Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original type key blanks for my 1964 1500S
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vmg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Original type key blanks for my 1964 1500S Reply with quote

Hi guys! I have another question: Key types!

I understand the 1964 cars used two keys (until 1967 they went to one key only), but there are many different varieties of key blank shapes.

Can anybody tell me the letter codes for the keys used?

Any suggestions as to where to source original key blanks?

Thanks,
Victor
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Original type key blanks for my 1964 1500S Reply with quote

I see that you are a newbie to theSamba. This guy -- http://gabvwkey.com/ -- Gabriel Garcia located in southern California comes highly recommended ---> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...start=1020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Original type key blanks for my 1964 1500S Reply with quote

If you have an original key - the code is on the key - if you don't have a key - you can remove the steering wheel and the key code should be etched on the face of the turn signal arm (assuming the ignition hasn't been replaced). The key code is typically NOT etched on the ignition housing itself.

There are a handful of key codes for the early-ish ignitions (H, FM, DV, etc.) and as you may imagine, they key profiles are specific to the code. Some blanks are easier to find than others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Original type key blanks for my 1964 1500S Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
If you have an original key - the code is on the key - if you don't have a key - you can remove the steering wheel and the key code should be etched on the face of the turn signal arm (assuming the ignition hasn't been replaced). The key code is typically NOT etched on the ignition housing itself.

There are a handful of key codes for the early-ish ignitions (H, FM, DV, etc.) and as you may imagine, they key profiles are specific to the code. Some blanks are easier to find than others.

And if you're looking for the door key code, pull the outside door locks, as the code is engraved on them. To remove them from the door, remove the screw that's holding it in place (usually found under the door seal).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
vmg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Original type key blanks for my 1964 1500S Reply with quote

Thank you guys!

But I am trying to find out the key codes, the letters, to get the correct blanks which I would have a local locksmith cut for me.

Any light on the subject?

Thanks!
Victor
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Original type key blanks for my 1964 1500S Reply with quote

there are so many variables, thats why people pointed you to gabe

If you have Halt/Garage/Fahrt/Start on your 61-66 ignition, it's an H code

If it doesnt, and it's smooth, I think thats a replacement 65-66 style and I believe that is a DV code

Early doors should be an A code
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Original type key blanks for my 1964 1500S Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

If it doesnt, and it's smooth, I think thats a replacement 65-66 style and I believe that is a DV code

Just to throw a rock into the blender - I have an early ignition w/script on bezel with an FM key code.
vmg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Original type key blanks for my 1964 1500S Reply with quote

Thank you Eric! I checked and I have a smooth switch... so I guess I have a replacement switch... hmmmm...

Thanks again for your help,
Victor
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Original type key blanks for my 1964 1500S Reply with quote

I have some smooth switches with both H code & FM code. Best way is to remove the column & see if the factory tape (can be seen near the terminal block at the rear of the column) has been removed. If either the turn signal arm or the ignition switch has been removed the tape will be removed. I have cut H code keys when the factory tape has not been tampered with & 9 out of 10 have worked. In the photo the factory black cloth style tape would be where the zip tie is on these repaired columns.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vmg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Original type key blanks for my 1964 1500S Reply with quote

Thanks! I will try to do that.

victor
_Pascal_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Original type key blanks for my 1964 1500S Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

Sorry for reviving this old thread but I have a similar situation. I do not have any door keys for my 1965 1500S. On the door locks there is indeed an A-code. Yet that does not help my locksmith as he does not know what type of blank key he needs to order. Can anyone point me in the right direction (besides http://www.gabvwkey.com as I am in europe)
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Original type key blanks for my 1964 1500S Reply with quote

You can use the generic key blanks for “A” code
Curtis V-15
Dominion 62DW
Ilco HF17
Taylor V70D

These blanks are out there just not in production any more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Original type key blanks for my 1964 1500S Reply with quote

You can try:

https://www.keyprof.com/de.Product-Oldtimersleutel.php

Or:

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/key_service

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
_Pascal_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Original type key blanks for my 1964 1500S Reply with quote

Thanks for your help!

Keyprof said they can make the key, so I placed an order. I handed him the information from rustyfastback about the specific key blanks so hopefully he will be able to deliver.

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/key_service did not have these specific blanks but they directed me to https://www.auto-schnatz.de/ I have not contacted them yet as I will first wait on Keyprof.

EDIT: Keys from Keyprof just arrived and they work. I can fully recommend his services. Thanks everyone involved!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: