Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring new defrost relay help!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bluevelvet13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Wiring new defrost relay help! Reply with quote

The original defrost relay was so corroded I could not go off that to connect new defrost relay. The three wire's originally connected shown in pic is a thick solid black wire( inline fuse connected) a White wire (black casing) and a thin black wire. Also, being the original relay was bolted to frame do I attach a ground from the 5 prong relay to
Can anyone tell me in which wire's go to what prongs on this relay being it's 5 prong?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring new defrost relay help! Reply with quote

What year is this?
Bluevelvet13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring new defrost relay help! Reply with quote

It is 1969...
jetmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring new defrost relay help! Reply with quote

I do believe that the white wire goes to the defog element in the window. The thin black may come from the defog switch on the dash, and the other black wire is the power to the defog element. To check which wire is what, use a multi meter and check for voltage, if you get 12v approx. on the thick black wire then that is you power to the defog element, if you get 12v in the thin wire when the switch is on then that is your pin 85 wire that will energize your relay.
If you do a continuity check from the white wire to the connection point on the window then that is your defog wire.

So if you have a Standard 5 pin relay then the switch wire goes to pin 85, and pin 86 is grounded to the body, the black wire goes to pin 30 (I would put an inline fuse about 10 amps before connecting it to the relay), and the white wire goes to pin 87a.
Bluevelvet13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring new defrost relay help! Reply with quote

I do not have a multimeter but I'll try hooking it up this way. Also you said pin 86 is grounded to body, do I just connect that pin and ground (screw it) to frame?
Bluevelvet13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring new defrost relay help! Reply with quote

I do not have a multimeter but hooked it according to your instructions and it works! I have a new back window and live in Wisconsin so it still gets cold. Thank you much. Been trying to figure this out for almost 2 days....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: