.
Vanagons:
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

I thought it looked bare metal. It looked like you could see weld heat marks on the bracket mounts.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Nice find.

Is it NOS?

Bumper

There is a new front and rear bumper, neither of which have ever been mounted. One was in primer, one was bare metal. There was also a box full of rubber for all the windows and doors, TMI seat covers and headliner, and some other miscellaneous new and OG parts. Once I get everything sorted out and into dry storage I’m gonna start a thread. While this isn’t my first split bus, it’ll be the first time I didn’t just buy one and drive it until I got bored with it. As I’m sure everyone here knows, it’ll be a process.
Volks138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Finally pulled this out of AZ last summer after bugging the guy for 9 years. Thought I’d finally share.
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Volks138 wrote:

Finally pulled this out of AZ last summer after bugging the guy for 9 years. Thought I’d finally share.

Don't be a tease, at least tell us what year it is.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

To this casual observer, I'd say 1955, 56 or 57.
Wow. Paint and glass?
And beautiful straight body?
Vanagons:
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Cool, I'm surprised it still had the OG taillights and reflectors
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Gallery entry says 56
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Today in Bus hunting history... Reply with quote

Best 2nd post ever!
That is a fine looking early single cab!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 952, 953, 954 ... 988, 989, 990  Next
Jump to:
Page 953 of 990

Jump to: