Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear package panel covering?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Rear package panel covering? Reply with quote

I am going to put some dynamat on the rear package panel. Then what?

What did VW use here? Some sort of vinyl?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear package panel covering? Reply with quote

My Fastback originally had a piece of board in there, similar to the door card board. It then had some kind of black vinyl stuck onto this board, but both the board and the vinyl had been totally destroyed by the hot Aussie sun, and crumbled as I removed them. So I made up a similar piece of board, then used straps to give it the same curvature as the metal shelf, and left it for several weeks with tension on the straps while I worked on the rest of the rebuild.
With a nice curve then set in the board, I glued some thin black felt carpet type material to the top surface of the board. I thought the felt type material would better withstand the sun, as well as minimise reflection, although I have also fitted a venetian blind in the rear window as well !
Under the board, I filled the grooves in the metal with some of the sound deadening stuff I have used behind the rear seat, and then I dynamatted the shelf. This meant the dynamat was relatively flat and not wavy in the grooves.
I then fitted the board in place over the dynamat, and as I intend to carry my grand children in baby seats in the back, I fitted two child seat restraint brackets, bolting them right through the metal shelf. These then held the board in position and kept the correct curvature.
When and if you make the piece of board, remember to cut it slightly short immediately behind the rear seat, because the seat back clips over the cross rail. I had to take mine all apart when I couldn't get my seat in, peel back the felt matting, and cut about 1 cm off the board !! Embarassed

I also have dynamat in the rear luggage compartment, as well as in the floor of the car from front to back, and I have to say my car is as quiet as anything when on the move. I am really pleased with the effectiveness of the Dynamat.
G

Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear package panel covering? Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks!

I'm also thinking about a venetian blind there.

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear package panel covering? Reply with quote

BTW, I also put sound / heat insulating foam (the stuff with aluminum film on one side) throughout the roof area before installing the roof liner. Once again, this was done instead of putting that original rag type sound insulation in the roof, and was also an attempt to keep the heat (and noise) build up to a minimum inside in the Aussie summer. Once again, in conjunction with all the dynamat, I feel this has really helped with both heat and noise build up, and makes my car a very pleasant place to be, except on the very hottest of days ! And if you are tempted to ask why I didn't put dynamat in the roof, the answer is that I felt that the black tar-type sticky stuff that Dynamat uses might melt with the direct heat on the roof, staining the head liner, so I used the heat reflective foam instead.
I look forward to getting my sheepskin seat covers in, covering (and protecting) the plastic seats, and eliminating the "wet shirt back" syndrome on hot days !!!

G
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear package panel covering? Reply with quote

Yeah, its originally a thin beige, tan board with some mohair shit on it for some deadening qualities.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear package panel covering? Reply with quote

Thanks again Qldelsie! I'm really hoping to get a quiet driving type-3 out of this. We used a fair amount of spray-on bedliner on the pan (top and bottom) and in the rear structure both to protect all the new metal and deaden panel noise.

Good tip on the use of dynamat under the roof. The guy who did the paint actually recommended it but I'll give it some more thought. You make a good point about heat.

Max
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rear package panel covering? Reply with quote

Max, I managed to find some photos of the original material used on my back parcel shelf.
Here is the parcel shelf as it was when I picked up my car

Here is a pic of the original rotten material that was underneath my parcel shelf when I got it

Here are a couple of pics of the original parcel shelf after I got it out. The second photo is a close up of the peeling vinyl type stuff that was on there.

A pic of the straps I put around the new shelf to put a bend in it.

And this is a pic of the label on the 3mm wood sheet I used for my rear shelf and the door cards as well (I saved the plastic trim, but the wooden door cards were totally rotted and warped, so I just transferred my saved plastic trim onto the new door card.)

Hope this makes it easier for you.

Giles
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rear package panel covering? Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
Awesome. Thanks!

I'm also thinking about a venetian blind there.

Max

I got mine from West Coast Metric. Love it - It not only works well at keeping the sun out, but get SO many favourable comments wherever I go. That, and the sun shade visor over the front windscreen probably get more comments than anything else !! Laughing

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rear package panel covering? Reply with quote

you can go to your local upholstery shop and get waterproof upholstery panels.

https://www.perfectfit.com/15347/154532/Chipboard-...Board.html

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: