Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The SO14 pick-up and trailer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

actually, it’s still called a Bus.....
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

volkswouter wrote:

I think European rules back in the day where much softer than the American rules.

Back in the day there were (and still are) plenty of USA made vehicles with rear window that would open to keep the interior cooler without AC. EG station wagons back then, SUVs today. Trick was to have at least the front door windows open to keep exhaust from getting sucked in the rear.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
volkswouter wrote:

I think European rules back in the day where much softer than the American rules.

Back in the day there were (and still are) plenty of USA made vehicles with rear window that would open to keep the interior cooler without AC. EG station wagons back then, SUVs today. Trick was to have at least the front door windows open to keep exhaust from getting sucked in the rear.

I was curious if the text of that bulletin mentioned anything about that exact action.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

I was curious if the text of that bulletin mentioned anything about that exact action.

no, nothing about the exhaust.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

vwassing wrote:

Cool, do you know what year it's from? Do you happen to have a picture of the bracket on the back of the tube?

Hi
I will look the next time I visit Michael Cool
vwassing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
hahaha...having a lot of friends in Bavaria I was laughing out loud as well. Wolperding is not a cool name to carry there.... Laughing

This thing, even if useful and cool, sure looks like a full grown Wolpertinger. It makes a VW truck handle impossible things... Very Happy

It is so cool that vwassing actually restored this. I was watching in awe the old videos from Barndoor era, using that kind of trailers.

check at 1.40 !

Link

I totally forgot about that video! Amazing to see.

volkswouter wrote:
Jeroen, i've got some original sheets about the Special Order models including the SO-14 and SO-24.

Thank you for sending me copies. They are a nice addition to have next to the trailer!
vwassing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

A friend sat in the bed of the bus taking a video of the bus and trailer driving!

Link

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

vwassing wrote:
A friend sat in the bed of the bus taking a video of the bus and trailer driving!

good thing you did not turn the other way...

very vool view of the sliding action though.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

vwassing wrote:

Thanks for that video, and thanks for your friend to do that!

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

Very cool! Yes, thanks for taking the time. Really interesting to see it work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

Brochure from the classifieds
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2179668
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, here's the pics saved into the Gallery for the future

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

This is very cool.

Can you explain the pivot mechanism on the truck side? In the video i see how it goes forward/reverse and can make sense of that but where is the pivot axis? Is it just a king pin in the middle of the load bridge on the bed?

Thanks for the cool story.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, here's the pics saved into the Gallery for the future

Man, that DC with the SO14 just looks badass...I wish I needed it...and could afford/store it for use with mine. Did I miss it somewhere, or does anyone know how many of these were even made?

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
vwassing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

Very cool to see an original brochure!

The SO-14 type was made by Wolperding and the SO-24 was made by the company Fickers. As far as I know these two were officialy distributed by VW.
I think a SO-24 is much more rare than the SO-14.

But every vehicle body builder could make one for all kinds of trucks. On the German ebay are often all kinds of creations and versions for sale.

62DoKaGuy wrote:
Did I miss it somewhere, or does anyone know how many of these were even made?

I don't know how many were made by Fickers. My SO-14 is from 1964 and has number 2859. The one in the Bullimuseum is from 1969 and has number 3955. They made a lot if these are production numbers...

matthew henricks wrote:
This is very cool.

Can you explain the pivot mechanism on the truck side? In the video i see how it goes forward/reverse and can make sense of that but where is the pivot axis? Is it just a king pin in the middle of the load bridge on the bed?

Thanks for the cool story.

Does this sketch answer your question? It is just a metal rod on which it turns.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

Thank you and yes that does answer my questions on the pivot system.

Matthew
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

I did some research and I couldn't find much. The original was made by Gebr. Wolperding in Winsen. Mine is produced in 1964 and has the serialnr. 2859.
I completely restored the trailer. And with the help of some friends got it ready the night before the Ben Pon Treffen in Amersfoort. It's great to drive with the trailer and a load and watch the whole system work as it should!

Might you have any detailed photos of the axel and how it attaches to the VW hubs? Is that a torsion spring/tube set up or just a solid mount. I assume there are no brakes on the trailer. I'm also interested in what the hitch looks like so any close-up of that would be fantastic. Great resto by the way!
vwassing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

swharris wrote:
Might you have any detailed photos of the axel and how it attaches to the VW hubs? Is that a torsion spring/tube set up or just a solid mount. I assume there are no brakes on the trailer. I'm also interested in what the hitch looks like so any close-up of that would be fantastic. Great resto by the way!

Thank you! The axle is a standard BPW axle from the 60's and it has no brakes. The hub is just a round plate with the holes for a wide 5 wheel.

The hitch is also a standard, the 60's hitch is different from the 70's (orange) hitch.

vwassing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

Had a photoshoot a couple of years back.

Really fun to drive like this.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: The SO14 pick-up and trailer Reply with quote

vwassing wrote:

This looks like a standard torsion bar sprung axle. I think this is just like my Puck axle. Beautiful setup!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: