Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust drip stains
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clabby93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Rust drip stains Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been asked, I couldn't get search results to come up. I'm trying to revive a bus that's been sitting, it's got these horrible stains where rust dripped from the side windows and windshield.

I'm hoping to get away with only replacing the metal on the top of the panels and repainting above the "hump" body line, is there anything to get these out or am I stuck repainting the whole thing? I tried some quick detailer, WD40, and elbow grease as suggested on youtube but these seem too baked in for that.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust drip stains Reply with quote

Try some vinegar on a part that has to be painted anyway. Use a rag and rub. You may have to do this a few times. If it does remove the stain, immediately wash with water then polish that section to see what the vinegar has done to the paint.

It’s hard to determine the reaction with the type of paint you have.

Unfortunately I think the paint may be damaged too far to be retrieved.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rust drip stains Reply with quote

Its probably soaked into the pores of the paint. If the paint was kept waxed or polished it might have been able to resist the rust. This was probably not the case if it sat neglected.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clabby93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust drip stains Reply with quote

Thanks yall. I tried the vinegar and it lightened one of the smaller ones, but not by much. I read about IronX / iron remover and went and got some on Amazon, 12 bucks for a 16oz bottle. Couldn't be happier with the results. Still left the paint a little dark on the run spots where it was really baked in, but this is before I did any sort of detailing. Took probably 10 applications of 1-2min each with powerwashing in between to remove the worst ones. Now to start cutting out this cancer...

carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rust drip stains Reply with quote

Try to use clay bar and polish the paint.
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust drip stains Reply with quote

Much better!
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rust drip stains Reply with quote

That's oxalic acid, also great for removing rust/iron stains from well water sprinklers marking on house or fence. Ace or any hd etc, has it.Try locally treating the rust spot with Ospho, it may convert it and slow it down.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: