Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cr limits on pump gas?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

whats yalls THOUGHTS on highest compression ratio YOU can run on pump gas?
i know theres a bunch of other factors, and this isnt a specific build question, just wondering what opinions are.
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1

Last edited by BFB on Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

varies wildly with cam choice, volumetric efficiency, burn quality, ignition control, etc.

some guys have run REALLY high compression with super squish pistons and premium pump gas, like 12:1 and above.

JPM in Sweden has built some engines with super high compression as well, but usually doesn't mention what fuel he is using.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

way tomany variables. Ive run 13.8 cr on pump gas for many years with my 340 mopar. my 2028 ve was 10.4 and was well over 80,000 miles when I sold it running great and probably good for another 80,000 if the new owner dosent let any body eff with it execpt for syn oil changes every 2 years. I ran my 1874 around 11.3 for about a year with no issues other than the bugspary carb wasent big enough.I lowered the cr to 10.5 for another 3 years.no issues other than sonnic noises in the intake witch went away when I put the duel 44'hpmx's on, cam shaft,jetting,timing,head&chamber shape and cooling along with piston to head clearance all come into play as well as exhaust. it's kinda funny how bingo down the road cant make 8:1 cr work but others can make 10.5 work just fine...and how are the oe engines now work ok at 11:1&higher with no issues..... Shocked doing it right is what it takes, reguardless of engine type,shape,color,size or make.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

The more rpm the setup is built for, the more cr it can handle. The limits are probably around 190 psi.

Last edited by bugguy1967 on Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

I have run 9 to 9.4 on 87 octane in the past, no issues. I am running 8.4 on 87 fuel presently with no pinging even at an accidental 16* initial timing. Some guys here claim low 7's is the limit on 87. Not sure where that comes from...

I think bugguy1967 is on to something there. It may be more directly related to your cylinder cranking pressure than anything else.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

10.2:1 on an 86b with 97 uk fuel running fine here. Will be 11:1 with an fk10 very shortly.

Not like that info is much use to you though anyway.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

Don't let anybody fool you. 9.5:1 is the limit for 91 Octane pump gas here in the USA.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

I have been doing fine 10.4 with crappy ca 91 pump gas on the street and track with Adv. Duration 321° /Dur. @ .050" 270° and 180 cranking psi. This might not work with other cams though
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

this is great, it essentially the same as seeing what boost ppl run. there's soooo many variables and possibilities!
ok, so u guys that run 11:1 ish or above , what kinda afr and timing do you run? probably not as retarded as boosted i assume
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
whats yalls thoughts on highest compression ratio you can run on pump gas?
i know theres a bunch of other factors, and this isnt a specific build question, just wondering what opinions are.

I don't mean to sound snarky, but this is like asking, "how many different shades of green are there?" There is almost an infinite number of answers to this question. I'll give you two opinions, however. If it's a bone stock motor that you want to run 100,000 miles, and use the cheapest 87 octane fuel, I'd run 7:1 CR. If it's a 2332cc with 48 IDA's, 1 3/4" exhaust, big cam like an FK-87, run 92 octane pump gas, pushing 200 HP and you plan for it to make it to 30,000 miles before an upper end rebuild, I'd go for about 10.5:1.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

And we have a 7.1/1 guy!!! I knew they would come crawling out of the woodwork! Even VW didn't go that conservative on the BUS!

It ended up being the hottest running shortest valve life engine ever too... any guesses why?
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

Under 10 to 1 with 91 in Cali would be safe if tuned right.

We are getting more and more E85 stations around here, that's 106 octane, So 10 to 1 would be safe if you dare to run it.

I will be switching over to it in the next 2 weeks. Mainly for cooling issues and the station next to me just started selling it. I am going to a 14.5 gallon tank to I can still get 100 miles per tank.

I will keep the jet stack for gas in my glovebox in case I need fuel and can't find E85 where i'm at.

I have Tuned 2 cars now and They both like the E85, Just changing the main fuel jet and the Idle jet. not the pump jet or Fuel pressure. So going back to gas would take 5 min.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Don't let anybody fool you. 9.5:1 is the limit for 91 Octane pump gas here in the USA.
thats the most stupid thing Ive ever read hear. Shocked well in the top 10 any way. just because you cant make it work or are possiably blaming that on other issues does not make it true.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

This was discussed in another thread not long ago. The same people came forward and bashed the "high compression" for being wrong, myself included. But, once again, you cannot determine max compression ratio from a default of say 9,5. The max static compression is solely determined by octane, ambient temp and cam bleed off (duration) We are talking purely sea level here.

With E 85 you can run rather high static compression without getting into trouble, since it cools significantly more, and has more octane. In general you can add 1 to the CR if you run E85 over 91 us pump gas.
Over here there are racers that run 13,5-1 static with regular FK89 cams and E85. I know, thats racing, but it gives you a good hint.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

Some people in hot southern California will run 10.5 - 11 CR with very radical cams. They can fill it up at the gas station w/ 91 if they wanted. These are very serious and often high maintence engines tho.

It depends on enough factors that it's pretty much impossible to answer the question. What's the most compression that is possible to run on a type 1 vw engine if you had unlimited money and could aquire any of the parts or do any mods you wanted? Maybe 14-15+ static, who knows... I'm sure there are examples out there of some insane aircooled engineering feats such as this. Maybe in the Alps, lol!

Generally the average hot street engine you run into will be running 8.5 - 10 CR. That is very common to see. But probably mainly because the W110, W120, FK8/86B type cams are very popular and work well in that range respectively.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:

Generally the average hot street engine you run into will be running 8.5 - 10 CR. That is very common to see. But probably mainly because the W110, W120, FK8/86B type cams are very popular and work well in that range respectively.

Already here you are adding to the calculation by setting boundraries for camshaft duration, which is basicly where I was going with my previus post.
X type of engine, for Y type of vehichle with Z cam/duration, on a given octane, and you have come a long way.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

For anyone who cares to learn: very long read, but worth it. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0606em-understanding-compression-ratio/
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
this is great, it essentially the same as seeing what boost ppl run. there's soooo many variables and possibilities!
ok, so u guys that run 11:1 ish or above , what kinda afr and timing do you run? probably not as retarded as boosted i assume

I'm running 10.3:1, and currently at 30° full advance. I'm doing a 100x71 engine now at around 12.2:1 on pump. I'll start at 28° probably, then see what it likes. The smaller the combustion space, the less advance typically needed.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

Shocked

So you are ASSuming EVERYONE is running the exact same engine size, cam, cam timing, elevation, humidity level, jetting, deck height, chamber design, brand of fuel, engine load, and temperature?

Please explain how you decided 9.5:1 is the limit for everyone in the USA.

Brian
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: cr limits on pump gas? Reply with quote

It won't do any good to explain my opinion. People are gonna disagree no matter what. We might as well argue about which oil to use.

Build whatever you want. Listen to whomever you want. I guarantee you get to keep all the broken pieces.

You can't read a Chevy book and build a VW engine.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: