Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adjusting idf 40 carburetors
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ksmit258
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Adjusting idf 40 carburetors Reply with quote

So I’m adjusting carburetors...i followed this redline procedure I read.
Turned idle screw 1/4 after touch rough as hell but stayed running..adjusted 2 idle mixture screws on one side until running good....other side (left) I can turn all the way in and no change...so I backed 2 turns and was going to close other side all the way after I recorded turns.
Soon as I turn all the way in would die....it’s like the one side idle mixture screws are doing anything...same jets, float height both cleaned the same and same idle jets on both side.....any help...I might need to describe better also
But it’s getting there...no more gas in oil... diaphragm on fuel pump bad.
Oil/fuel coming out of exhaust...resolved all new ignition parts and re set timing and valve clearance.
By the way compression check
96- on 1
99.5 on 2
99 on 4
102 on 3
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting idf 40 carburetors Reply with quote

Were the carbs THROUGHLY cleaned, now kinda sorta but THROUGHLY cleaned, before you installed them?

Also, are the jets virgin (a.k.a. not drilled out)?

SNORE # 1196 sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- Barnwerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”
S. McQueen
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting idf 40 carburetors Reply with quote

ALSO , it is imperative to disconnect the throttle linkages. If not, you’ll never get it right. When you hook it back up, they MUST open at exactly the same time or it will cause all sorts of issues like vibrations and such.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ksmit258
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting idf 40 carburetors Reply with quote

Yes to cleaned...I spent over a weak a very thorough cleaning and they are brand new 115 jets I installed...

And thanks I did not know you should do it without the linkage.
They is great idea I will try next...
Thanks all for the input!!!
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting idf 40 carburetors Reply with quote

Ksmit258 wrote:
Yes to cleaned...I spent over a weak a very thorough cleaning and they are brand new 115 jets I installed...

And thanks I did not know you should do it without the linkage.
They is great idea I will try next...
Thanks all for the input!!!

You're using a sync tool right? Snail gauge or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RulfLVoRtZ4

It sounds to me like you're not. If they aren't synced the mix wont work on the side that is pulling less vacuum.

To get them to idle sure count your turns and start off a little higher than you want so that the motor will idle and use the snail gauge to adjust them the same.

Also curious if the compression check was done @ WOT. Seems low to me.
Ksmit258
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting idf 40 carburetors Reply with quote

Yes WOT when compression checked...yes not perfect but not low enough to dive into motor over summer...be a winter project next year. I’m in Michigan!!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Adjusting idf 40 carburetors Reply with quote

Compression may be a bit low but it is fairly even. That to me is most important. The original compression ratio of the engine and the altitude you are at play a big part in how high those numbers are. I once had a 36 hp engine that had 75 psi all around and it ran fine. In fact it was still running good 2 years later when a co-worker bought it from the couple I sold it to. I judge the need to rebuild more by oil consumption than by how high the compression numbers are.
Ksmit258
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting idf 40 carburetors Reply with quote

This project is getting better and better...very happy how it’s going.
So my next question is I ordered this snail tool for synchronization.
What number is the bogey...or any and all advice will be great full

IE: set both and front and rear barrels same,
Engine at full temperature?
Use idle mixture to get numbers??
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Adjusting idf 40 carburetors Reply with quote

Ksmit258 wrote:
This project is getting better and better...very happy how it’s going.
So my next question is I ordered this snail tool for synchronization.
What number is the bogey...or any and all advice will be great full

IE: set both and front and rear barrels same,
Engine at full temperature?
Use idle mixture to get numbers??

Number isn't so important just want the carbs the same. It's adjustable by throttle adjustment. Mix won't change it. To get the barrels close on the same carb you use the bypass. I've only had to do it on one set. The barrels should be close on same carb but it isn't as important as between the two carbs is

Watch the video I posted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: