Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

Need to figure fuel amount in tanks , guages are nowhere near accurate. Other than pulling sender on 71 std. bug, any tricks to measure it ? How about on a 66 bus?
I would be happy to determine the level in these (installed) tanks and seeking a way. I somehow recall a method with hot water on the tank exterior ?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

Fix it, keep a log of miles since last fill up, or carry extra fuel.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

Weigh it... a gallon is about 8 pounds.😉
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

Gauge calibration:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stick:

Mileage counter:
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

Pull the line off the bottom of the tank and drain it out. Check the filter sock and change the fuel line while you’re at it and it’s easy to get at. Then fill a few Jerry cans, checking the gauge after every couple gallons you add. Make note of where the needle sits after every can of gas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

Sounds right, or maybe fill to full ,siphon half, and know where 1/2 sits on guage, or1/4.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

On a 57 I owned I just used a stick with my own markings for full/1/2 etc. Nothing too fancy. No gas gauge on those old ones, but did have a reserve tank.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
keep a log of miles since last fill up

Been using the PO's logbook since I got the '59. One of the benefits is that you can figure mpg out, and when it drops might be time for a tune up.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

Drive it until the IFuelGauge App bleats that you need fuel. Available for Android, Google, and OilOs
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

Get a a few feet if clear aquarium hose. Put one end in the tank, pull a siphon and see where the fluid level is at the other end of the hose--that will match the level of fuel in the tank.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

I JUST FUEL IT UP when I figure it needs it...200 miles or so it should need fuel. Wink it's not rocket sciance....or every 2 weeks if that is how much Ive determaned =7 gallons of the same old routine...or once a week for when the routine changes...like summer time and lots of more driving.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

Before I upgraded my '67 to an electric gauge from a Ghia (or found the instructions posted above), I used to just rock the car at stoplights. If I heard sloshing, then I know I had a gallon or more left. If not, head for the first gas station I find.

Looking back, it probably looked pretty "odd" from other drivers' point of view...

Last edited by KTPhil on Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

dont rock the juke box..did your raidieieio go quiet Shocked Wink ?.
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

I ran out of gas once and I made note of where the needle pointed when the engine quit. Now I just use that as my "totally empty" level. I make sure to refuel before reaching that point.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
I ran out of gas once and I made note of where the needle pointed when the engine quit. Now I just use that as my "totally empty" level. I make sure to refuel before reaching that point.

Yes, that is the idea behind VW/s calibration process above. It assures you KNOW you have a certain amount left when the gauge hits "R".

Of course the car has to be perfectly level, or no mechanical gauge will be accurate.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

The wooden “dip stick” measuring method was fairly common in much older / basic cars.

The really early Beetles had a “reserve” fuel switch/lever on the front floor wall, near center of car. When driving w/ low fuel and engine began sputtering (due to fuel starvation), you reached toe of your shoe over and moved it to the “reserve” position, giving another 10-20 miles or so of range to get to next gas station.

Then you forgot to move that switch back from the “reserve” setting after filling up, and ran the car completely out of gas the next time around... Smile

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

Heh, if you're unlucky enough to get to the sputtering point at a stop light or drive through and don't kick that lever fast enough, the engine may still die, then you have to crank and crank until more fuel gets pumped into the carb! Happened to me a couple times.

Also, the original reserve lever started leaking on my old '60 beetle so I replaced it. It took a couple times running all the way out to figure out it was built bass-ackwards so the tank/reserve positions were reversed!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

Keep a log. My general rule in the buses is to add fuel every 150 miles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Measuring fuel without guage, how to do?? On late bug and early Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
I somehow recall a method with hot water on the tank exterior ?

This works for propane tanks, but it is less likely on a funky-shaped gas tank like ours.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: