Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
Wow, nice! Where does one source the hi-stands?

Thanks!

There are modern versions available on Amazon. The older ones are available on eBay, swap meets, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Alan Brase wrote:
I kinda get the Sears link. I worked at the factory that built Craftsman tool boxes. If you have a Craftsman tool box built from September thru December of 1968, there is 25% chance my hands were on it. 50 years ago.

Dad got me one for my 18th in that time frame. Now I’ve got a new bucket list item, to get Alan to sign it.

Good idea! I had a 1953 Boles Aero aluminum travel trailer. I tracked down Don Boles and had him sign the inside of one of the cabinet doors before he passed away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

KQ Ranch camping this weekend. Perfect weather and super nice people. Thanks Sergio for putting it on!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Spring Picnic 2021. A bunch of great people and a fun time.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Bus looks great and love the accessories.

But, I gotta ask. Where do you put all that stuff while driving? Surely it can’t all fit on the roof rack. So us some pics of it all packed up. Maybe You can show us some new packing ideas.
’65 Deluxe Build
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

But, I gotta ask. Where do you put all that stuff while driving? Surely it can’t all fit on the roof rack. So us some pics of it all packed up. Maybe You can show us some new packing ideas.

Well, believe it or not, all the stuff including the Super 73 electric bike fit inside the bus. I only had the yellow picnic table on the roof rack for this trip but never took it down.

The two red chairs, the roll top chili pepper table and the Coleman hi stands fit in the wardrobe closet. My Dopp kit and duffel bag with clothes goes in there too.

The chuck box fits between the jump seat and the back seat. I put the larger green cooler (that I use for dry goods) on top of the chuck box and put the small blue cooler on the jump seat. I wedge the large blue chair between the chuck box and the back seat and it makes a partition so stuff on the back seat cant slide off. On the back seat I put the lantern cases wrapped in a wool blanket.

The Super 73 fits with the front tire in the walk thru area and the rear wheel against the back seat. I strap the front wheel down tying to the seat belt mounts.

The third cooler with ice, the 55 lb anvil and the tool box sit at the opening of the sliding door for easy loading and access.

On the back parcel area I load the two larger tables and the Coleman suitcase table and sleeping bags. Any other miscellaneous stuff goes on top of the tables wedge between the rest of the junk.

With this configuration I only have room for one passenger. I am thinking of getting a small utility trailer to haul the Super 73 and a couple coolers. This would free up a lot of space.

I'll get a photo of the loaded up bus on the next trip.

Thanks,
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Sounds like alot of missiles in an accident.
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
richparker wrote:

Well, believe it or not, all the stuff including the Super 73 electric bike fit inside the bus. I only had the yellow picnic table on the roof rack for this trip but never took it down.

The two red chairs, the roll top chili pepper table and the Coleman hi stands fit in the wardrobe closet. My Dopp kit and duffel bag with clothes goes in there too.

The chuck box fits between the jump seat and the back seat. I put the larger green cooler (that I use for dry goods) on top of the chuck box and put the small blue cooler on the jump seat. I wedge the large blue chair between the chuck box and the back seat and it makes a partition so stuff on the back seat cant slide off. On the back seat I put the lantern cases wrapped in a wool blanket.

The Super 73 fits with the front tire in the walk thru area and the rear wheel against the back seat. I strap the front wheel down tying to the seat belt mounts.

The third cooler with ice, the 55 lb anvil and the tool box sit at the opening of the sliding door for easy loading and access.

On the back parcel area I load the two larger tables and the Coleman suitcase table and sleeping bags. Any other miscellaneous stuff goes on top of the tables wedge between the rest of the junk.

With this configuration I only have room for one passenger. I am thinking of getting a small utility trailer to haul the Super 73 and a couple coolers. This would free up a lot of space.

I'll get a photo of the loaded up bus on the next trip.

Thanks,

This is the picture I want to see... Very Happy
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Mberglo wrote:

This is the picture I want to see... Very Happy

Here is the electric bike between the seats:

Here is the chuck box spot:

Here are the wooden tables in the rear.

You'll have to use your imagination for the rest until I get a fully loaded shot. Wink

Last edited by Anchovy on Wed May 05, 2021 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

I made up this sisal style floor mat for the bus. It's an IKEA rug that I cut to shape and sewed on a cotton binding. I had some left over so I made a large door mat with a nylon binding. The rug is polypropylene but looks like natural fibers.

Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Made up a couple brackets to mount my Bernz-o-matic lanterns to the roof rack and drip rail. I bent an aluminum strap to clip onto the roof rack slat and the birch plywood fits in the drip rail.

These lanterns were NOS and came from the Canadian Civil Defense stockpile. They are bright and easy to use with modern propane tanks. They are called "dual beam" lanterns since they provide light straight forward and down through the screen opening. These are often referred to as "coffee maker" lanterns since they have a similar appearance. I have a few extras that I will be bringing to OCTO on June 5 if anyone is interested.

Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

I picked up the MaxiTrac 8'x8' awning from NAPA. It's a knock-off of the ARB awning and can accept the side walls from ARB. It was $96 shipped to my home.

It's got a nice vinyl travel cover, sturdy aluminum extruded rails, telescopic poles, a rip-stop poly shade and comes with stakes, a nice stake bag, mounting brackets with hardware, tie down ropes, etc.

I decided to remove the front rack and use one of the rack leg assemblies to support the front of the awning. For the rear mount I installed the bracket under the slats of the rear rack. I notched the wood slats so the bracket fits right.

Super happy with the quality and value of this awning. If you decide to order this through NAPA, use your AAA card for a 10% discount. Also, play around with the store zip code as the price is different in different areas. I used zip code 92040 to get the $99 price then used the 10% discount and with tax it was only $96 bucks delivered.

soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

That is nice. I have been looking at this awning, I am glad to see that you like it.

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

soissisc wrote:
That is nice. I have been looking at this awning, I am glad to see that you like it.

Thanks, at about 1/3 the price of the ARB equivalent I may buy a spare. Smile
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

I finally got around to making a new slider door panel from a sheet of 1/8" Birch.

(I had stolen the original wood paneling from the slider door to skin the small cabinet I made to replace the icebox/sink cabinet. The icebox took up too much space and I would have never used it. I knew I wouldn't be able to match the panel color perfectly, and the OG panel had some water damage down low, so I cut it up and used it for the small cabinet. Since you never really see the slider panel unless the door is closed I didn't worry about matching the color perfectly.)

Turned out pretty good and the stain match was close enough.

mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Looks great!

I've had a heck of a time finding some 1/8" birch paneling around my parts. What did you use for fasteners for the panel to the door, is it the push style banana clips?

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Thanks,

I screwed in the panels like original but added counter sunk finishing washers. I used #6 stainless steel flat head phillips screws but wanted oval head which they didn't have in stock.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Questions:

1. Did the vent window frames on 1968’s come painted the body color from VW? I’ve only ever seen black painted or chrome. Mine are painted and it looks like they were painted before assembly.

2. Did 1968 Kombis come with a chrome slider mechanism? I’ve only seen chrome on later deluxes?

Thanks,

Campin68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

This thread is really inspiring! Thanks for sharing - your creativity and craftsmanship is really top notch!
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 UVC "unidentified volkswagen camper" Reply with quote

Campin68 wrote:
This thread is really inspiring! Thanks for sharing - your creativity and craftsmanship is really top notch!

Thanks a lot! This bus has been really fun.

I tested out the new awning in the wild today. Sets up super easy. The tie down cords it came with are a little light and the stakes are short. I’m going to upgrade those.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: