Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Miscellaneous issues and questions 1968 VW Bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Miscellaneous issues and questions 1968 VW Bug Reply with quote

Preface: For some reason, I am unable to post some of my photos to the gallery, so I will attempt to describe what I mean as helpfully as possible.

I recently acquires a 1968 VW Beetle that's a little beat up, and I'm currently fixing it up. The most recent project I need advice on, is the radio. I replaced the inline fuse in the trunk compartment with an 8 volt fuse (as the original was missing), but I still haven't gotten any response from the radio.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also recently realised that there are a lot of disconnected wires in the engine compartment and I don't know exactly what goes where. If I could attach images, this would be a lot easier, but here we go.
There's a black wire that comes off the thick hose/cable that goes to the generator (no photo yet), that I don't know where it goes, as there's no obvious hookup point.

There's also a green wire, with a yellow plastic cylinder around it (no photo yet) that comes off the same generator hose/cable that I think goes to the ignition coil, as one of the contacts is missing a cable. (correct me if I'm wrong)
There's also a fuse that is attatched to a protuberance with a bolt just underneath where the distributor is mounted.

I don't see any random wires around, but the fuse has no wire, which makes me wonder where it goes

The third, and last, wire is double-stranded and comes from an inaccesible interior compartment through the housing and into the engine compartment just behind the left side of the engine. I think it might go to the right back-up light, but I'm not sure

I don't know what any of those do, and any help is much appreciated
There's also nothing attatched to fuse number 9 in the fuse box

Fuse 9 is supposed to be connected to the dome light and the emergency flashers. The dome light works, which makes me think the fuses are simply attatched somewhere else, but the emergency flasher doesn't work. It clicks once when I pull it out, and once when I push it back in. The right turn signal clicks irregularly, but doesn't blink, and both of these symptoms make me think the emergency flasher relay is shot. Is this correct?

There's also a tapered metal cylinder with foam inside it, that I cannot ascertain what it is, and whether or not it is important. The cylinder is located right as you open the engine lid, and a little to the right.

I've also been looking high and low for seatbelts, as I have the original seat belt catches with the lever releases, and would like to utilise them, but cannot, for the life of me, find them anywhere. Any help with that would also be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the excessive length and the lack of pictures. I'll see if I can find out what is wrong and add more clarity.

Edit: I managed to upload some of the pictures, but not all. I'll keep trying for the others

Thanks!

Last edited by Satou on Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Miscellanous issues and questions 1968 VW Bug Reply with quote

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious

Last edited by Dark Earth on Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
minimeadow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Miscellanous issues and questions 1968 VW Bug Reply with quote

I also bought a car with missing wiring in the engine compartment. The backup lights weren't working and the electric choke wasn't hooked up. I found the diagram in this post helpful:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225131&highlight=electric+choke

Good luck!
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Miscellanous issues and questions 1968 VW Bug Reply with quote

There are complete wiring diagrams in the technical section of this website, or in most of the shop manuals for your car. Sounds like you might want to to do a complete review of the wiring in your car, comparing everything to the wiring diagram.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Miscellanous issues and questions 1968 VW Bug Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
The maximum size picture you can post is a 1600 x 1600 jpg or png. My pixel phone takes pictures that are 4032 x 3024, for example. I end up uploading the pictures from the phone to my laptop and save them to a folder. Then I just open the picture in Paint and resize it to 1600 x 900 , 1600 x 1200, or 1600 x 1600 depending on what I want to show.

You can upload larger photos, the site will shrink them to a max of 1600
Unless they are so huge (in file size, not pixel dimensions) that they are too big to upload.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Satou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Miscellanous issues and questions 1968 VW Bug Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

You can upload larger photos, the site will shrink them to a max of 1600
Unless they are so huge (in file size, not pixel dimensions) that they are too big to upload.

I think all the photos I was trying to upload were downwards of 2 MB. That shouldn't be large enough to crash the website, would it?
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Miscellaneous issues and questions 1968 VW Bug Reply with quote

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious

Last edited by Dark Earth on Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Satou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Miscellaneous issues and questions 1968 VW Bug Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Do you get any kind of error message when you try to upload a pic ?

Yep. I just get an empty response from any web browser I use, and I must reload the page, at which point, my photo uploading template is reset

Update: Just kidding. My photo was succesfully uploaded this time. All I had to do was ask, apparently. Releveant photos should be forthcoming shortly
1968BUGMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Miscellaneous issues and questions 1968 VW Bug Reply with quote

So for the radio I would check to make sure that the wire that goes into the fuse has power when the key is on. If not then you have to check that. After that I would make sure that the power is going through the fuse, the fuse box could be corroded and resulting in a bad connection. Also the fuse is 8 amp not 8 volt. Is the protuberance on the engine case? Is it the oil pressure sender? The green wire to the generator is most likely your DF this is what gives the generator warning light on your speedo power. This would then go to the regulator and then to the front of the car. Attached is a wiring diagram. Do these wires come out in the engine bay or under the seat, if it is under the seat then it is for the regulator. Also the green wire could be to go from the coil to the distributor. It will come off of the - then to the condenser. Check around the generator to see if it is missing a wire, if it is then it is that. Check the distributor to see if there is a wire going from the condenser going to the coil.

Installing a Stereo Into a Classic VW | https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9502179#9502179
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1968BUGMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Miscellaneous issues and questions 1968 VW Bug Reply with quote

Also, does the car run. Because if it does then the wire does not go from the coil to the condenser, the car will not run without that.
Installing a Stereo Into a Classic VW | https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9502179#9502179
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Satou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Miscellaneous issues and questions 1968 VW Bug Reply with quote

1968BUGMAN wrote:
Also, does the car run. Because if it does then the wire does not go from the coil to the condenser, the car will not run without that.

The car does indeed run. The only significant mechanical issue I am aware of is the need to replace the brake cylinders, as the brakes barely have any stopping power at this point
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Miscellaneous issues and questions 1968 VW Bug Reply with quote

Sounds to me like you need to get the Bentley manual. The manual will hep with most of your questions and will help you identify part/names.
Satou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Miscellaneous issues and questions 1968 VW Bug Reply with quote

Michael Ambrozik wrote:
Sounds to me like you need to get the Bentley manual. The manual will hep with most of your questions and will help you identify part/names.

I have the Haynes manual with all the wiring diagrams, and I have the owners manual. Are you referring to a different one?
Michael Ambrozik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Miscellaneous issues and questions 1968 VW Bug Reply with quote

yes it is a blue manual for 1966-1969 vw bug service manual can be found on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Beetle-Karmann-S...0169400425

also look for this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-...5443527123
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: