Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilt My Beetle's Vent Window Assemblies
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joaniebo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Rebuilt My Beetle's Vent Window Assemblies Reply with quote

Decided to take the plunge and rebuilt my 68 Beetle's vent window assemblies after getting the parts rechromed, repainted and assembled with Wolfsburg West seals and rivets. Photos taken prior to riveting the hinges.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by joaniebo on Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Re uilt My Beetle's Vent Window Assemblies Reply with quote

Those are beautiful! This is something I very much want to do for my '74 SB. I know Wolfsburg West was selling replacement units for -'64 models, but not for later models. These are the things some VW owners do that makes their cars very special.

How did you remove and reinstall the glass? Did you buy new latches?
joaniebo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Re uilt My Beetle's Vent Window Assemblies Reply with quote

I used a utility knife to cut out the old seals around the glass and then carefully eased the glass out so it wouldn't break.

All the seals were from Wolfsburg West as were the new latches, rivets, etc. The chrome pieces were all professionally done to showroom quality by Precision Plating located in Quincy, IL.

Hobby Lobby sells some adhesive backed(on one side) foam called "Silly Winks) that I stuck around the window glass and then slid into the rechromed window frame, using small pieces of the WW vent seal to keep the glass centered.

At the end of the seal and glass, I then added a drop of "Stormsure Flexible Repair Adhesive" to securely hold the glass in place and to seal the edges of the glass and foam.

Here's what the adhesive foam looked like when atteached to the glass and before sliding it into the chrome frame.
finefettle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Re uilt My Beetle's Vent Window Assemblies Reply with quote

Well done. Extreamly well done.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Re uilt My Beetle's Vent Window Assemblies Reply with quote

Thank you for posting this information! It will be so helpful when I'm ready to restore mine. I'm so impressed with yours that I'm inspired to make it happen.
blatzer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Re uilt My Beetle's Vent Window Assemblies Reply with quote

i used the w w rubber to replace mine and here's what i got- crappy gap

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Re uilt My Beetle's Vent Window Assemblies Reply with quote

Mind sharing the cost of re-chroming?
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joaniebo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Re uilt My Beetle's Vent Window Assemblies Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Mind sharing the cost of re-chroming?

I believe it was $330 for the two straight channel bars, window frames and rain channels (6 pieces). Showroom quality chrome!.

I've used this company before in rechroming parts for my 1968 MGB. In addition, I called 2 or 3 other recommended companies and their quotes (for showroom quality) were almost double.

Bob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: