Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

I got caught in a fairly significant hail storm last Thursday night in my 2003 MV. Mostly marble to a few ping pong sized hail stones. I would call it light to moderate hail damage. I am concerned that the insurance company may total my MV, so I want to get some idea of what fair market value is.

My van has 104,200 miles on it the body is very clean paint is excellent for its age, everything works as it should. The transmission is solid. Air conditioning is ice cold, alternator is new, power steering pump is new, all fluids have just been flushed Including brake fluid And transmission with new filter. Tires are new Falken all terrain Trail with less than 1000 miles on them. New motor and transmission mounts. New serpentine belt and idler bearing/tensioner. Recent Bluetooth conversion to factory radio. New LED high and low beam headlights . All upholstery is excellent headliner is in very good excellent condition carpeting is excellent just needing a light shampooing. All Lynn it is in impressively clean van inside and out and it runs flawlessly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

They will pull comps in your area. Be ready to go back and forth.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

Shinola, you have been loving that one a lot lately.

25-30k for a no rusty one.

The mechanical and maintenance items don’t really matter, it’s hard to imagine repairs will approach the “ total “ value of roughly 75% FMV

Good luck, Brian. Let me know if I can snag any parts from the graveyard.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

The mechanical and maintenance items don’t really matter, it’s hard to imagine repairs will approach the “ total “ value of roughly 75% FMV

Abscate, this is an MV tin top. Zero body rust and excellent paint
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

I'd swag it at 10-15k. Still hard to imagine it would total
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

What is swag?
smores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

bcolins wrote:
Abscate wrote:

What is swag?

Sh!tty Wild A$$ Guess
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

That’s insulting.

It’s a scientific wild ass guess.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

These dents add character to your van , Take what they give you and go on vacation.If they total it they will sell it back to you cheaper.but...Its never worth more than half of appraisal next time something happens and it's totaled on the carfax report FOREVER.Which only matters if you sell it.Good luck either way Bill in PR (93 Ev) num 15 vw van for me
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

I’m not planning on fixing it but if they tell me the Van is only worth $5000 and they’re going to give $1500 for hail damage,.....I just want to be prepared with real world valuation numbers so I can argue with the adjuster if need be, and past experience shows me that there’s always a need to argue with the adjuster
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

Clean retail from NADA is $7000 with 106k

I doubt there is good basis for that number given the small number of data.

There isnt a single T4b (our generation) under 12,000 on cars.com in the US

You should be good up to $7000 or so in repairs.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Clean retail from NADA is $7000 with 106k

I doubt there is good basis for that number given the small number of data.

There isnt a single T4b (our generation) under 12,000 on cars.com in the US

You should be good up to $7000 or so in repairs.

First offer was $5640 from the insurance co. I have not been able to get it into my body shop of choice yet to get their opinion. Happily the adjuster that looked at it was aware that Eurovans in general are desirable and valuable van and told me that they did not only look at NADA but they looked at actual posted for sales in the country to get an idea of true market value. Kudos to them.
samba415
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

How committed are you to keeping it and driving it? Is now the time to walk away and collect some money? Or, if your prepared to fight for it…

Try to get the insurance company up in value…then find a top flight body shop.

After they total it… (If they total it)… ask what the cost is to buy it back from them after they total it. Nuts right? Let them cut you a check…then you buy your van back from them and fix whatever you want (hail “patina” or not). The downside is your van has a salvage or rebuilt title (depending on your state) which obviously impacts your resale later, but if your driving and enjoying…so what. Your adjusters and agents are instructed to be robots. Zero nuance.

The “damage” is neither structural or mechanical, and it appears by your activity here you’ve invested significant time, energy and money in it…why not get the insurance company to pay you to keep it?

Current: '04 Golf TDI, '03 Weekender
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Abscate, Any chance you have a fresh air intake grate for the hood and a pass sisde foglight for a 2003 MV?

Brian
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

I have not yet made the graveyard trip but will do in may
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I have not yet made the graveyard trip but will do in may

Thanks.
Brian
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

Any pictures of how bad this looks?
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

Whridlsoncestood wrote:
Any pictures of how bad this looks?

about 90 % of the damage is on the roof. the rest on the hood and left front fender, but not very noticeable due to the angle of the hood and the angle that the hail came from.
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

Sucks. Do you plan to have the body work done or just try to get a check from the insurance company and use the money on other van upgrades instead of cosmetics?
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hail damage! What is market value of my MV if insurance totals? Reply with quote

Whridlsoncestood wrote:
Sucks. Do you plan to have the body work done or just try to get a check from the insurance company and use the money on other van upgrades instead of cosmetics?

just replacing the fresh air intake grill,...if I can find one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: