Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoursurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window Reply with quote

Whats best exhaust to use ofn a Subaru to bay swap, anyone with expierence?

I current have a header with a motor cycle pipe on end, like to it to be more quirt and hidden

1966 Mini Cooper Countryman
1965 Mini Cooper Sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window Reply with quote

I bought mine from the company that sold me the conversion parts but any custom exhaust should be able to help you

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window Reply with quote

Can you copy something like this ?

https://www.fellowsspeedshop.com/blog/product/exhaust-stainless-bus/

I'm running a 14210 Magnaflow. Very common muffler that the Vw community uses. A1 might even use them in their kits ?

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/14210-performan...ce-muffler

See what Skills recommends also. You could PM him ?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window Reply with quote

i just make my own. i don't like how some of them are set up and run too close to the timing belt and or the thermostat/coolant hoses

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window Reply with quote

If you have a 2.2L with dual port exhaust then KEP makes a decent (but pricey) header that also fits a 2.5L SOHC in case you want to upgrade later. I used one for my 2.5L swap into my 76 Westy and it worked out nicely. I also used a catalytic converter from a Vanagon and a Bug Pack muffler and it has good clearance from the plastic timing covers and coolant lines so I don't use a heat shield.

https://www.kennedyeng.com/subaru-vanagon

DB
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window Reply with quote

Have you looked at the OEM muffler setup on a Subaru BRZ? It’s pretty compact and fits right under the engine. A ton of Engineering goes into the factory exhaust system to create the perfect balance of power, efficiency, and sound Specific to the engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window Reply with quote

that is the catalytic converter, not the muffler.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i just make my own. i don't like how some of them are set up and run too close to the timing belt and or the thermostat/coolant hoses

Do you have a preferred supplier for the parts? I'm about there. My SC header just keeps cracking.
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window Reply with quote

FWIW.....I bought my primaries from Outfront then bought some mandrel piping in 90° and 180° then made my own up to the muffler of my choice. You can by flanges or buy some v-band clamps for better fitment. Maybe build off the factory heavy primaries? Is yours a dual exhaust port ?
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window Reply with quote

That box under the engine in my last post looked more like a primary muffler than a catalyst (it's pretty big for a cat), so I'm guessing the typical Suby to bus swap guy or gal would go without a cat. I personally like running catalytic converters, just to get rid of the stinky exhaust. The new cats are pretty efficient these days and take away virtually nothing from a performance perspective. I'd also think it would be pretty difficult to use the Subaru Power Control Module without an upstream and downstream O2 sensor input from the Catalyst (well that is if you don't mind the malfunction indicator light on all the time.....)
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window Reply with quote

Screen shot of the exhaust from my swap. Enough room for a trailer hitch and with the bumper on, you can't see the exhaust.

Link

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Fri May 14, 2021 3:46 pm; edited 4 times in total
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window Reply with quote

Sweet looking setup! Looks like you got an aftermarket catalytic converter on there also. If you appreciate quiet, consider adding a resonator. I experimented with adding one to the cheap PaceSetter muffler on my type 4 air cooled motor and it made a significant reduction in noise. I bet you could find one from a Subaru Forester or similar that is tuned to attenuate the exact frequencies the Suby motor makes. Could also fit between your cat and muffler. Since I don’t actually have a Suby swapped bus, take my comments as suggestion only. I think Skills or Vdubnut may have real world experience to share
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:

Do you have a preferred supplier for the parts? I'm about there. My SC header just keeps cracking.

i just buy a bunch of pipes from summit or jegs (same crap, just depends on what else i am ordering)

i try and build off the factory Y pipe. works well mostly unless the bus is slammed, then it's plan B

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window Reply with quote

I used the Rocky Mountain Westy (now VanCafe) stainless header, and added my own muffler and hanger. Fits very well, isn't too loud (but louder thank stock), and has a very nice exhaust note.

Header:
https://www.vancafe.com/RMW-SSEDP-4-p/rmw-ssedp-4.htm

Muffler:
Its a walker round body aluminized muffler. I'd have to dig up the PN

Upskirt pic:

From the back:

The passenger side bank primary pipe does run close to the water pump inlet connection, but there is plenty of room to work around it. I've had ZERO issues with any heat radiation from the header to the coolant pipes. Pic below from back when I was mocking it all up. I'm at 2.5 years and 10k miles on this arrangement now.

I've been extremely happy, and wouldn't change anything about the system.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
Sweet looking setup! Looks like you got an aftermarket catalytic converter on there also. If you appreciate quiet, consider adding a resonator. I experimented with adding one to the cheap PaceSetter muffler on my type 4 air cooled motor and it made a significant reduction in noise. I bet you could find one from a Subaru Forester or similar that is tuned to attenuate the exact frequencies the Suby motor makes. Could also fit between your cat and muffler. Since I don’t actually have a Suby swapped bus, take my comments as suggestion only. I think Skills or Vdubnut may have real world experience to share

Thanks 69BahamaYellow.

It's actually quieter than the aircooled was so I'm really happy with how it turned out. The Bugpack muffler is surprisingly quiet.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:

The passenger side bank primary pipe does run close to the water pump inlet connection, but there is plenty of room to work around it. I've had ZERO issues with any heat radiation from the header to the coolant pipes.

that's crazy. we tried that setup on davearks bus and i grabbed an extra 10* of heat.

for some reason, i think the one i used ran a bit closer to the t-stat. not shitting on it, if it works i'd call it a win

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: What exhaust to use on Subaru 2.2 swap into bay window Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:

The passenger side bank primary pipe does run close to the water pump inlet connection, but there is plenty of room to work around it. I've had ZERO issues with any heat radiation from the header to the coolant pipes.

that's crazy. we tried that setup on davearks bus and i grabbed an extra 10* of heat.

for some reason, i think the one i used ran a bit closer to the t-stat. not shitting on it, if it works i'd call it a win

Yea, I remember you telling me that when I was originally building it. I already had all the stuff though, so I continued on with the RMW header. Obviously something in the two setups were different, since I've had no issues with mine.

Although it is close, I don't feel like its too close if you route the line carefully. I maximized the space around the rigid coolant line when I built it. I suppose some of the variations in the water pump and tstat housing could play into things too though.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: