Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is This Really Happening In Europe?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

I'd give it 5-10 years before driving an old vw will become impossible here in Ireland. Our current minister for transport is a green and wants 1 car to serve 10 households.

As always Irish government ministers like to be best boys and girls in class when it comes to stuff like this, where they claim we can set great examples for the rest of the world to follow.

Time to thin out the fleet for me.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

The environmental cost of building a new car far outweighs the meager resources needed to keep an older car on the road. This is just woke ignorance.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:
Our current minister for transport is a green and wants 1 car to serve 10 households.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

Better to start with a bus if that's how it'll play out Laughing

This guy is a dangerous fool, somehow he's in charge of transport here.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&...mp;ampcf=1

This is the guy

https://twitter.com/i/status/1144974805768331264
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

Glad all the idiots arent in the usa, lol
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

While for the most part I agree with you fellows, there are a few things I would put on the "You will not drive your vintage vehicle (or any vehicle) on public roads if..."

-Heating and defrost system disabled or missing. (this could be subject to a summer use only clause)

-Wipers/washer disabled or missing.

-Extreme lowering and/or roof line reduction of the vehicle (ability to see other traffic impeded)

-Extreme raising of vehicle (no frames/bumpers/bush guards at the window height of the average vehicle)

-Extreme wheel offset and or wheel alignment angles.

-upgraded (more power) power trains must be accompanied by an appropriately up graded braking system.

Those come to mind as safety concerns off the top of my head.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
While for the most part I agree with you fellows, there are a few things I would put on the "You will not drive your vintage vehicle (or any vehicle) on public roads if..."

-Heating and defrost system disabled or missing. (this could be subject to a summer use only clause)

-Wipers/washer disabled or missing.

-Extreme lowering and/or roof line reduction of the vehicle (ability to see other traffic impeded)

-Extreme raising of vehicle (no frames/bumpers/bush guards at the window height of the average vehicle)

-Extreme wheel offset and or wheel alignment angles.

-upgraded (more power) power trains must be accompanied by an appropriately up graded braking system.

Those come to mind as safety concerns off the top of my head.

Now this I can agree with.

But this thread started with a guy worried his vintage car would be taken off the road because it wasn't "factory" because he actually made it more modern.

Mods are one thing, EXTREME mods are something completely different.

There has to be some common sense used. Unfortunately many legislatures lack this attribute.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

If this is true, we lose the essence of modifying our beloved cars. I for one am a purist, but love to see slammed cars on earlies. That's one of our freedoms, we get to drive what we want. The fact a car is customized, doesn't necessarily mean it is unsafe. The law has to be more clear as to what is considered unsafe. ALL the laws are there, and if your car fits within those parameters, go ahead, build away. But don't take away customization! This is why hot rods, buggies, meyers manx and so on exist!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

like most 'good ideas' car sharing sounds great until you factor in realistic human behaviour. after all it seems we can't even share bicycles...
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/graveyard-bikes-chinas-failed-share-042524703.html

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

Dropping a cinder block in front of a lowered car on the Freeway is one of the great pleasures in life
nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Dropping a cinder block in front of a lowered car on the Freeway is one of the great pleasures in life

Eh?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

WTF? Shocked
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

The legislation is written by people that couldn't tell a carburetor from a valve cover.

You misspelled ass from a hole in the wall.... Wink Wink
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

As much as I like cars ( owning them, working on them, etc.) I have always known that driving is nothing more than a privilege provided by the state. It may take a while longer but the end of many parts of this hobby is in sight.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I have always known that driving is nothing more than a privilege provided by the state.

Not all would agree with this position. While the state has the ability to regulate many aspects of our lives, including our transportation choices, the free movement on public land is a right, not a privilege. The argument is over the point regulation becomes prohibition, and the latter is not the state's right to make.
nicholastanguma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:
I have always known that driving is nothing more than a privilege provided by the state.

Not all would agree with this position. While the state has the ability to regulate many aspects of our lives, including our transportation choices, the free movement on public land is a right, not a privilege. The argument is over the point regulation becomes prohibition, and the latter is not the state's right to make.

Don't run for office, you're probably not corrupt enough to win.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

Almost all roads have time, place, and manner restrictions ( no walking along side interstates, no hitch hiking, etc.etc.). The amount of law concerning access to public space is tremendous ( starting with the Cumberland gap road in the early 1800's), it consistently defines driving (per se) as a privilege. Pure ownership w/o driving rights will be in place ( many Japanese collectors have cars just as show pieces in upper end homes- I was involved in that market 30 years ago) long after the ability to street them.

Even the adoption of E-vehicles has rapidly brought on new fees/taxation schemes since the states will loose gasoline tax revenue. That burden will be assessed to all vehicles regardless of propulsion. The EU adjustments are just movement to these inevitable trends. I'm sure the horse and buggy crowd fought and complained like hell as they were forced off the roads. Enjoy the hobby now and prepare for change.

I'm not running for any public office, ever.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Almost all roads have time, place, and manner restrictions ( no walking along side interstates, no hitch hiking, etc.etc.). The amount of law concerning access to public space is tremendous ( starting with the Cumberland gap road in the early 1800's), it consistently defines driving (per se) as a privilege. Pure ownership w/o driving rights will be in place ( many Japanese collectors have cars just as show pieces in upper end homes- I was involved in that market 30 years ago) long after the ability to street them.

Even the adoption of E-vehicles has rapidly brought on new fees/taxation schemes since the states will loose gasoline tax revenue. That burden will be assessed to all vehicles regardless of propulsion. The EU adjustments are just movement to these inevitable trends. I'm sure the horse and buggy crowd fought and complained like hell as they were forced off the roads. Enjoy the hobby now and prepare for change.

I'm not running for any public office, ever.

I have had this nightmare daydream for a while now.....that automotive life will get to be a combination of f*ked in several ways......like gasoline will become passé/illegal/out of production except small quantities and I have to buy small amounts on the black market. And....gas powered cars will not be allowed on public roads anymore. And...I get too old to be allowed to drive my classic VW anyway.......

.....so thinking of buying something like a meager three acres or so on the edge of town (thats a little more than a 360' x 360' square). Put a fence up around it. Pave a circle track about 350 feet in diameter with a crossover and a garage through the center.

Come out two days a week and throw in 2.5 gallons of illegal fuel....and drive my unlicensed ass around in a circle with the stereo jamming....not fast....but it may be all we have left at some point in time.
Wink Laughing
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

The imminent taxation of EV on per mile basis is one of the strong dampers to EV growth, once people suddenly lose the economic fuel advantage of their tinker toy , the market will stutter

Ice won’t go away in our lifetime, Ray, but I’ll buy some time on your track as Plan E(v)
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Really Happening In Europe? Reply with quote

roll up! roll up! enjoy the thrills of classic motoring - with engine and gear sounds!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: