Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removal of Steering Column Ignition locking unit
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Removal of Steering Column Ignition locking unit Reply with quote

Puerto Rico 1967 type 1 wrote:
so looks like the issue is the switch not the tumbler. Airhead parts sells the switch

part number: 111 905 865 EBR

Its easy to change out, just unscrew the two screws on the back of the switch.

Were you able to remove the two screws from the back of the switch and replace it with the new one?
Did it fix your problem?
Any issues or problems?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Puerto Rico 1967 type 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Removal of Steering Column Ignition locking unit Reply with quote

It was simple to swap out. The first switch was defective. It wouldn’t rotate. Got a replacement and worked no problem.
Russ1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Removal of Steering Column Ignition locking unit Reply with quote

OK, great.
I saw your other post where the key wouldn't turn with the new ignition switch.
Glad it worked out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JORGE ROBLES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Removal of Steering Column Ignition locking unit Reply with quote

Does anyone has a wiring diagram for steering wheel locking mechanism? Regards Jorge
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'67Vert wrote:
Here is a parts break down of the bolts that you will have to drill the heads off of to remove the column. Look at the bolts and you'll see the part of the bolt that shears off once it tightened to the correct torque. Hope this helps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
what up guys . I have to replace the rubber grommet that goes on the bottom of the firewall it keeps the steering column centered . question what is the best way to install this seal? I thought I could unbolt the steering column from the bottom I see that the horn button tab is in the way to slide up the seal . then I figured I can slide the seal down the column from inside the car but I have a steering lock . which brought me to this thread. at one point my steering lock was removed it doesn't have the breakaway bolts and it has regular bolts where u can unfasten. now that I'm looking at it this it seems like so much work for just a stupid seal . now im thinking of just slicing the seal and installing it. without taking anything apart.
Murdlem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Removal of Steering Column Ignition locking unit Reply with quote

Thanks for bumping this. I have been wondering how to remove the bolts on my steering lock, but now I see that all I need is my drill.

Perfect!

Check out my blog. https://vwlifenet.wordpress.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: