Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spare wheel on roofrack
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Spare wheel on roofrack Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm considering putting my spare on the Westy Roofrack.

It's a early Westy, so the rack is at the back.

Is this a good plan? Not seen it done before and just wondered what peoples thoughts are on this. The whole rack seems to be attached by 4 bolts to the roof. Are those tie down mounting points for the straps good enough?

I don't like the front mount idea and the usual rear wheel well has a cupboard on it.

Other option is behind the front seat but not sure about that either.

Thanks
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare wheel on roofrack Reply with quote

I've had my spare on the roof rack of my 71 Westy for years now with no problems at all.

I put a kayak strap under, and up through, the bars.. then put the tire resting over it, and threaded the strap up through the holes and tightened it. Then I covered it with a vinyl cover I found online somewhere.. Works like a charm... can't see the strap and it doesn't buzz in the wind. Stays put nicely. It is also easily accessible through the zippered back window of the pop top if ever needed and to check pressure before trips.

I did make sure that all the screws holding that rack down were solid... and that all the rivets on the bars were good as well. The pop top itself closes on the front of the roof rack section on early bay westies... so I felt it to be strong enough... I mean, a tire is no different from the luggage it was designed for really.
I have traveled all over the place with no issues at all. Lots of people think it is an air conditioner, but we call it the radar con LOL!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare wheel on roofrack Reply with quote

Hello,
Mountainkeep, Where have you been? stuck under a covid rock or something?.
How's the bus doing, did you get everything ready for summer camping?.Yet, you do have a pretty nice setup in the front yard.
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare wheel on roofrack Reply with quote

We had the covid rock dropped on us in fact lol! Good now though. Bus is ready and raring to go! (I hope!) Just waiting for weather to warm up just a bit more... soon though! And you?
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Spare wheel on roofrack Reply with quote

I keep my spare in a waterproof bag in the luggage rack with my awning and ground cover. I cut a piece of foam and had it covered to fill the spare tire area to allow a wider bed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Spare wheel on roofrack Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. OK up there she goes then!

Thanks and 2 great looking buses.

Cheers

Jake
MountainKeep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Spare wheel on roofrack Reply with quote

The extra bed space is nice. And not having a crunched up front end cap is even nicer Laughing
Just make sure all your screws and rivets are good up on top! Post a pic when you have it up there. Safe travels!
Marya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Spare wheel on roofrack Reply with quote

Would love to see a pic or two of a spare tire stored above a Rivi (so above the front seats), if anyone has one. Thanks!
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Spare wheel on roofrack Reply with quote

Hoping my canoe fits over it the spare seamlessly, otherwise my spare will go on my hitch bike rack instead when not using the trailer.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: