Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to remove the Fresh Air Vent Unit from Dash?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingricker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: How to remove the Fresh Air Vent Unit from Dash? Reply with quote

I’m having no luck in manipulating the four plastic set points so to release my fresh air units from the dash. I can get to them, but failing to correctly manipulate the tabs/points to release the unit. Only video I found was a guy replacing them so he just broke off the mount points to release the vent unit.

I’m basically hoping to get into the back of the unit and the hose it’s connected to so to clear out some debris that is causing noise at high speed. Once I do this I’m then hoping to setup a windscreen filter in the front like I’ve seen other folks do that keeps debris from entering the fresh air tubing/ducts.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick
'85 Westy
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove the Fresh Air Vent Unit from Dash? Reply with quote

Can you post a pic of what you want to remove? I am having trouble IDing it.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove the Fresh Air Vent Unit from Dash? Reply with quote

Side vents at the ends of the Dash? I think 4 mounting tabs if I remember right, thin flat blade screwdriver to release them if I remember correctly. I think I came in from the front to gently pry each tab downward, but, my vent was a bit more open internally due to a piece or two missing from it, so I had more room to flex things
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove the Fresh Air Vent Unit from Dash? Reply with quote

Use a metal pick to pull the tabs in from the vent part.
kingricker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How to remove the Side Fresh Air Vent Units from the Dash? Reply with quote

I should of been more specific in the description. Yes, the 2 side vents on the dash with 4 mount point tabs. It’s awfully tight coming in from the front where I’m concerned I’ll break the frame, but I’ll try again using the thinnest blade, or pick I can come up with. I was coming in from the back trying to push/pull on the tabs without success.

It’s hard without a visual reference showing if the tabs need to be lifted, or pushed down to release as designed.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rick
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove the Fresh Air Vent Unit from Dash? Reply with quote

To remove the adjustable vents. Using a pair of pliers (duckbills are the best) gently grasp the middle horizontal louver and pull straight back. Now you can release each of the 4 plastic tabs as you push from the rear. Only release the tabs the absolute minimum amount to avoid breakage. They are designed to be disassembled.

I did a search of theSamba forum. Do not attempt to lever them out!
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove the Fresh Air Vent Unit from Dash? Reply with quote

6:34 in this gowesty dash removal video shows the removal of the defrost vents. They don't really talk about it in the voiceover, but looks like a pick in the tab of the vent and then applying force to pull it away from the dash (with the screwdriver)
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: How to remove the Fresh Air Vent Unit from Dash? Reply with quote

GoWesty video is wrong again! The installed rotatable portion of the vent assembly will not allow disassembly without removal. Assembled no, removed yes without risk of damage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: