Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing..
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DevinHite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing.. Reply with quote

So I rebuilt a motor, test spun it yesterday and many times before before putting the motor in to the beetle. After we got the motor in, the motor just won’t spin, at all! I had 3 people yesterday helping me and we all test spun it beforehand. We wanted to make sure.

I dropped the motor today, thinking maybe the transmission was bad, but everything is fine with that.

I’ve tried to hand spin it, use a screw driver and a hammer. Everything!

Someone give me some insight what would have caused this.

I mean IT IS NOT MOVING!!

Any help would be amazing! A check list or something where to start
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DevinHite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing.. Reply with quote

Update: I pulled the pressure plate, clutch and flywheel.

When I pulled the flywheel it spun freely. I then realized when I tightened it down It would be too tight to spin.

Now my next question is, if I put too many shims (2 in there now) will it keep the flywheel too tight? There isn’t a lot of end play now, are shims necessary if the end play is very minor?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing.. Reply with quote

You need 3 shims.

Sounds like you did not set your end play up correctly.

End play spec is .003" - .005", wear limit is .006"

Shims come in varying thicknesses. Bentley book has the formula for how to determine your shim thicknesses to get end play correct.
DevinHite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing.. Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
You need 3 shims.

Sounds like you did not set your end play up correctly.

End play spec is .003" - .005", wear limit is .006"

Shims come in varying thicknesses. Bentley book has the formula for how to determine your shim thicknesses to get end play correct.

That’s the issue I think. When I would tighten to torque specs it wouldn’t even budge and idk if it was maybe caused by it getting too tight on the shims
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing.. Reply with quote

The fact that you haven't yet told us what your end play measurement was leads me to believe that you didn't measure it.

That's kind of critical, so you will need to ensure that you measure it and set it up properly.

Get yourself a set of shims of various thicknesses from a VW supplier, then mic them so you know their actual thickness (sometimes the actual thickness will vary quite a bit from the number stamped on the shim).

Then follow the procedure in Bentley for setting end play.
DevinHite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing.. Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
The fact that you haven't yet told us what your end play measurement was leads me to believe that you didn't measure it.

That's kind of critical, so you will need to ensure that you measure it and set it up properly.

Get yourself a set of shims of various thicknesses from a VW supplier, then mic them so you know their actual thickness (sometimes the actual thickness will vary quite a bit from the number stamped on the shim).

Then follow the procedure in Bentley for setting end play.

That is my plan today. There’s a place near me that has parts so I’m planning to pick them up after work. 👍
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing.. Reply with quote

If you cannot obtain enough (and correct) end play with even the three thinnest shims, a machine shop can machine a little off your flywheel snout to allow that.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing.. Reply with quote

You need to get your end play sorted. the correct thrust lip thickness, with the correct saddle thickness, with the correct shims in place.

The solution depends on your budget. If time and money allow you to, I'd reopen the case and have the thrust checked by a competent VW machinist.

If you can't afford it, what I will suggest will cause severe itching in professional engine builders and experienced mechanics, which I understand and agree with!!! Please don't kill me. I'm just handing a suggetion based on the chance of short budget, low resource rebuild....

If things get tight when you torque your flywheel, somethings bigger than it should, and it for sure will be the N°1 bearing thrust flange (flywheel side flange of the bearing). You need to measure very well everything so you can tell how thicker is your N°1 bearing thrust lip. Please use an instrument capable of a reading down to 0,01 mm or its inch equivalent. Then get a glass bigger than the bearing and a very fine grit sand paper and VERY VERY lightly sand the flywheel side of it. It should be just a tiny bit for recovering the space for your shims + spec end play.

Measurements suggestion: Install the flywheel with no shims. Measure end play. Now substract from that number the spec end play you have as a goal. This result will be the thickness you need to achieve with the shims.

Disclaimer: This is what I would do if in a tight budget, with limited resources and no chance to go to a shop for having things done correctly. If you over do it, you will ruin your bearing. If you don't sand it as lightly as you can, you run the risk of going out of the plane and producing a bearing that will not be parallel to the flywheel neck, having some secondary issues which I cant imagine... as vibration and clutch issues. If you go this way, lay the glass in a flat table and gently move the bearing in circular motion against the sand paper. I must emphasize VERY lightly.

The risk of going wrong is quite high if you are not very very careful. So think about it cold headed, balance your risks, and make your choice.

Do you have the right end play measurement instrument? if not, I would suggest to invest a bit in it. Your future projects will thank it.
DevinHite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing.. Reply with quote

leowagen wrote:
You need to get your end play sorted. the correct thrust lip thickness, with the correct saddle thickness, with the correct shims in place.

The solution depends on your budget. If time and money allow you to, I'd reopen the case and have the thrust checked by a competent VW machinist.

If you can't afford it, what I will suggest will cause severe itching in professional engine builders and experienced mechanics, which I understand and agree with!!! Please don't kill me. I'm just handing a suggetion based on the chance of short budget, low resource rebuild....

If things get tight when you torque your flywheel, somethings bigger than it should, and it for sure will be the N°1 bearing thrust flange (flywheel side flange of the bearing). You need to measure very well everything so you can tell how thicker is your N°1 bearing thrust lip. Please use an instrument capable of a reading down to 0,01 mm or its inch equivalent. Then get a glass bigger than the bearing and a very fine grit sand paper and VERY VERY lightly sand the flywheel side of it. It should be just a tiny bit for recovering the space for your shims + spec end play.

Measurements suggestion: Install the flywheel with no shims. Measure end play. Now substract from that number the spec end play you have as a goal. This result will be the thickness you need to achieve with the shims.

Disclaimer: This is what I would do if in a tight budget, with limited resources and no chance to go to a shop for having things done correctly. If you over do it, you will ruin your bearing. If you don't sand it as lightly as you can, you run the risk of going out of the plane and producing a bearing that will not be parallel to the flywheel neck, having some secondary issues which I cant imagine... as vibration and clutch issues. If you go this way, lay the glass in a flat table and gently move the bearing in circular motion against the sand paper. I must emphasize VERY lightly.

The risk of going wrong is quite high if you are not very very careful. So think about it cold headed, balance your risks, and make your choice.

Do you have the right end play measurement instrument? if not, I would suggest to invest a bit in it. Your future projects will thank it.

The new cam, crankshaft, and case was all from MOFOCO. The heads are big bore heads from jbugs, the flywheel was the stock flywheel that came off the original motor.

As for the motor, after I torqued everything (during the build, the flywheel to 270ft lbs, everything spun perfectly fine, I could do it by hand as it should on the engine stand. But once we got the motor in place on the transmission, I couldn’t budge it at all. Ended up taking the motor back out yesterday & tried to move it while it was on the ground, still couldn’t move it.. I then removed the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch plate, was able to spin freely from the pulley side. (As it should)

Once I put everything back on again, I couldn’t spin it, so for shits and giggles I removed one of the 3 flywheel shims and was able to spin it fine.

And I did just buy a dial indicator w/ magnetic stand. Will be here tomorrow.
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing.. Reply with quote

DevinHite wrote:
leowagen wrote:

The new cam, crankshaft, and case was all from MOFOCO. The heads are big bore heads from jbugs, the flywheel was the stock flywheel that came off the original motor.

As for the motor, after I torqued everything (during the build, the flywheel to 270ft lbs, everything spun perfectly fine, I could do it by hand as it should on the engine stand. But once we got the motor in place on the transmission, I couldn’t budge it at all. Ended up taking the motor back out yesterday & tried to move it while it was on the ground, still couldn’t move it.. I then removed the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch plate, was able to spin freely from the pulley side. (As it should)

Once I put everything back on again, I couldn’t spin it, so for shits and giggles I removed one of the 3 flywheel shims and was able to spin it fine.

And I did just buy a dial indicator w/ magnetic stand. Will be here tomorrow.

I'd try to go with thiner shims and using 3 as the manual says. I've read many things pointing in dofferent directions so far. 2 "mainstreams": one says you need 3 shims in order to guarantee the relative movement between them in the shim-oil-shim-oil "sandwich". The other one says if porsche runs only one in the 365, why can't we have less than 3 in ours? and my personal experience is that I found in mine as much as 6 when my beetle was new to me.... of course I had a lot of wear in my thrust bearing saddle. I personally prefer to go with 3 shims for more "bearing action" in the thrust side. Mostly thinking in the fact that the clutch makes pressure directly over the thrust area.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing.. Reply with quote

Yes, you MUST have at LEAST 3 shims.

sjbartnik wrote:
That's kind of extremely critical... Smile

It's water under the bridge, but most of this could've been mocked up and figured out on the bench.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing.. Reply with quote

The number shims used makes no difference at all. Remember, engines aren't smart, they don't know how many shims are in there. All you need to be concerned with is having the correct end play. I have used 2, 3 and 4 shims on engines before with no problem at all.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing.. Reply with quote

I don't think the amount of end-play is the only factor. Each shim provides one oil film between the #1 bearing and the flywheel. Three shims means four oil films. Two shims means only three films.

VW chose 3 shims. I wonder why.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing.. Reply with quote

Most probably that combining three shims covered every conceivable run out of the crankshaft to give the correct spec. Given the block and crankshaft would be manufactured to a tolerance range the final fitting would need to allow for all of these. VW did not want to have 20 different size shims due to the complexity of holding additional parts and part numbers plus the possibility of mixups when installing so they found that they could accomplish it with three only.

As far as I am concerned there is no reason that one shim machined correctly wouldn’t work! But this is totally impractical to do.

As far as using three shims? Only conceivable reason is that the wear on each of three shims would be less than in two so less likely to thin out one of the thinnest shims? But I think that’s probably not right. So long as the running clearance is correct for 2 or 1 or 3 shims I don’t think it matters. The argument of oil thickness layer on each face is of insignificant proportion in my opinion to make any substantial thickness issues.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing.. Reply with quote

Ray Greenwood does a great sermon on WHY there must be at least 3 shims, and I can't find it right now (nor can I recite it).
It's something about having a viscous "clutchy" component between the flywheel and thrust bearing; in theory, I think the shim adjacent the flywheel is sort of clinging to the flywheel, and the shim adjacent the thrust bearing is sort of clinging to the thrust bearing, and the middle shim (of the three) was sort-of the neutral element that provided viscous oil cushion between the other two parts (the remaining two shims).
Maybe Ray will come along and spice up this debate Smile
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing.. Reply with quote

As I said above... you can use as an example the 356 porsche with only one shim.... or go to my personal case when I got my beetle with 6 of them... What I read so far, is that 3 shims ensure the relative movement of the center shim in an oil-shim-oil sandwich. I'd try to go with what the workshop manual says, which is summarized in go with axial play as stated while having 3 shims.

In my opinion, more shims with a good axial play mean you're trying t live with an already out of spec engine, and less shims with good axial play, means you're really on the tight side of your build. I'd prefer to live with more shims rather than less. To be out of spec in the tight side I believe is tempting the destiny and risking to seize it when things heat up and expand, while being out of spec on the looser end means you know your engine is already worn and if treated nicely will last many months or years more; this way you know were you're standing....
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Newly rebuilt engine spun fine yesterday before installing.. Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
The number shims used makes no difference at all. Remember, engines aren't smart, they don't know how many shims are in there. All you need to be concerned with is having the correct end play. I have used 2, 3 and 4 shims on engines before with no problem at all.

I'm with Roy on this one.

I built a 2180 and the end play was achieved using two shims. The engine ran great.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: