Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Passenger Speaker Cover Ideas/Project
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Rear Passenger Speaker Cover Ideas/Project Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Working on another project to make the van look nicer in the back. When I bought the van, it looked like the previous owner tried to pimp it out with a new speaker system. Unfortunately, when doing that they screwed into the side to hold the speaker covers over the new speakers. It didn't really work and it looks terrible so I haven't had the plastic speaker covers over it since (see pictures).

I'm trying to brainstorm the cleanest way to fix these back up, but I'm low on ideas and looking for input.

1. try to get the original size speakers, reinstall them, then place the speaker covers back (I bought the tan ones awhile ago, would have to spray paint grey unless someone wants to trade etc). After this, try to cover up the screw holes that are left there.

2. Come up with a new idea to cover the current speakers. Maybe make a customer little wood grill sort of like old fender amps. The only thing is it's hard to determine how these things would hang on. The design is so strange on these..

Please send any ideas or tips! I'm sort of at a loss and this bugs me having the speakers out (looks terrible, I want a clean looking van!).

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

steve2sloth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Passenger Speaker Cover Ideas/Project Reply with quote

If it were mine, I'd 3d print a pair of speaker covers out of black plastic that could cover them and accommodate the lower lip. You'd need to position the screw holes exactly right to fit, but that's the beauty of modeling and printing yourself. I've used SketchUp (a free good modeling program) a few times and feel like this is a simple enough model that I could do it myself, or hit up my buddy who's busy but really good at this. GLHF
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Passenger Speaker Cover Ideas/Project Reply with quote

If you don't have 3D modeling skills or access to a 3D printer, another kind of "CAD" you can try is Cardboard Aided Design. Smile Start with tagboard and an iterative approach to get the required panel-matching curves right, and then use the result of that as a template. You could pretty easily make something out of wood for a mounting box/frame, and cover it with conventional speaker mesh of metal or cloth. Minwax Classic Gray wood stain even makes for a reasonably complementary match to the standard interior plastic and fabric colors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Passenger Speaker Cover Ideas/Project Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:
If you don't have 3D modeling skills or access to a 3D printer, another kind of "CAD" you can try is Cardboard Aided Design. Smile Start with tagboard and an iterative approach to get the required panel-matching curves right, and then use the result of that as a template. You could pretty easily make something out of wood for a mounting box/frame, and cover it with conventional speaker mesh of metal or cloth. Minwax Classic Gray wood stain even makes for a reasonably complementary match to the standard interior plastic and fabric colors.

Yea, this is what I'm leaning towards. The only thing is there is no great place for this to 'hook' on. It'll be me drilling into the car..
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Passenger Speaker Cover Ideas/Project Reply with quote

You can buy generic speaker covers.
https://www.amazon.com/BCP-Decorative-Subwoofer-Pr...amp;sr=8-9
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Passenger Speaker Cover Ideas/Project Reply with quote

@Ellioup, what @MrPullDown is linking to is exactly along the lines of what I was picturing on top of the custom-made wood box, except even better looking than I pictured (I like the finished ring, and how clean and simple it looks overall). They make fabric ones like that too. I'd go with metal though given the application (FWIW).

I think you could make something pretty nice w/that combination.

I like @steve2sloth's idea too though!

Regardless, would love to see what you come up with once you get it done. Hoping you share it with us. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bikes!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Passenger Speaker Cover Ideas/Project Reply with quote

An alternative method is to modify the new speakers to fit the stock VW frames. See my post in this thread for what worked for me: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9570531#9570531
No 3D printer needed, just hand tools and a will to use them.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Passenger Speaker Cover Ideas/Project Reply with quote

@bikes! If the speaker physically can fit, I think you have the winning approach. Nice addition that you've posted to that dash speaker thread -- thanks for sharing it!

This thread hear and the one on dash speakers are both reminding me how little I've explored (or even used) the sound system setups in our vans. I didn't even know that odd / ugly side panel cutout below the rear speakers was normal / stock!
Ellioup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Passenger Speaker Cover Ideas/Project Reply with quote

bikes! wrote:
An alternative method is to modify the new speakers to fit the stock VW frames. See my post in this thread for what worked for me: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9570531#9570531

Thanks!

This is what I was hoping to do, but the clips on the back of my speaker covers, don't seem to match the speakers that are in there.. How did you get them to clip in?
bikes!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Passenger Speaker Cover Ideas/Project Reply with quote

Ellioup wrote:
bikes! wrote:

Thanks!

This is what I was hoping to do, but the clips on the back of my speaker covers, don't seem to match the speakers that are in there.. How did you get them to clip in?

It sounds like you may not have the frames the factory speakers were mounted in. How are your current speakers attached to the trim panel? The stock speaker covers clip to the frame, not the speaker itself.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: