Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FI throttle body butterfly shaft seal top
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harwal has a lot of good stuff. I have not used them for auto seals....only industrial atuff.... but they are also one of the handful on my list that can make small numbers of custom and semi custom seals of a huge range of configurations.

Nitryl....or NBR rubber (Buna-N)....will be just fine for this application. ...but if you ant 5o never have to likely need to replace this seal again in your lifetime...see if they can provide the same seal in EPDM (best) or EPR (not as good but still tougher than NBR in longevity. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, my old seal was double lipped with a spring and had a VW part number on it. I found a substitute like you did by size, and also Phil sent me some used ones that still had life. If the shaft has very much wobble in it the throttle plate will dig into the sidewall of the throttle body. Phil rebushes them, cleans up the bore and puts oversize plates into them.
Thrasher22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: throttle body shaft seal Reply with quote

Direct link to the product: http://harwal.com/product/15257

I can't find it listed on the Motion Industries website

EDIT: This looks like what we need.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metric-Oil-Shaft-Seal-7-x-...258324100f
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrasher22 wrote:
Direct link to the product: http://harwal.com/product/15257

I can't find it listed on the Motion Industries website

EDIT: This looks like what we need.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metric-Oil-Shaft-Seal-7-x-...258324100f

Hmmm....looking at the cross section of that seal.....and it should work fine for a lightly loaded application like this.....but there are much better oil seal profiles that are less easily damaged. If course it begs the question of whether they have a better seal profile in the right size.....

Take a look here: http://www.alliedmetrics.com/seals/oil-seals/oil-seal-profiles.php

and scroll down styles TCG and SCG. Double lip, more vertical hold of the spring....and steel cap on the top side so you dont damage it pushing it in...and grip ridges around the sides.

Styles TBE and SBE may have a more precise fit if you can get them in the correct ID and OD. Allied Metrics is also a good company to shop seals from. Its where I had my caliper half seals made.

As far as the rubber type.....my earlier assessment for EPDM here is wrong. If you need better heat range than NBR...while EPDM would be awesome...its not good for a lot of aromatic hydrocarbons so any gasoline that got back to this or carb cleaner would not be good for EPDM. Use Viton.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Naladahc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: FI throttle body butterfly shaft seal top Reply with quote

I know this topic has been dead for 5 years, but I am now in the same position as needing these throttle body shaft seals on my L-Jetronic 79 Type 1 restoration.

Now upon removal, I guess I saw them as more of a bushing than a seal. Given all these old responses, I'm assuming I'm incorrect.

I'm going to try and 3-D print something similar using a material that will be resistant to typical engine liquids and intermediate temperatures.

It may serve both as a bushing for the shaft and a seal as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1979 VW Beetle - Murbella
1972 VW Super Beetle - Żuczek

Current Work: The Garage of Love™ - 1979 Beetle - Murbella Project Work

https://thegarageoflove.com/
https://www.facebook.com/murbellaandzuczek/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: FI throttle body butterfly shaft seal top Reply with quote

Naladahc wrote:
I know this topic has been dead for 5 years, but I am now in the same position as needing these throttle body shaft seals on my L-Jetronic 79 Type 1 restoration.

Now upon removal, I guess I saw them as more of a bushing than a seal. Given all these old responses, I'm assuming I'm incorrect.

I'm going to try and 3-D print something similar using a material that will be resistant to typical engine liquids and intermediate temperatures.

It may serve both as a bushing for the shaft and a seal as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pm phil and ask him if he has a spare used one. If the throttle shaft is worn or the butterfly digging into the throttle body you will want to have him remanufacture it for you.
Naladahc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: FI throttle body butterfly shaft seal top Reply with quote

[quote="SGKent"
pm phil and ask him if he has a spare used one. If the throttle shaft is worn or the butterfly digging into the throttle body you will want to have him remanufacture it for you.[/quote]

I may do that.

Hopefully I'll get outside today and inspect the shaft and bore in the throttle body.

I saw no wear concerns when I was restoring the exterior of the plenum halves or throttle bottle, but I wasn't looking all that deep when I disassembled the linkage or shaft. I was more concerned about the layers of crud all over everything.
1979 VW Beetle - Murbella
1972 VW Super Beetle - Żuczek

Current Work: The Garage of Love™ - 1979 Beetle - Murbella Project Work

https://thegarageoflove.com/
https://www.facebook.com/murbellaandzuczek/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: FI throttle body butterfly shaft seal top Reply with quote

Actually the part you are looking at ......while I have no idea if it was ever a "stock" part.....is a damn nice seal design. I suspect it could have been bought that way or put together from parts.

Its layout is called a "squeeze type" seal or packing in some sectors of the seal industry. It is an o-ring backed single lip, rotary shaft seal.

Unlike hydraulic versions of this seal type.....the inner seal works more as a simple packing to keep lubricants in. The single long seal lip is actually designed for axial shaft sealing....like the rod or shaft moving in and out through the seal. But it should be plenty fine for radial shaft sealing like what is needed here.

3D print? .....in something that is elastic to seal....works with at max 300° heat.....and is gasoline and oil proof.....not likely.

Unless you are using a system with syringe feeds and UV curing....something like Nordson with a "Blue Wave" curing system.....your main available materials for 3D printing other than thermoplastic's....will be TPU's (Thermoplastic urethane)...similar to TPU 92A.....and what are being marketed as EPU's.....or elastomeric polyurethane resins.....which are actually just TPE blends being marketed to 3D printers.

None of these have anywhere near the temperature range required and are too soft.

But.....a very simple and functional method you can do with your 3D printer.....you CAN use your high temp nylon filament to make an outer shell very similar to the design of seal you pulled out of your TB.....that simply has a pair of stacked viton o-rings inside around the shaft. That would work well.

Or.....you can use your 3D printer to make a "model" seal.....and or print/ make a mold.....and simply cast the outer shell out of high temp silicone from smooth-on or a few other places.

Again.....the actual seal lips inside should be a simple viton o-ring. While the smooth on high temp silicone will hold up to over 400F......sooner or later it will get some slight shrinkage because its not an automotive grade silicone. That will be fine for fit...meaning it will not fall out.....but its not ideal for sealing. Thats what the replaceable o-rings inside are for.

Of course there are some oil proof, high temp automotive grade casting silicones available.....good to 500° and work fine with gasoline and oil.....these are fluoro-silicones.....but at about $300 a pound.....probably not what you want. Ray
A2VR6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: FI throttle body butterfly shaft seal top Reply with quote

Hello all,
Dose anyone know where I can find 1 of these seals? I called Harwal and they are Out till July.
Thank you!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: FI throttle body butterfly shaft seal top Reply with quote

I have a spare Harwal as was posted earlier. If you would like it, PM me, and i will mail my spare to you. I only ask that you order a few now for replacement of my stock whenever they come in. I think they cost a whopping $2.50/ea. Shocked

Keep the $2.50

Just curious, did Harwal say that all their distributirs were out, or just the number you called. I got mine at Motion Industries in Manchester, NH ( closest to me). Maybe call a few of their stores and ask, or take mine.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
A2VR6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: FI throttle body butterfly shaft seal top Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
I have a spare Harwal as was posted earlier. If you would like it, PM me, and i will mail my spare to you. I only ask that you order a few now for replacement of my stock whenever they come in. I think they cost a whopping $2.50/ea. Shocked

Keep the $2.50

Just curious, did Harwal say that all their distributirs were out, or just the number you called. I got mine at Motion Industries in Manchester, NH ( closest to me). Maybe call a few of their stores and ask, or take mine.

PM send. THANK YOU!
Harwal said they are out till July and they told me who to call here in Boise and see if they have any in stock and I called 6 different placed and all are out.
Thank you for your help!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: FI throttle body butterfly shaft seal top Reply with quote

on the way. should be to you by this weekend. get it back on the road!

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
A2VR6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: FI throttle body butterfly shaft seal top Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
on the way. should be to you by this weekend. get it back on the road!

Thank you so much for your help.
Have a great week!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: