Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fender Beading Color
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

When these cars were new were the fender beading colored to match the paint?

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

Yep! Some are occasionally selling NOS parts in the classifieds, not always complete sets. Some buy new black and use a paint mixed with a urethane or other flex-enhancing material. Black is not original but still looks good with many colors, since the window rubber and lamp seals match it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll have a talk with the local automotive paint guy.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Thanks! I'll have a talk with the local automotive paint guy.
Max

From what I understand, painting is tricky, if you want to be able to remove fenders later. I think some have loosely installed it, masking off the metal panels... spray, let fully cure, carefully remove without bending (lots of friends needed?), and then paint the car. Assemble with some release (talc?) so they don't stick to the fender when removed later.

I'm sure others who have actually done this will chime in.

Again, black looks great with light blue, white and bright oranges and yellows even.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

Try to gather NOS stuff. I painted all the ones I found here. Nothing matched. Clean really well soap and water, wipe with wax and grease remover, apply adhesion promoter, paint with plastic paint or regular paint with flex agent. This process will work for NOS or repainting the existing. Let some pictures.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

Don't be misled with "NOS fender beading" being sold by a "DannyZ".

You won't be happy with the way that turns out..

What’s That Noise?!?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

When you come across some in Kansas Beige contact me. Is there a need for it yes wonder whom would produce it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

I'd be willing to bet if the right person asked you could maybe get Wolfsburg West to produce it. At least do it for another company. You can already get a few different colors from them now. Also Bob Koch has it in different colors IIRC.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111821707BGB

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

Type 3 beading has tons of contousr and cut outs. I doubt they will make it. What aboiut ISP?

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Type 3 beading has tons of contousr and cut outs. I doubt they will make it. What aboiut ISP?

It is hard or is it soft? I would think the biggest thing would be length. Seems as though they already sell the colored bug kits and do a kit in black for the notch and one for the square.

My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

lawn ninja wrote:
ALLWAGONS wrote:

It is hard or is it soft? I would think the biggest thing would be length. ISP should jump on board or figure out who manufactures that for them and then just do type 3 lengths and cuts.

Type 3 uses 3 profiles:

- L-Shape (rear fenders)
- T-Shape (aprons/cowl/top of front fenders)
- Round/Bulb Shape (Beetle beading used in the frunk area)

Wolfsburg West is not going to make Type 3 beading. ISP makes the (2) needed Type 3 profiles.

Black goes with everything as noted above. There is not a big enough market for colored Type 3 fender beading, unfortunately. Can't and won't tool up for 3000+ feet of Kansas Beige beading. Not talking

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification.

My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
When you come across some in Kansas Beige contact me. Is there a need for it yes wonder whom would produce it.

I had beige and other light color ( NOS nice and soft ) beading listed for several years at a good price. Now I only have a black beading left. It is a really hard-to-sell item.

I doubt that any company will spend thousands to have any factory-like one piece units made. Most people do not like to spend more than a few bucks on it. Those beading were expensive at the VW dealer back in days already.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

And people wonder why it's so expensive to correctly restore a type 3.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

Or any car I would think.

Max
GearheadJim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

I've hit the stage of my project where it's about time to put the fenders back on so I'm working to source the beading. A VW fender bead suggestion I had seen was to have an upholsterer make the beading with piping and marine grade vinyl which helps with the color availability issue. However, reading through this post I have learned there are multiple profiles on the Type 3 beading so I think the custom made is now out of the running. Painting the beading as discussed in various posts seems like it could easily have hit or miss results so I'm thinking leaving it black might be best. Any chance someone has a picture of a white Type 3 with black fender beading?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

I imagine it would look sharp. Like I posted above, with the black window and lamp seals being black, it sort of blends in, unless you knew they came color-coded new.

Painting can work, but it will bond to the body paint and make later removal a PITA that could snowball into a paint job!

I would recommend black unless you are seeking a proper restoration. And if, down the road, the mythical correct NOS beading comes along, it's a bolt-on upgrade.

I found this on the web. The black shows along the top of the rear fender, and at the bottom corners of the windshield, and along the front and rear body aprons. Pretty non-attention-getting.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by KTPhil on Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:00 am; edited 2 times in total
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I imagine it would look sharp. Like I posted above, with the black window and lamp seals being black, it sort of blends in, unless you knew they came color-coded new.

Painting can work, but it will bond to the body paint and make later removal a PITA that could snowball into a paint job!

I would recommend black unless you are seeking a proper restoration. And if, down the road, the mythical correct NOS beading comes along, it's a bolt-on upgrade.

I found this on the web/ The black shows along the top of the rear fender, and at the bottom corners of the windshield.

Agreed with Phil. If you do decide to paint it, you can use this for the frunk and trunk. Maybe use it for a paint match to the "T" and "L" beading.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111821707BWH

But black really does go with everything.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

I had great luck painting a piece of beading with single stage mixed with MEK. You can also get custom matched SEM vinyl paint at a local paint store. I like all my beading to match my cars.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fender Beading Color Reply with quote

I tried to use vinyl dye on beading. Similar to vinyl paint, it is supposed to permeate the vinyl. In my opinion, do not bother unless you really know how to mix color on the fly and then be able to repeat the result. It works, but the color will be off.
https://www.amazon.com/Coconix-Vinyl-Leather-Repair-Kit/dp/B07JC7SFNS
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: