Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 pulley
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: 356 pulley Reply with quote

Hello everyone, i haveca 71 westy stroker motor ,all tin full flowed ext cooler and the head temps are a little warm.Oil is always cool however i have a welded and balsnced fan so i know it can doba little more rpm and live, i am putting on the 356 pulley to get more cfms.Anyone have any good or bad to say about this?I am in L.A (lower Alabama) so we are very hot here in summer months.Thanks all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using one for years without issue.
I have seen some problems w/ the new ones available from pelican, etc.
they are cast, not stamped like the OGs.

The main problem I have w/ mine is I can never remember the belt size Laughing
if you have an alternator you will need to do a little grinding and you will need the special shims to get the front part of the pulley off the gen/alt.
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: pulley Reply with quote

I do have the alternator,What shims are needed? Where can i get them?Thznks for the reply
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found them @ Stoddard:
http://www.stoddard.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes
being that you are in AL you may want to try Auto Atlanta.

you will only need one or two to space the FRONT of the pulley off the hub a bit.
you can use VW shims between the two pulley halves.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 pulley Reply with quote

Can anyone provide a belt size for 356 Porsche fan pulley w/stock VW 1600 crank pulley?

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 pulley Reply with quote

I have it Ill get to the bus tommorrow really helps with cooling
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 pulley Reply with quote

Right on, thanks.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 pulley Reply with quote

Can someone post a pic of this 356 pulley?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: 356 pulley Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: 356 pulley Reply with quote

It is a much smaller diameter get a true Porsche pooley if you can because they are very high quality I will post up tonight the whole set up the shims and everything it makes it big difference the vehicle runs a lot cooler especially in a bus
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 356 pulley Reply with quote

There are also these dry sump pullies
https://dunebuggywarehouse.com/kidd-racing-dry-sump-alternator-pulley.html
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 356 pulley Reply with quote

Would going small on the crank pulley produce the same effect as the 356 pulley? I’m a bike guy and if I think of it like the gears on a bike, going smaller on the big ring would allow you to spin faster. Thoughts?

I’m asking b/c I went with a 6 3/4" CB Equalizer pulley to replace my 7” stock pulley.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 356 pulley Reply with quote

The smaller crank pulley spins your fan slower. If anything you’d want a bigger pulley down low to raise fan speed. I don’t think there’s room to spare around the crank tin for a bigger wheel.

I understand the smaller crank pulley reduces engine drag by slowing down the fan.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 356 pulley Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:
The smaller crank pulley spins your fan slower. If anything you’d want a bigger pulley down low to raise fan speed. I don’t think there’s room to spare around the crank tin for a bigger wheel.

I understand the smaller crank pulley reduces engine drag by slowing down the fan.

Makes sense as I do feel like acceleration is better with the 6 3/4” pulley. 🤷‍♂️ I haven’t taken many trips since I had the 6 3/4” pulley installed. But this weekend we are headed to Canyon Lands and my eyes will be on the temps.

Now, has anyone actually come up with numbers on the 356 pulley? How much faster does your fan actually spin? what percent lower temps have been recorded? Does this lower head temps, oil temps or both ? Maybe I’ll venture over to the performance forum sometime and see what I can dig up.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 pulley Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:
Can anyone provide a belt size for 356 Porsche fan pulley w/stock VW 1600 crank pulley?

I found your answer in the performance forum, here’s the link:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=701092&highlight=356+pulley
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 pulley Reply with quote

Thank you RP

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 356 pulley Reply with quote

Jeff Geisen wrote:

After reading every thread in the performance forum with “356 pulley” in the title I learned, that it’s really not that much of a difference. Most say it’s loud, robs HP and should only be run with a welded fan. They say that the 356 also used a small crank pulley so the fan did not run faster in a 356. I also learned this:

Stock crank pulley 7” with a stock 4.25” alt pulley = 1.647 ratio

Stock crank pulley 7” with the 356 3.75” alt pulley = 1.866 ratio

Aftermarket pulley 6.75” with stock 4.25” alt pulley = 1.588 ratio

Aftermarket pulley 6.75” with stock 3.75” alt pulley = 1.8 ratio

Aftermarket power pulley 5.75” with stock 4.25” alt pulley = 1.352 ratio

Aftermarket power pulley 5.75” with 356 3.75” alt pulley = 1.533 ratio

A power pulley adds HP but then it’s robbed again if you pair it with a 356 alt pulley. I don’t know, seems like it could be worth trying if you can find an affordable one. Seems like the “new” one are like $100 or so, although it seems the recommendation is to find a nice OG used one.

I’m currently running the 6.75/4.25 combo, I’m only off by .059 from stock. Would it be worth it to me to increase the speed by .212 with the 356 pulley? 🤷‍♂️
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 356 pulley Reply with quote

I had one on my Bus 2110cc and It did cool the heads better , got it from Pelican parts and it finally wore out , belts won't stay tight, so back to stock size ,and yea my head temps went up Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 356 pulley Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Jeff Geisen wrote:

After reading every thread in the performance forum with “356 pulley” in the title I learned, that it’s really not that much of a difference. Most say it’s loud, robs HP and should only be run with a welded fan. They say that the 356 also used a small crank pulley so the fan did not run faster in a 356. I also learned this:

Stock crank pulley 7” with a stock 4.25” alt pulley = 1.647 ratio

Stock crank pulley 7” with the 356 3.75” alt pulley = 1.866 ratio

Aftermarket pulley 6.75” with stock 4.25” alt pulley = 1.588 ratio

Aftermarket pulley 6.75” with stock 3.75” alt pulley = 1.8 ratio

Aftermarket power pulley 5.75” with stock 4.25” alt pulley = 1.352 ratio

Aftermarket power pulley 5.75” with 356 3.75” alt pulley = 1.533 ratio

A power pulley adds HP but then it’s robbed again if you pair it with a 356 alt pulley. I don’t know, seems like it could be worth trying if you can find an affordable one. Seems like the “new” one are like $100 or so, although it seems the recommendation is to find a nice OG used one.

I’m currently running the 6.75/4.25 combo, I’m only off by .059 from stock. Would it be worth it to me to increase the speed by .212 with the 356 pulley? 🤷‍♂️

Pulley size is not the only variable in pulley/fan ratio. The belt is a key factor as well since you can use a smaller belt that fits lower in the upper pulley thus turning the fan faster. The best thing to do is find out what your current crank pulley to fan ratio is by turning your crank pulley 1 rotation and counting the number of turns the upper pulley makes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: