Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

Hello-

I need new tires for the 1966 13-window I am restoring. Before I do buy them, I have a question.

I have found different information on tires, about whether or not whitewall or no-whitewall. Can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Were whitewall tires considered original or is it just a matter of preference?

Thank you
-Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

If you mean "original" as in from the factory on the bus, that is a good question. They were available from the dealership though.

Listed in the "Damage Numbers" manual here:

http://www.oacdp.org/
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

While I bought this about 50-60% restored, what is remaining, I'd like to get as "off the factory" with things as much as I am able. Thanks !!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

Sorry Eric, I hit enter too fast. If I am reading it right, looks like whitewall is listed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
Sorry Eric, I hit enter too fast. If I am reading it right, looks like whitewall is listed.

Yes, yes it does. Just not sure if those were on the bus from the factory or factory supplied tires to the VW dealerships that the VW dealers were reporting if later there was a problem.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

From the 1966 VW Dealer accessory manual:

markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

Well, this is getting interesting ha-ha. I could go either way with non-white or white. Thank you Eric for posting.

A quick internet search on 1966 vw bus deluxe shows the majority with whitewall. And some with the "wider" white, coker classic.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

Note 1500 options on Page 2....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/66exportpricelist.php
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/pressphotos/66deluxe_1a.jpg

A neat shot from the archives here. Looks like bias plys to my eyes.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

M code 091 is white wall tires

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/pressphotos/66deluxe_1a.jpg

A neat shot from the archives here. Looks like bias plys to my eyes.

Yep. Thin whitewalls were an option for 1966.
Wide whites were earlier Buses.

I don't think it had to be an M-code thing though, you could upgrade at the dealership when new too.
I know I've seen them listed on various dealership price lists

Here's a 1966 price list from NY I found in the Gallery

Whitewall tires for Buses in the lower right - $35
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

Thank you to all replies.

Whitewall (thin lined) is what I'll be putting on.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
Thank you to all replies.

Whitewall (thin lined) is what I'll be putting on.

a 66 would have 7.00-14 bias plies, tubeless.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

mandraks.... i looked that up... saw mostly images of non-whitewall and some whitewall... is non-white what you are suggesting? Thank you.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
mandraks.... i looked that up... saw mostly images of non-whitewall and some whitewall... is non-white what you are suggesting? Thank you.

no not at all. only saying the proper size of the tire for 66-67 was 7.00-14 rather than 6.40-15 on the previous years.

Both sizes are available in Black, Thin or wide whitewall.

So if you have the stock 14 inch wheels, then 7.00-14 bias ply would be the appropriate stock tire.

I personally love how Bias ply tires ride. SOO comfortable. However, they are more expensive than say a 185/14 radial tire. they also do not last as long, and they definitely squeal when you go around corners like you would with a more modern car.

Uli

markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

Ah gotcha you. Thank you mandraks.... great feedback.
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

mandraks ... I found this online today. Could I impose upon you to verify this is what you were thinking? https://www.cokertire.com/tires/700-14-bf-goodrich-1-whitewall-tire.html

Of course my hub caps will be the VW chrome types like this or something similar https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113601151WW

Thank you
-Mark
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

I had those tires on my old '64 13-Window if you want to see what they look like

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

Thank you Everett... that helps.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question - 1966 deluxe tire Reply with quote

markeaton wrote:
mandraks ... I found this online today. Could I impose upon you to verify this is what you were thinking? https://www.cokertire.com/tires/700-14-bf-goodrich-1-whitewall-tire.html

Of course my hub caps will be the VW chrome types like this or something similar https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113601151WW

Thank you
-Mark

yes, that would be the right size. Only thing i see is that it is a 4ply tire, and 6ply would be better if you plan on using it "heavily". a 6ply would be a little stiffer, and it would handle more weight than the 4plys.

Maybe Everett can chime in with how his tires rode.

Uli

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: