Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to go from here
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72s_and_brews
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Where to go from here Reply with quote

Hello fellow VW enthusiast. First post and newish to the VW world. I bought a 72 Type 3 automatic from a guy back in East Tn about 8 years ago and drove the car for awhile until the engine blew. Had the engine rebuilt and then it sat for 2 years while I was gone to Japan. Upon return I decided I wanted to do a complete resto and began taking apart the car. The pain job was shotty and as we have peeled back the layers of my bright yellow onion we have stumbled across some spots in the body that have caused concerns. I’m seeking any and all advice as to where to go from here. My friend thinks having a body shop fix the deep rusted out spots will cost a fortune and wants to look for a another fastback to cut the pieces or of. My biggest concern is if it’s worth continuing to move forward or just cut losses and part out the car. Another issue is the auto trans is having problems and 2nd gear is gone. I’ve heard auto trans parts and replacements are like unicorns. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Pics of ol betsy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to go from here Reply with quote

Your Fasty looks as solid as most of them. I would have it soda blasted to get rid of the yellow paint and fab/weld in repair pieces where needed. Treat all the bare metal with phosphoric acid solution to stop the bare metal from rusting. Rebuild kits are available for the 003 automatic transmission.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to go from here Reply with quote

It looks solid most places but that death foam rot looks really severe
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to go from here Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
It looks solid most places but that death foam rot looks really severe

Agreed. That VW foam strikes again. Only real solution is to cut it out and replace the rotted metal. It's a common thing on late bugs, and type 3s. I cut the roof off a 71 Square because of that foam.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to go from here Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Your Fasty looks as solid as most of them. I would have it soda blasted to get rid of the yellow paint and fab/weld in repair pieces where needed. Treat all the bare metal with phosphoric acid solution to stop the bare metal from rusting. Rebuild kits are available for the 003 automatic transmission.

what he said

and regarding the auto trans, with a bit of cutting, i think you can also make it a manual, some topics about that on this forum
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to go from here Reply with quote

andybla wrote:

and regarding the auto trans, with a bit of cutting, i think you can also make it a manual, some topics about that on this forum

Or pull it and take it to a trans shop for rebuilding. It is a Borg and Warner unit, which means a good rebuilder should be able to fix it without any trouble. Rebuild kits are available if you feel confident in doing it yourself.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to go from here Reply with quote

They all have rust now.
You won't save much by getting a different shell.

The days when you could just go and pick up a clean shell from somewhere are gone.
I remember those days well, and sure do miss them...

You need to get all of that yellow and all of the goo under it out of the way.
Have the whole shell dipped, or maybe have one of those mobile wet-blast rigs come by and do their thing.
I wasted a year of my life hand-stripping and blasting with a home-user type of rig.
Never again.

What’s That Noise?!?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to go from here Reply with quote

72s_and_brews wrote:
My biggest concern is if it’s worth continuing to move forward or just cut losses and part out the car

This is what i read. If you expect to have it worth more than what you put into it or even break even at the end - than no, is not worth it. That year, body will never be worth much. Just the cards its been dealt. This is all monetary of course.

If you want to have happiness, anger, pride and sadness all at once. Go for it. You will have an event in your life you wont forget. Wink Laughing Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to go from here Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
72s_and_brews wrote:
My biggest concern is if it’s worth continuing to move forward or just cut losses and part out the car

This is what i read. If you expect to have it worth more than what you put into it or even break even at the end - than no, is not worth it. That year, body will never be worth much. Just the cards its been dealt. This is all monetary of course.

If you want to have happiness, anger, pride and sadness all at once. Go for it. You will have an event in your life you wont forget. Wink Laughing Cool

^^Truer words were never before spoken^^

If a '72 auto Fastback is THAT car for you then go for it.

Would you rather have a '46 Packard or '68 Mustang Mach1 or something?
Then you should probably do one of those..
"always start out with the car you really want" if you're going all the way.

Love my fastback, and wouldn't trade it for a 356, 911, or Hemi 'Cuda.. Wink

So you have to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze,
As a Fastback will cost nearly as much as any other car to restore in parts,
And perhaps the same or even more in the time required.
Many (All? Smile ) other cars will likely provide a better return on your investment.
They are probably the biggest time/money suck of any vintage car resto on earth.
Certainly the worst return of any aircooled VW..

What’s That Noise?!?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Where to go from here Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
notchboy wrote:
72s_and_brews wrote:

^^Truer words were never before spoken^^

If a '72 auto Fastback is THAT car for you then go for it.

Would you rather have a '46 Packard or '68 Mustang Mach1 or something?
Then you should probably do one of those..
"always start out with the car you really want" if you're going all the way.

Love my fastback, and wouldn't trade it for a 356, 911, or Hemi 'Cuda.. Wink

So you have to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze,
As a Fastback will cost nearly as much as any other car to restore in parts,
And perhaps the same or even more in the time required.
Many (All? Smile ) other cars will likely provide a better return on your investment.
They are probably the biggest time/money suck of any vintage car resto on earth.
Certainly the worst return of any aircooled VW..

Agreed. Start with the car you really want. Keep in mind that you'll probably lose money on the project, as people tend to think of these as "cheap" cars. That is until you restore one. Surprised
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: