Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drop Spindes HELP
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeremPeya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:11 am    Post subject: Drop Spindes HELP Reply with quote

I recently did a disc brake conversion (front and back) on my 65' but there is a problem. My mechanic ordered the wrong kit and got the ones with the drop spindles! When installed the car dropped like BAM! (which should be expected with drop spindles). My car was already slightly lowered from the beams so that made the situation even worse. In order to compensate for that, we changed the beam to an adjustable beam (not narrowed), which helped but not enough. Now I am running 175/60 R15s up front and 185/65 R15's on the rears (compared to 165/80 R15's overall) which also give the car a rake that I don't like. The rears don't really bug me *no pun intended* Laughing but the fronts are tiny! With the port-a-walls, they look even smaller! Also, I am not liking the ride disadvantages with the small tires and lower ride height.

One other problem I have is that I live in Turkey. Importing parts take a long long time and a load of money. My mechanic suggested, as a solution, to take the spindles to a machining shop and have them converted to a normal ride height spindle. This won't be done on my car, it is an experiment that will be done on other disc brake drop spindles which won't affect me so I won't be spindelless Smile. Is this a good idea? Also, I have been on the internet searching for normal disc brake spindles but there are none! Nobody sells them alone and the ones that I found don't fit the 65' model year.

What do you think I should do to return my car to its stock ride height and have taller tires? Are there any possible solutions that you know? I would also love it if you could suggest anyone who sells normal spindles for disc brake conversions that fit 65'.

Here are the photos:

Before:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After:

66' Karmann Ghia in the works
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Drop Spindes HELP Reply with quote

Umm, the mechanic ordered the wrong kit, this is on them to make it right.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Drop Spindes HELP Reply with quote

I think your bug looks great in both before & after pics! Smile
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KeremPeya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Drop Spindes HELP Reply with quote

sportin-wood wrote:
I think your bug looks great in both before & after pics! Smile

Thank you so much! Very Happy
66' Karmann Ghia in the works
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: