Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

Cheaper tubing will be seam welded, which is fine for your application. Better quality tubing would be drawn over mandrel or DOM.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

if youre looking to save a few bucks on the coolant plumbing, wonder how the cost would compare to running the whole length with some marine hose?

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
... running the whole length with some marine hose?

Perhaps more significantly, hose would greatly simplify the larger challenge of matching all the intricate bends and angles required to ensure that Point A eventually connects to Point B.

As mentioned, replicating the custom bends on brake lines is challenging enough—I would not want to do so with 1.5" SS tubing unless I had the skills and tooling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

We have the tools to bend and weld tubing, but I still got my tubes from Bus Depot. My experience is that when someone has done the development, the time savings is well worth it.

I know a few members have gone the marine hose route. The trick would be supporting it, since it would have a tendency to droop with it's own weight plus the weight of the coolant.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

https://www.overtons.com/shields-shieldsflex-ii-1-12-waterexhaust-hose-with-wire-25l-325534.html

At $200 for 25' I guess you can save $125. Temp rating looks perfect. I don't see anything about pressure rating for this product, but other wet/exhaust hose I found is rated for 42-87psi, so it's probably exceeding needed spec. I just measured and 22' is probably enough for the 2 runs so you'd have a bit left over for shorter connections.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

i would look for one without wire, that stuff is really really tough to work with when it has the support wire

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

But support wire really boosts the appeal of things.
Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

I thought about running hose the entire length but this is a cooling system, right? I was thinking metal tube would add some cooling capacity I'd like to have. Maybe throw some big heat sinks ofn there also.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

The stock vanagon cooling system is more than adequate. I don't think you need to get carried away improving on it.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

Thoragaverung wrote:
I was thinking metal tube would add some cooling capacity I'd like to have. Maybe throw some big heat sinks ofn there also.

100% not necessary

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

Thoragaverung wrote:
I was thinking metal tube would add some cooling capacity I'd like to have.

It definitely does add cooling capacity and it is definitely not needed. My radiator stays cool to the touch most of the time. 85F. That is not an overtaxed cooling system. The cooling issues the vanagon has are not related to the size of the radiator/cooling capacity.
Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

Important point: Putting a Subaru engine in there next summer (assumes I buy this blessed car this summer). this is the summer I rehab and prepare the chassis.

Additional cooling capacity: needed.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

You’d actually need to calculate BTUs to determine the cooling requirements, but there are 6 cylinder Subaru and turbo 1.8s happy behind the stock cooling system. Colder is also not always better.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

Thoragaverung wrote:

Additional cooling capacity: needed.

youd definitely be the first!

Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

VW 80 HP engine - 3392 BTUs/minute
Subaru 170 HP engine 7208 BTUs/minute
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

Your probably right. 4 gallons of circulating coolant likely won’t be enough for that 170 HP. Wink
Thoragaverung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

LOL
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hard brake line replacement: what size line and fittings? Reply with quote

In regards to using marine rubber hose in lieu of the stainless pipes, this is the product I used for my aircooled to watercooled swap. Was about $200 shipped to my door for a 50 foot section. Easy to work with, nice quality, I am very happy with the results.

Gates Green Stripe Heater Hose, product # 28445

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-power/engine-hos...04411.html
2000 BMW Z3 roadster
-Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: