Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'74 Thing Side Mirrors
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
texasmoondog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: '74 Thing Side Mirrors Reply with quote

Can't seem to keep my side mirrors to stay in place on the 74 Thing. Although I have gotten used to not checking them, it is not real safe when others take it for a spin so figure it is time to fix the glitch. Not sure if it matters but it is the Acapulco version. Also the doors move them around when swung open wide. Hoping someone here has already solved the riddle on the best option on replacing side mirrors as there seems to be a few to choose from.

Thanks!
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Thing Side Mirrors Reply with quote

There are many different mirrors out there so please post some photos of what you have installed.

Based on your description I would guess that you have a set of standard bus mirrors installed which are regularly marketed as "Thing Mirrors" even though they really aren't. The stems on these are too short to allow the doors to clear them when opened. These can be modified to work by adding stem extensions. It will probably be easier though to find a set with the stem extensions already installed since I rarely see the extensions offered for sale by themselves.

Even with the extensions added you'll still need to snug up all of the connections otherwise they'll move in the wind. I also highly recommend installing the plastic/nylon washers that are available for the connection to the body (or door if you have a '73).
texasmoondog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Thing Side Mirrors Reply with quote

Appreciate the info wbailey! It could be that these are aftermarket, but wouldn't really know how to tell. Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what she is sporting:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Thing Side Mirrors Reply with quote

Well you certainly already have the stem extensions in place however because of the lower-than-normal mounting points due to the surrey top frame you still have the interference problem with the doors.

I don't know if it's been done before but I wonder if you couldn't stack two extensions together to form an extra long extension that would give you the height and therefore the clearance that you need.
texasmoondog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Thing Side Mirrors Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Probably best to just start with getting the washers and a replacement set of mirrors and see how that works. The current ones just move too much during normal driving but that is less to do with the attachment to the car and more due to the mirror no longer being stable where it rotates on the arm connection to the mirror.

There are quite a few options out there. Any thoughts on a good replacement pair? There is a long set at thethingshop.com and another set at thingsforthething.com. If you've replaced them with another set I would welcome any recommendations.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Thing Side Mirrors Reply with quote

Maybe some clamp on side mirrors? Something that attaches higher up on the roof support.

I'd hate to modify an original part but you could also weld another mounting nut higher on the hinge plate. High enough to clear the door.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Thing Side Mirrors Reply with quote

Some mirrors mount through the door.

https://www.thingparts.com/right-side-door-with-threaded-hole-primer-r3/
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Thing Side Mirrors Reply with quote

I bought a stainless steel one from The thing Shop, I only have one on the driver's side. It's been problem free for several years now.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Thing Side Mirrors Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
I bought a stainless steel one from The thing Shop, I only have one on the driver's side. It's been problem free for several years now.

That would most likely interfere with the existing surrey top mount.

I have the hinge mounts as well and love them. Only thing is I think mine are made of bronze. Older model maybe?
texasmoondog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Thing Side Mirrors Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:

Thanks, that is the route I was looking at and appreciate the feedback. While the door may hit it if swung wide open, that is just another manageable quirk of owning a Thing to add to my growing list. Wink
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Thing Side Mirrors Reply with quote

I still have the original mirrors from my wrecked '74; stashed away for posterity.
The "long arm" passenger side mirror always tended to swing back slightly from extended freeway speed.

The original mirrors (or even high quality replicants) are expensive, and it always took a little bit of courage to reef them down tight enough to make them stay put. Ultimately, I used a couple of drops of blue loctite on the tapered cone portion of the vertical arm. That worked very well, so that "gorilla torque" wasn't needed.
(There's no "Command (Control) Z" once you snap off a fastener.)

I always thought that mounting the mirrors on the doors was a stupid idea (especially on a car with removable doors), but when I first drove my "new" '73 (with the mirrors on the doors), I was surprised to discover how much better the rearward visibility was (without the side curtains in place; I have yet to drive this car with the side curtains on).

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Thing Side Mirrors Reply with quote

It will help if you adjust the attachment arm so that it leans forward enough so that the mirror sits at the bottom of its ball and socket adjustment. This way the mirror can not droop. A couple of wraps of #14 solid copper wire twisted tightly around the joint between the ball and socket may lessen side to side movement.
texasmoondog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: '74 Thing Side Mirrors Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
It will help if you adjust the attachment arm so that it leans forward enough so that the mirror sits at the bottom of its ball and socket adjustment. This way the mirror can not droop. A couple of wraps of #14 solid copper wire twisted tightly around the joint between the ball and socket may lessen side to side movement.

That is the kind of shadetree mechanic advice that is in my wheelhouse. Thanks!
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '74 Thing Side Mirrors Reply with quote

Well here's my 2 cents worth
Buy good quality. The cheap comes out expensive

I've had my thing since 2004. I drive it everywhere from Apr till the Snow flys Best car I ever owned.. Bought it in San Diego tuned it up and changed the oil and Drove to the Thing shop install ed a top bought a new mirror and drove to Vt. Top is still good can't wait to drive it this summer..28 states and yes those mirror s slip out of adjustment from time to time Good luck on that and hope your luck with your thing is as good as mine..My favorite car out of more than 100+ cars..
Bill in PR but. From Vt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: