Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Registering a street legal sand rail in Virginia
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patty60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Registering a street legal sand rail in Virginia Reply with quote

I live in Virginia and I'm wanting to build a street legal sand rail. Can anyone tell what it takes to make one street legal and titled in Virginia? I tried talking to the DMV here and they're basically telling me that I'd have to build it first then they'd let me know if it's ok.
Thanks for any information
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Registering a street legal sand rail in Virginia Reply with quote

does VA have a vehicle inspection annually? If so, find a licensed inspector and make friends, pay him, offer to barter/trade goods/services/labor to have him shepherd you through the inspection. I’m in PA and it took me two years to shove mine down their throats.
It may seem easier to try to take shortcuts where possible, but that is a strategy they will us to roadblock you. The first time they catch you taking a shortcut, they will intensify the scrutiny on everything else. The better route is to get it through perfectly legally first, then, after the spotlights are off and you have all your documents in hand, make your minor modifications to get rid of their unwanted bs.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Registering a street legal sand rail in Virginia Reply with quote

Best information is probably here....

https://www.semasan.com/resources/titling-registration

Subsection...

https://www.semasan.com/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_VA.pdf

And be very careful what you try too title it as....

Terms like "rail" and "dune buggy" are probable bad, terms like "custom fabrication" or "special construction" are probable good...

Most state licensing and inspection entities have a lot different description on what a custom build may be, and the don't often include the street terms as "sand rail" "woods buggy"....

And you have to know more about registration process the drone behind the counter you are dealing with.....And don't volunteer to much information it only confuses them...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Registering a street legal sand rail in Virginia Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

And be very careful what you try too title it as....

Terms like "rail" and "dune buggy" are probable bad, terms like "custom fabrication" or "special construction" are probable good...

Most state licensing and inspection entities have a lot different description on what a custom build may be, and the don't often include the street terms as "sand rail" "woods buggy"....Dale

Those are facts! The easiest part was the physical inspection. The two inspectors just walked around it saying stuff like neat or cool. Then they signed off on it!

Inside was a different story. They kept asking me what brand it was. I kept telling them that I didn't know. Finally, I said "Look. I bought it as a half completed frame with nothing attached. Even then, I had to reconstruct the part that was together". Voila! Just like that, it became a "Reconstruction". The neat part is that there weren't enough spaces for all of the letters so the computer shortened it to "Recon".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
don1357
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Registering a street legal sand rail in Virginia Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
And don't volunteer to much information it only confuses them...

Dale

It is funny how many times I have seen this play out, sometimes with people wrestling failure out of the jaws of success.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: