Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan MV Weekender Conversion to Camper
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wtonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Eurovan MV Weekender Conversion to Camper Reply with quote

Hi,
Wondering if anyone has any cool ideas to convert a weekender eurovan to a camper idea? I'm looking to keep the queen bed but want to possibly add a little sink with stove in front behind the driver side. Possibly adding a electric hook up for when we are staying at power camp sites.

I have a 1993 Eurovan MV manual
87calwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan MV Weekender Conversion to Camper Reply with quote

If you don't need the bench seat for passengers you could remove and construct platform bed. Curious to see what your layout for MV to camper. I also have '93 MV that I have owned for 100k miles over the last 10 years. Still stock except interior removed both rear facing seats. Opens up the living space.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan MV Weekender Conversion to Camper Reply with quote

If I can't find a full CV interior to swap in, then I'll need to make my own. I really like the rolling rear seat on the Weekender, but it's not very space efficient when installing built in equipment and general storage. Also, it's nice to be able to lift the seat and add/remove stuff from the top. I think my approach is to use a T3 Westfalia rear seat setup, and then build cabinets around it similar to both the T3 and T4 CV.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan MV Weekender Conversion to Camper Reply with quote

I think this would be awesome. I like the full width rear bed. The cabinet layout in the camper is also a little less than desirable.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan MV Weekender Conversion to Camper Reply with quote

Well it sure sounds like a good Idea but what about a sink cabinet w ice box from a early bay. Then everything would be there and handy..If stock won't work you could clone it and shrink it a bit ..If you remove the jump seats...keep the queen bed if your big like me..Please keep us posted..Bill...93 Eurovan (converted to weekender)
wtonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan MV Weekender Conversion to Camper Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Yeah I love the queen wide bed. I don’t want to narrow it down like the campers. I also love all the open windows. Wouldn’t want to cover any up with storage units. I was thinking of placing a dyi sink/stove unit where the table and rear facing seat is. Making sure I can still pull the bed down fully and making sure I can still sit inside with a table. Once I start doing work I’ll make sure to track my progress and post pictures.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan MV Weekender Conversion to Camper Reply with quote

I saw a conversion that added the camper rear window ,while keeping the stock reg windows..Very cool.. by the way those sink icebox cabinets are easily removable.. I'm planning on installing one in my 93 mv weekender if I can find one here in PR I or wherever you are if not you could make. One..They were on late splitty and early baywindow westys..You can Find a picture in the want ads of our beloved Samba... I hAve one in Vt and will post it when I get back there in Apr. Bill in PR till spring
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan MV Weekender Conversion to Camper Reply with quote

Any progress on this build??Here in PR people really make some nice custom interiors..They really invent great stuff. Sorry I can't.download the pics....Bill
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan MV Weekender Conversion to Camper Reply with quote

Over the years I've attempted to solve this problem. I've never been happy with my results but they were functional. I tried 2 versions of a camping box. The first sat behind the drivers seat and mounted to the floor using the same bolts that hold the cooler box seat. The second mounted behind the passenger seat. I added mounting bars bolted to the passenger seat to hold it.

Both were meant to be used outside the van, but either could be used inside if necessary. So, the boxes will fit the space when the bench seat is fully extended into a bed.

These are the only pictures I have. Both are now sitting in the corner of my garage collecting dust. I have a new idea that I'm ruminating on.

Version 1. This is the one that sits behind the drivers seat. The table on the left slips into hinges and becomes the front cover for the box. The table on the right lifts up and plops down over the stove as a cover for travel.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Version 2. This sits behind the passenger seat. The big open area underneath stored one of those huge rolling ice chests that are shaped like a cube. The table on the left just flipped down. The rear extension with the dish pan is removable and stored to the side.

This is my current box. It fits right behind the rear bumper.

IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan MV Weekender Conversion to Camper Reply with quote

@bigfoot_ev Thanks for posting those. I find all three interesting. Smile

Is Version 2 DIY or purchased? If the latter, what/where from; if the former, where'd you get the table post? Could be a useful little piece of hardware.

How do you like your current "fits right behind the rear bumper" ( Wink ) solution so far? What make/model is it as well?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigfoot_ev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan MV Weekender Conversion to Camper Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:

Is Version 2 DIY or purchased?

It's DIY using mostly 8020 aluminum extrusion. Great stuff by the way for DIY projects. When I get around to version 3 I will definitely use 8020 again.
Quote:

where'd you get the table post? Could be a useful little piece of hardware.

I got it from Amazon, like all things these days. If you search for 'adjustable rv table leg' you will find a number of options.
Quote:

How do you like your current "fits right behind the rear bumper" ( Wink ) solution so far? What make/model is it as well?

For us these days, it's perfect. We like to set up camp and do local exploring. This makes the perfect 'base camp'. And when we're back at camp the van acts like our living room/dining room. We can still do the true weekender trip with the just the van so there are options.

The trailer is made by Oregon Trail'R and it's called a TerraDrop. It's an awesome build and they're great folks. Highly recommended.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan MV Weekender Conversion to Camper Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers!

I had a feeling that was the case on Version 2 (extrusion-based DIY), but you'd nicely thought through enough little details I had to ask. Smile

Love the clearance on that trailer! Thanks for the info on it as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: