Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wrong Distributor?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlyAU98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Wrong Distributor? Reply with quote

I reached out to Tim at Volkbitz about buying a new carb...and he pointed out that I might not have the original distributor on my engine.

I have some hesitation issues that I chalked up to the EMPI carb...primarily taking off from a stop...often takes some fancy footwork to keep the engine running and keep from being deathly slow in the intersection... Also a little bit on hard acceleration (getting on an on-ramp to the interstate) or accelerating out of a corner.

I'm happy to buy the right stuff to get the engine running as well as possible. Would upgrading (or returning?) to a SVDA be beneficial for me?

1972 Super Beetle - as far as I know, the engine internals are stock.
Here is what I'm working with:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong Distributor? Reply with quote

Looks like you have a H30/31PICT which is an aftermarket carb. The distributor looks to be a 205K or 205M which is for a 66-68 engine. They can work together.

Your engine is a AE which is a 72.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong Distributor? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Looks like you have a H30/31PICT which is an aftermarket carb.

I think if he had a H30/31PICT carb that he'd need an adapter for his dual port center section; and I do not see an adapter in his photo.

My own 1600cc DP engine has the H30/31PICT on an adapter for its DP manifold. Here's mine (with a vintage German 009 distributor).

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
FlyAU98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong Distributor? Reply with quote

On closer inspection, the carb appears to be a EMPI 34 Pict 3:

Here is what I can see of the numbers on the installed distributor:

tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong Distributor? Reply with quote

You have a mismatch with that 34 PICT carburetor and vacuum only distributor pairing. The key digits to know which distributor are just out of view. Try reinstalling the SVDA and timing it correctly.

Since you've been in touch with Volkzbitz have him restore a German carburetor for you. A 30 PICT series and that distributor can be tuned to work together, the 34 PICT Empi, not.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FlyAU98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong Distributor? Reply with quote

I don’t have any of the old parts...no original carb, no different distributer.

That’s what I’m doing here...trying to figure out what is right if that is predicted to make a difference...so I can buy and install the correct parts.

I’ll try and see if I can get a better look at the installed distributer numbers in the daylight...
tasb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong Distributor? Reply with quote

30 PICT 1 = 113 905 205 K
30 PICT 2 = 113 905 205 M
30 PICT 3 = 113 905 205 T

The problem with a 34 PICT 3 is finding a good reliable SVDA that's going to last in the long run like the above pairings can/will.

After enlarging the pic I'm seeing Bosch# 0 231 137 021= VW# 113 905 205 M pair it to a 30 PICT 2 German Solex. If you don't have an adaptor plate to go under the carburetor be sure to ask Volkzbitz for one.

FlyAU98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wrong Distributor? Reply with quote

tasb wrote:

The problem with a 34 PICT 3 is finding a good reliable SVDA that's going to last in the long run like the above pairings can/will.

After enlarging the pic I'm seeing Bosch# 0 231 137 021= VW# 113 905 205 M pair it to a 30 PICT 2 German Solex. If you don't have an adaptor plate to go under the carburetor be sure to ask Volkzbitz for one.

I was able to jam my phone in around the fuel lines and get a picture of the obscured part of the distributor...it definitely is a 205 M.

I understand that buying a rebuilt carb (from an older, different engine) to match the incorrect distributor would likely result in a smoother engine...but wouldn't it also result in reduced available power from the engine, while opening up a can of worms with jetting. Another thread I read suggested that (at least on the 30 Pict 3) the accelerator pump push rod doesn't fit right with the adapter and mounting.

Unfortunately or not, most of the miles on my Beetle are on the Interstate...so having what little horsepower the engine can make is of some importance.

I think the biggest concern I have though is Frankensteing the motor together and not being able to tune it right without having a series of notes attached to cancel out the shop manual instructions.

I'm not a full time mechanic, and though I have some fairly skilled help, I want to keep this as simple as possible (which is what I mistakenly thought I was doing by searching out a German carb).
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wrong Distributor? Reply with quote

FlyAU98 wrote:
Unfortunately or not, most of the miles on my Beetle are on the Interstate...so having what little horsepower the engine can make is of some importance.

I think the biggest concern I have though is Frankensteing the motor together and not being able to tune it right without having a series of notes attached to cancel out the shop manual instructions.

Here is what you appear to have:
    AE case and intake suggests you have a 1600DP engine. These only ever came with the larger 34Pict carbs (or FI).

Empi 34Pict-3 aftermarket carb. While Empis are probably not the most reliable carb, if it is working well you can continue to run it. These carbs produce a ported vacuum advance signal proper for an SVDA or DVDA distributor.

SVA (large can vacuum-only) distributor. These were never meant to be paired with the later 34Pict carbs. They are a good match for a 28~31Pict carb which used venturi vacuum for the vacuum advance. Your 34Pict does not have a venturi vacuum port to match this distributor. Connecting this to the 34Pict's ported vacuum means it is either at zero advance or at full advance... nothing in between. These distributors reach max advance at around 5in-Hg. The 34Pict produces up to 20in-Hg of vacuum as soon as the throttle is opened!

Since you do a lot of freeway driving you probably want to keep the 34Pict carb which is better sized for running the 1600DP at high rpms. So my suggestion would be to swap the distributor you have installed for a SVDA distributor. The SVDA shoudl actually improve your fuel economy at higher cruise rpms as the ported vacuum will increase timing while in cruise. Either a used/rebuilt VW/Bosch SVDA distributor (best option; expensive)... or an aftermarket SVDA distributor (less reliable; less expensive).

Here are some links for you to look at:
OE SVDA distributors:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2345269
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2457450

Aftermarket SVDA distributors:
https://www.jbugs.com/product/186504.html
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-d186504/make/volkswagen/model/beetle/year/1974
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D043%2D905%2D205

I'm not recommending any of the above links over another. They are just the first links that showed up when I went looking. I would recommend the quality of a rebuilt Germany distributor over any new aftermarket distributor, but I can understand folks choosing to gamble on the cheaper aftermarket parts. If I were buying the aftermarket distributor I would look at the Pertronix SVDA with Ignitor electronic ignition. It is probably the most consistent aftermarket SVDA you will find.

When you have a properly matched carb + distributor in good working order you will be happy with the smooth engine performance. A stock 1600DP engine will never feel like a 2.0L engine, but smooth acceleration should not be out of reach.

If you have a stockish 1600DP engine + 34Pict carb + SVDA (205/034) distributor you should be able to tune your engine the same as a 1974 US 48-state manual transmission car. This model year+transmission came with this combo.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
FlyAU98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Wrong Distributor? Reply with quote

Thanks.

I'm not against spending the money to get the right parts to make it run as well as it can. I drive the car a few times a week and want to be able to enjoy it, with minimum hassle.
tasb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong Distributor? Reply with quote

With the added information about your driving habits I would agree with Ashman40, 100%. I have successfully run 30 PICT carbs on 1600 dual ports but you do loose a bit of top end speed. Smooth reliable performance has always trumped top end speed for me- it's a VW in it's original form.

Last edited by tasb on Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong Distributor? Reply with quote

Work with Tim on getting the correct carburetor. Then you can play around with the distributor.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
FlyAU98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong Distributor? Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Work with Tim on getting the correct carburetor. Then you can play around with the distributor.

I have the correct carburetor now...its just an EMPI... Right?

Tim is behind on German 34 PICT 3s right now, so I suspect that part is on hold...ideally I can find a proper distributor before then.

Reading about the pitfalls of a mismatched carb/dist, I think that my existing 34 PICT 3 EMPI carb is likely functioning ok. That ok may not be as good as a refurbed German 34 PICT 3, but I kinda thought that fixing the known incorrect thing first might be the better way to go?
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong Distributor? Reply with quote

I agree with you there, getting the correct distributor is likely the quickest way to happiness, smooth running and the best power. You can get a cheap SVDA from California imports or similar and be going well for probably under $100. Problem is that it will be a cheap chinese made copy and no guarantees it won't need a bit of tweaking or cleaning or what have you. Better is Pertronix I am told, but still not great.

Your best bet is to find an original german Bosch ditributor and have it rebuilt by Tim or one of the other similar services offered here. Keep the Empi carb for now and see what happens. As for fiddling with the carb, I get the impression your engine is pretty much stock, so you should be able to just put in the stock jets, maybe a bit richer on the main, and be close enough now. You can alsways do a fine tune later.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: