Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CreativePaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage? Reply with quote

Has anyone here modified the storage beneath the Eurovan CAMPER's folding rear seat?

Story: We're newbie '97 T4 Camper owners and photographers.
Noticed how small the storage tub is under rear bench seat. Seat doesn't tilt back far enough to effectively put in /take out larger items, such as camera bags, needing to be stored safely out of sight.

Hoping to learn how to disassemble the rear seat, remove existing plastic TUB storage (which leaves 4" of unused storage space beneath it!)

As we will never seat people back there, we are considering modifying the storage under existing seat, or replacing the folding seat entirely with a padded DIY folding seat that opens into the bed platform, PLUS when not a bed, folds up more easily to reveal a larger accessible lockable storage bin underneath. YIKES, this is daunting as heII!

@ ANY wisdom, plans, how-tos or assistance is greatly appreciated!
Links to existing seat removal steps or conversions welcome

dazey77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage? Reply with quote

You know how to remove the rear seat right?

You just unbuckle the seat from the floor and slide it forward on its runners until it runs off the runners. You can then just flip it upside down to investigate further. Remove the removable trim piece before attempting this as it will get in the way of the flipping it upside down.

If your not careful you might get runner grease on the floor. You kind of roll the seat forward while supporting the rear, roll it forward on its wheels, flip it upside down without letting the runners hit the deck! I normally rest it against the front seats.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CreativePaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage? Reply with quote

Thank you dazey77!

Actually, we are taking delivery of our camper this weekend. Yep, that newbie.

When we 'borrowed' the van from the garage who is updating it earlier this month, we operated the seat to set up the bed and noted how limiting the access to the compartment was. So, I have not had true access nor time to mess with it yet.

Thankfully, your post will save me potentially pinched fingers, greasy carpet smears and a lot of swearing.
dazey77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage? Reply with quote

No problem. I felt like an idiot first time I worked out how to remove it. Had been trying to unbolt the seat from the floor without realising it just rolls out!

Interesting idea with the storage though, let us know how you get on.

Some folks also make access into the rear battery box easier to use as storage. I regard that as probably equally safe (but leaving valubals in a vehicle is always a gamble)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage? Reply with quote

You kind of just learn how to pack the camper. There are plenty of cubbies that can store things out of sight. The under seat bin is used for bedding for us.
CreativePaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage? Reply with quote

@MrPulldown: Yes I agree!
We actually need lockable storage, not just of of sight. I have made aluminum locking 'camera safes' in past vehicles, so I intend to do this in the T4 once I can access that space, remove the tub and reconfigure the folding seat/bed arrangement. Yes, I will post my mods.
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage? Reply with quote

I have seen someone use a round steel cylinder that's a snug fit right above the steel pull handle of the bench seat storage. The steel cylinder prevents the handle from being pulled forward, thus keeping that compartment locked. Then a padlock is used to keep the cylinder secure to the handle.
TFB777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage? Reply with quote

That stupid rear seat has to be one of the worst examples of Winnebago's poor conversion design. Not only is it difficult to access, it is almost useless for most practical purposes - and for us photographers, it is next to impossible to secure it effectively. I've toyed with some ideas on improving it, but because the cross member in the front precludes any kind of pull-out drawer, it seem pretty hopeless to try and modify it to anything really useful. I am leaning towards a DYI ground-up design using aluminum extrusions at some point but that project is low on my priority list.
CreativePaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage? Reply with quote

@TFB777:

Well my fellow phototog, I could not agree more about Win-a-bagel, so I DIY'd a solution after my original post.

Here is my solution.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=747545&highlight=

I think you could build it. Nothing is bombproof but I just had to try.
I have lined the under seat tub with laminated bubblewrap insulation. Will improve when time allows. My gear fits in nicely.

cheers,

DJ
mcade_2017
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage? Reply with quote

I'm also a newb '97 EVC owner. I thought I must have been doing something wrong. I can see all that sweet sweet storage under the seat but cant figure out how to get anything thicker than a neatly folded quilt into it. I guess that's just the way it is. WHAT A WORLD!!!
CreativePaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage? Reply with quote

I hear ya.

My plan is to remove the plastic tub and make a 1/4" plywood box that truly fills the space. That said, I am frustrated with the access dimensions, meaning I can't fit my camera bag or anything of bulk. At least I made the compartment secure by fashioning a lock for it as posted here on Samba.

My second fix is rather time consuming but may be worth it.:

Remove the folding rolling seat system entirely, seatbelts tool.
Build a simple 1/2" plywood box to fit the space that is on locking casters and has a hinged and padded seat and seat back to replace the stock converting seat back. This would give us a trunk sized storage much like the Westies have.
I plan to split the cabinet door with a hinge so it can be drop-down accessed (like the other cabinet) when the bed is in Open position;

I suppose someone has done it and posted DIY steps but I can do it regardless.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage? Reply with quote

Dr Dremel unfortunately made locking any thing in a car obsolete, so just keep your stuff out of sight and skip all the nicely crafted , easily opened , safe boxes.

I opened a stuck gun case for a neighbor in 45 seconds, shocking him.
Mookacb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage? Reply with quote

I removed the storage tub, cut around it to remove the bottom half of the tub, then used plywood, epoxy and zip ties to increase the depth of the tub.

Now there is about 1/2" below the tub instead of the 3 inches that used to be wasted. This made a huge difference in usability.
CreativePaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage? Reply with quote

@Abscate:

Wow, I had no idea that trailhead thieves carried cordless Dremel tools with cut-off bits!

I guess it pays to think of all possibilities but I have already had one minor theft in the van and the lock worked. I could see how it was twisted upward by the intruder. It was obviously a more casual thief in my neighborhood, but I will keep your wisdom firmly in mind.

If you can break into a Gun Safe, you've got skills!
CreativePaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage? Reply with quote

@Abscate:

Wow, I had no idea that trailhead thieves carried cordless Dremel tools with cut-off bits!

I guess it pays to think of all possibilities but I have already had one minor theft in the van and the lock worked. I could see how it was twisted upward by the intruder. It was obviously a more casual thief in my neighborhood, but I will keep your wisdom firmly in mind.

CreativePaddler
Samba Member

@Abscate:

MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage? Reply with quote

I discovered the space under the seat tub while packing for my last trip. a set of tire chains and a small shovel fit under there perfectly.

I was reaching that space from the rear. As these are emergency items it was no problem. But I discovered that you can remove the front panel and shove all kinds of stuff in that space from the front. Do need to remove some of it before sliding the seat forward.
CreativePaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 CAMPER: How to replace rear seat TUB for MORE storage? Reply with quote

@MrPulldown
I've used the space beneath the tub to slide in skis, poles, awning rafter, lumber and rear hatch strut poles for my outdoor shower setup.

Anything stored under there must clear the tub and avoid the wheel tracks but otherwise its all good.

I still want to install a replacement bench seat someday but may adapt that to have 1/3 of its underside width retain the current clearance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: