Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upgrading type 4 alternator-70 to 100 amps
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pauger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Upgrading type 4 alternator-70 to 100 amps Reply with quote

Has anyone found a source for upgrading a type 4 alternator 70 amps Bosch AL108X 0-120-450-002 to a minimum 100 amps. I read some where and I can not find it again that there was a shop in the L.A. ares which did this by replacing the stator in the Bosch AL108X 0-120-450-002 with one from a Mercedes Benz Bosch alternator to achieve these results. I need the extra amperage to run an electric AC compressor for the car (912E). I’d appreciate hearing from anyone with information that may help!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading type 4 alternator-70 to 100 amps Reply with quote

Pauger wrote:
Has anyone found a source for upgrading a type 4 alternator 70 amps Bosch AL108X 0-120-450-002 to a minimum 100 amps. I read some where and I can not find it again that there was a shop in the L.A. ares which did this by replacing the stator in the Bosch AL108X 0-120-450-002 with one from a Mercedes Benz Bosch alternator to achieve these results. I need the extra amperage to run an electric AC compressor for the car (912E). I’d appreciate hearing from anyone with information that may help!

Take a look at this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388028

This is also good information for the 10SI and 12SI

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml

The Delco CS130 is what I have been thinking of using. It should not be a difficult fit. Its is 105 amp.

They make them up to 200 amp....but I do not know about the form factor and fit for those above 105 amp

https://alternatorparts.com/cs130-cs130d-series-alternators.html

Just a question.....but have you REALLY done the math on this? An AC compressor ...even in its most efficient modern form (a variable stroke, electronically controlled swashplate unit)....is about 3hp of load when running on max cool at highway speed....thats about 230 amps at 12 volts.....minimum. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: